About Us
Museum Membership
Event Schedule
Museum Newsletters
Museum Displays


Dr. G. H. J. Hart

                                              Arkansas City and Maple City.
Arkansas City Traveler, November 12, 1884.
Dr. Hart, of New Orleans, arrived in our city last week and intends to make his home here for several months, when, if the climate is favorable, he will permanently locate here. The gentleman is a physician by profession, but whether he intends to practice, we did not learn.
Arkansas City Republican, November 15, 1884.
Dr. G. H. J. Hart of New Orleans, who has been employed for the past two years as Quarantine Physician by the Board of Health of the state of Louisiana has arrived in our city and proposes to locate here permanently.
Arkansas City Republican, November 22, 1884.
John and Dr. J. D. Love, Rev. J. O. Campbell, Dr. G. H. J. Hart, W. D. Howlett, of Berlin Heights, Ohio, and Dr. J. A. Mitchell, did not go on their hunting excursion last week, but will start next Monday for the Cimarron River.
Arkansas City Republican, November 22, 1884.
Dr. G. H. J. Hart, the new physician, who lately arrived here from New Orleans, has secured office rooms over the post office. The Doctor has secured a splendid location and we hope he will meet with success. He is a pleasant conversationalist and has already formed many friends.
Arkansas City Traveler, December 17, 1884.
Dr. Hart is located over the post office block in cosy quarters.
Arkansas City Traveler, December 17, 1884.
A jolly popcorn party gathered at Dr. Hart’s rooms last evening.
Arkansas City Republican, December 13, 1884.
Dr. G. H. J. Hart inserts his professional card in the REPUBLICAN this issue.
CARD. DR. G. H. J. HART, Office over Post Office.
Diseases of women and children a specialty.
Arkansas City, Kansas.
Arkansas City Republican, December 13, 1884.
Dr. G. H. J. Hart has fitted up his office over the post office.
Arkansas City Republican, December 13, 1884.
The hunting party consisting of Drs. G. Hart, J. A. Mitchell, Love, Rev. J. O. Campbell, and others returned the first of the week.
Arkansas City Republican, December 13, 1884.

The Auction Social. Last Tuesday evening, at the residence of J. L. Huey, the social event of the season occurred. The Presbyterian ladies are renowned for their successful entertainments, but this, the auction social, excelled all others. The weather was somewhat inclement, but nevertheless the large residence was filled to its utmost capacity with guests to partake of Mr. and Mrs. Huey’s hospitality. The entertainment of the vast assemblage was begun by a panoramic view of a dream by Frank Hess. Mr. Hess indulged his appetite to too great an extent in mince pies, which caused him to pass into dreamland. As he lay in the arms of Morpheus, several unique, as well as very laughable, scenes were presented to the audience as Mr. Hess performed the role of a gentle deceiver. One scene was where Frank’s thoughts reverted to the laughing darkey who made the pie; finally Mr. Hess was awakened from dreamland, and the guests were then entertained by music and singing. The Chinese song, rendered by Messrs. Hutchison and Grosscup, was justly applauded. Their shadow picture imitations of Chinamen eating rats, resembled the real performance so perfectly that some of the guests’ appetites were stayed before supper was announced. The selling of the ladies now occurred. Rev. J. O. Campbell performed in the role of the auctioneer. To say that he was a success hardly expresses it. It sounded somewhat natural to hear his well trained voice crying: “I am offered 95, who will make it $1?” The auctioneering of the ladies was highly rousing, and the bidding lively. The good natured contest for the lady on sale, made the entertainment more enlivening. The ladies were all masked. The prices ranged from 75 cents up to $7.00, Miss Ida Lowe being the fortunate lady who brought that price. It will be seen by a glance at the list that Geo. W. Cunningham was almost equal to Brigham Young. We always knew George was a great admirer of the ladies, but never thought he had turned Mormon.
Among the list of “sold” ladies and their purchasers, appeared the names of Miss L. Guthrie to Dr. G. H. J. Hart. The purchase of a lady entitled the buyer to his supper. The handsome sum of $43.75 was realized in this manner. Mr. Cunningham’s disposal of one of his ladies to her husband for $1—25 cents commission. Songs were rendered by Mrs. Frank Beall, Rev. Harris’ two little boys, and others. Good instrumental music was interspersed in the programme. All in all, it was the event of the season.
Arkansas City Republican, January 3, 1885.
The guests of the Windsor Hotel paid a handsome tribute to Mrs. J. A. McIntyre, the hostess of that flourishing hotel Wednesday evening. They presented her with a beautiful turquoise ring, also a handsome pin. Dr. G. H. J. Hart made the presentation speech, and Mrs. McIntyre responded with thanks. Mrs. McIntyre is a lady in every sense of the word. To the guests of the Windsor Hotel she has made it a place of welcome. It is a just recognition of Mrs. McIntyre’s efforts.
Arkansas City Traveler, January 7, 1885.
The Episcopal ladies were overrun, New Year’s afternoon, with visitors, who came to enjoy their hospitality—which is renowned in Arkansas City. Dr. G. H. J. Hart was listed among the principal callers.
Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, February 7, 1885.

Thursday afternoon as Ed Bass and Bob McGinnis, both colored and the latter residing in West Bolton, were discussing some grievances they waxed warm. Frank Sheets, who was standing nearby was resorted to as a referee in the dispute. Finally the quarrel narrowed down to McGinnis and Sheets, which continued about a bird dog until the latter remarked that he could lick the former on less ground than he could stand on. McGinnis replied he did not want to fight and was not prepared to fight. Sheets wanted McGinnis to go outside of the city limits and fight it out, which we believe was finally agreed upon, Sheets turning and walking away. When he was several feet from him, friends who were holding McGinnis, let him loose. He started after Sheets and made several slashes at him with a razor, one cut taking effect in his neck, barely missing the spinal vertebrae, and inflicting an ugly wound. If the cut had extended but an eighth of an inch farther, it would have severed the external jugular vein, and Sheets would have bled to death. Two other slashes took effect on his shoulder and arm, but not making more than a scratch. The wounded man saw he was going to be carved and having nothing with which to defend  himself, started to escape. By this time McGinnis was prevented from doing any further damage by Capt. Rarick, who arrested and disarmed him. Joe Finkleburg and A. W. Patterson assisted the wounded man upstairs into Dr. G. H. J. Hart’s office, where his wound was dressed. The wound was about three inches in length. Dr. Hart washed, dressed, and took the necessary stitches quickly and in a manner which designated that he was perfectly familiar with this portion of his profession. Sheets stood the pain like a hero, never flinching. The hide on his neck was so thick that the needle would not penetrate, and an instrument was used in order to make the necessary stitches. After the wound was dressed, Sheets walked around about the same as usual. The scrimmage occurred on Summit Street, between the post office and T. R. Houghton’s harness shop. Henry Asp, the county attorney, was sent for, who came on the evening train. The preliminary examination was had before the Mayor, F. P. Schiffbauer. It commenced as soon as Asp arrived. A good part of Thursday night and until noon yesterday was used up in taking the evidence. In the afternoon the arguments pro and con were rendered before Mayor Schiffbauer. The charge was assault and battery with intent to kill. J. A. Stafford represented McGinnis and Henry Asp the State. The preliminary resulted in the mayor binding McGinnis over to appear at the next term of court in the sum of $400. We understand that McGinnis will give the necessary bond. Sheets was taken before Judge Kreamer and fined $1 for disturbance of the peace yesterday morning.
Arkansas City Traveler, February 11, 1885.
Thursday night, seeing a crowd gathering near the Post Office, ye local hastily “strode” thither to “catch on.” He found that the little razor had been on the war path with the usual attendant gore. The facts, as near as we were able to gather, were that Frank Sheets and Bob McGinnis had got into an altercation about a dog. The trouble was of long standing, and there has been a bitter tongue fight going on about the matter for some time. Thursday, one Bass, Frank Sheets, and Bob McGinnis came together. Bass and Sheets each wanted to “lick the waddin” out of the latter. McGinnis, in the course of the not overly polite, personal remarks, became greatly enraged, and after Sheets left, working himself into a white heat, he followed him up, giving Sheets three slashes with his razor, cutting him very severely on the back of the neck, and making a wound five inches in length and quite deep, the other two only taking effect in the clothing. Dr. G. H. J. Hart dressed the wound, and Sheets was around in the streets Friday, so that it was not serious. McGinnis had a preliminary examination before ’Squire Schiffbauer Thursday night and Friday morning was brought over to the Circuit Court.
Arkansas City Traveler, February 25, 1885.
Drs. Shepard & Hart will shortly engage in the practice of medicine together with offices in the Commercial block.
Arkansas City Republican, March 7, 1885.
Messrs. Frank Schiffbauer, J. W. Hutchison, and Dr. G. H. J. Hart visited Winfield Wednesday.
Arkansas City Traveler, March 18, 1885.

Dr. G. H. J. Hart is now located in Room 6 of the Hasie Block.
Arkansas City Republican, March 21, 1885.
Dr. G. H. J. Hart has his office in the Hasie Block. His former office is now occupied by Wm. M. Jenkins.
Between March and July 1885, Dr. Hart moved to Maple City...
Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, July 11, 1885.
The bill of Dr. G. H. J. Hart, of Maple City, of $22.50, reduced to $10.50 by finance committee, and allowed.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, September 10, 1885.
Dr. G. H. J. Hart and J. B. Johns were up from Maple City Monday.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, November 5, 1885.
Dr. G. H. J. Hart was up from Maple City Saturday.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, November 12, 1885.
Dr. Hart, Maple City, with John Snyder, of New Orleans, were guests at the Brettun Monday.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 4, 1886.
Maple City comes forward with a romance mixed up with love, jealousy, and slander. A very pretty and accomplished young lady, Miss Clara Andrews, well known to many of the young people of Winfield, and daughter of John Andrews, the cattle and sheep man at Maple City, is the central figure. John Snyder, a young man of twenty-four, who has been paying very devoted attentions to Miss Andrews, got “wind” of remarks that seemed to reflect on the character of Miss Andrews, and made threats that came to a clash Wednesday morning at about 10 o’clock, when he met the accused slanderer, John Marshall, in front of the Maple City schoolhouse. A few words ensued, when Marshall drew his revolver and sent a ball through Snyder’s head, and then gave himself up to the authorities. Sheriff McIntire was dispatched for, went down Wednesday afternoon, and at 2:51 Thursday arrived on the Santa Fe from Arkansas City with the prisoner, who was accompanied by the bride he wed only last Friday evening. Our reporter met the sheriff at the train and got his pointers and the story of the murderer.

“I knew John Andrews and family near Columbus, Ohio, from where I came to Maple City last November, intending to canvass as a book agent. I stopped with Andrews. I soon saw that the book business was no go, so I got up a writing school. Mr. Andrews had a lame shoulder, so in the day times I helped him. I got up his winter wood and did anything and everything. I asked no pay and got none. I didn’t try to go with Clara, and she treated me respectfully. During my stay here, John Snyder, a young fellow from New Orleans, who was living with whom he claimed as an old friend, Dr. G. H. J. Hart, came to see Clara and appeared to be badly “gone.” I never disturbed him. We knew each other, but were not intimate. I left Andrews a few weeks ago and went to boarding at Mr. Clay’s, my anticipated wife’s folks. Thursday week I was up here to get my marriage license, and in conversation relating to certain girls, whose fellows were busted, I said, ‘That’s nothing. We’ve got two fellows down our way whose girls keep them’—meaning Snyder and myself. This got to Snyder, and in a day or two a friend came to me and said that Snyder said I had been lying about his girl and he was going to horsewhip me, and this friend said I had better arm myself. I did so, and carried a Smith & Wesson 32-calibre in my coat pocket, cocked, a week before the fracas yesterday. Others told me that Dr. Hart had bought a black-snake and that he was going to hold me up with a revolver while Snyder horse-whipped me. I didn’t run across either of them until yesterday. When I was coming up from the spring with my big mittens on and a pail of water in each hand, I met Snyder and Hart taking their team across to the barn to hitch up. Snyder was twenty feet ahead of Hart, who was driving the unhitched horses. He threw down his wraps, done up with a shawl strap, and said: ‘You’re the s     of a b      I’ve been looking for, I’ll maul h    l out of you!’ He made for me, with his hand on his back pocket and I yelled ‘Halt!’ several times. He kept coming and I drew my cocked revolver quick as a flash, and shot. As I shot, he dodged, and the ball went into his head behind the ear, they say, and came out of his forehead. Snyder fell and Hart dropped the lines and rushed up. I yelled, ‘Halt!’ and came down on him, and he threw up his hands, where I held him, till the crowd came, when I gave myself up.”
Marshall is a young man of twenty-six, of sandy complexion, and rather small stature, a good face, and talks well. He was married last Friday night to Miss Clay, who is now at the jail with him. She is a girl of about sixteen, whose folks are old settlers of Maple City.
Snyder came from New Orleans two months ago, supposedly to visit his old friend, Dr. Hart. He and Dr. Hart, whose wife and three children are back in Ohio, boarded with Mrs. Goodrich. Snyder didn’t do much work, dressed only moderately well, and didn’t appear to have any money. His natural appearance was good and he took pretty well. It was well known that he was badly in love with Miss Andrews, and she seemed to reciprocate. On investigation Sheriff McIntire had Dr. Hart arrested as an accomplice, and Deputy Sheriff Joe Church brought him up by buggy this afternoon. No revolver was found on either Hart or Snyder after the affray, though it is claimed that Snyder was not searched until after Hart had examined and conveyed him to the office.
Snyder was unconscious up to death, which occurred at 10 o’clock last night.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 4, 1886.
The Arkansas City Democrat seems to favor the story of Dr. G. H. J. Hart’s implication in the Maple City tragedy, and makes him out a very tough citizen. It says he was formerly a resident of Arkansas City and left a very unsavory and unsuccessful reputation.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 4, 1886.
Coroner H. L. Wells and Capt. H. H. Siverd, after nearly two days’ examination, concluded the inquest on the body of John Snyder, at Maple City, Saturday afternoon. Thirty-two witnesses were examined. The jury, J. G. Shreves, Geo. Eaton, H. S. Libby, S. S. Blakesley, and P. S. Gilgis, returned a verdict that John Snyder came to his death on January 27, 1886, from a pistol shot fired by John W. Marshall. About the only new facts developed, other than those given in THE COURIER, came from William Clay, father-in-law of John Marshall, the murderer. He said: “Three or four days before the shooting, I met Jack Snyder crossing the street. He said, ‘Where is Marshall?’ I answered, ‘In the house.’ He said: ‘I am going for the s      of a b      before I leave town.’”

“There was a dance at my house during the holidays and Snyder, who was there, handed me a revolver, saying he did not like to have it jolting up and down in his pocket while he was dancing. I laid it in the bureau drawer. When he came for it in the morning, he said, ‘It is not a nice thing to carry, but I hain’t gone without one since I was a boy.’”
Robt. E. Howe said that Dr. Hart did buy a whip of him within the week before the tragedy. Hart told him he bought it to whip a dog with.
Leo J. Anthis said: “I saw Snyder in Artherton’s store on January 22nd. His whip was hanging on a nail behind the counter and he asked one of the boys to hand it to him. He rolled it up and stuck it under his vest. I said, I suppose you are going to jump into some old cripple? He said, ‘No, but I give you a pointer that I am going to use it.’ Dr. Hart soon came in and the subject of horse-whipping Marshall came up.”
Mr. Drury said, “I understand that you are going to hold Marshall up with a pistol while Snyder whips him? Dr. Hart answered, ‘That is the way of it.’”
Mr. Drury continued, “That kind of business has never been done in this county and the people will not allow it. If Marshall has done him wrong, the law should punish. Hart said, ‘You would not want your wife or sister brought into law. I intend to stand there with my pistol in my pocket and see that Jack whips him and that no one interferes.’”
E. A. Goodrich said: “I met Dr. Hart at Artherton’s store. He said, ‘Wait a few minutes and you will see some fun. Jack is going to horse-whip Marshall.’ I told him he could not do it. He answered, ‘I am going to stand by see it done.’ I told him the people would not allow it. He said: ‘How can they help it and me with this,’ showing me a revolver. I then went to Justice of the Peace A. Gilkey, and told him to stay in town or appoint someone to watch and stop the trouble. He said he would stay himself.”
John Drury: “On Jan. 22nd I saw Dr. Hart in my store and asked him if it was true that he had said he was going to hold Marshall up with a revolver while Snyder whipped him with a horse whip. He first denied it, then said if he had said it, he said it in a passion. He believed it ought to be done and in his country (New Orleans) it would be done. Other talk was had when Hart called me out on the steps and said he would take back all he said—he didn’t mean a word of it and he wasn’t positive he had said it, and anyhow he didn’t intend to do it.”
Melinda Clay, mother-in-law of Marshall, said she had seen both Hart and Snyder have revolvers at her house. She had heard Marshall say he should protect himself if they went for him. Heard Marshall say he was afraid Snyder would attack him and that he would prepare himself for defense.
H. B. Wiser: “On the 10th I went to get medicine of Hart and he told me he was going to leave the next Friday—he wouldn’t stay in a place where they slandered so much. I told him that I would not pay any attention to that. We need a good doctor here and I wanted him to stay. He said he was going to have his partner give a son of a b     a good whipping before he left. They would whip him just like a nigger in New Orleans—horse-whip him. I told him he had better let that out. The neighbors would not stand it. He might get hurt doing the deed. He said he was not afraid; he would hold his ‘pop’ down on Marshall while his partner did the business.”

Dr. Hart’s testimony, touching the whipping points only slightly, is in exact contradiction of the evidence as given above. He swore that himself or Snyder were not armed at the time of the shooting and never were. Also that Marshall held him up, after firing the fatal shot, and had a passing school boy search him; that no weapons or whip was found on either he or Snyder.
Capt. Siverd showed us the revolver and bullet this morning. The weapon is a 32-calibre, double-action Smith & Wesson. The bullet’s course, from the evidence, indicates that Snyder was turning to run when the ball struck him—behind the left ear, going through the brain over the left eye, glancing and lodging over the right eye. The bullet was badly mashed. Nothing regarding Miss Andrews or the reports circulated by Marshall about her and Snyder were brought out in the evidence.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 4, 1886.
Dr. G. H. J. Hart, who was arrested and brought up by Deputy Sheriff, Joe. Church, charged with complicity in the murder of John Snyder, swore out a warrant for John Marshall, Thursday. The Doctor was released until after the preliminary examination of Marshall, who was taken before Justice Buckman, Friday morning. The preliminary was set for February 8th, at one o’clock, with bonds at $5,000. Of course, Marshall can’t give bonds and won’t try. Dr. Hart’s story gives a very different phase to this tragedy. Hart and Snyder were raised together and the Doctor thought a great deal of him. Snyder was a young man of refinement, was a good singer and talker, and performed nicely on the piano. Andrews’ were the only ones in the neighborhood who had a good instrument and Snyder in this way got very friendly with the family. He thought a great deal of Miss Andrews. He admired her beauty and accomplishments, but was not particularly in love. He had been engaged for several years to a girl back east. He was raised in the south and was of that extremely sensitive southern nature, and when he heard what Marshall had said about himself and Miss Andrews, he told Hart that he proposed, before returning home to New Orleans, to give Marshall a good pounding. The Doctor tried to persuade him out of the idea; said it was a foolish thing to fight over, and to let it go. Nothing was said about any horse whipping: Snyder was going to leave the next day. “When we met Marshall Tuesday morning, Snyder started for him—I knew there would be a fight. Knowing that Snyder had no revolver, I thought there would be only a little knock down, and started around my team to get a view of the affair. Just as I got in plain view, only a few steps off, I noticed Marshall stoop over and as he raised up, brought out his revolver and fired. Snyder, on seeing the revolver, was just in the act of wheeling to run when the ball took him behind the left ear, coming out over his left eye. He fell over on his face, without uttering a word. I ran up and was going to pick him up when Marshall covered me and held me up. Snyder breathed only mechanically until 10 o’clock, when he died. He never knew, farther than the momentary sight of the revolver, what hurt him. He said not a word to Marshall. He never carried or owned a revolver in his life, and I never carried one but three days in my life. Neither of us had the sign of a weapon about us.” The Doctor telegraphed to Snyder’s parents at New Orleans today, took a casket down with him, and will inter the body tomorrow. Miss Andrews, who is postmistress at Maple City, is greatly distressed over the terrible tragedy in which she is innocently the central figure.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 11, 1886.

The preliminary examination of John Marshall for the murder of Jack Snyder, at Maple City, on the 27th ult., was concluded at 10 o’clock Tuesday, before Judge Buckman. County Attorney Asp conducted the prosecution and McDonald & Webb the defense. Very few facts were deducted—mostly held back for the District Court trial. The evidence was merely a reiteration of that at the Coroner’s inquest and published in THE COURIER. The fact that Marshall was twenty feet away from Snyder when the fatal shot was fired and that Snyder had actually turned around and had taken one step toward retreating, were proven by several witnesses. About thirty witnesses were examined. It was proven also that Dr. Hart had bought a whip and had threatened to horse-whip Marshall, but afterward took it all back and said that nothing of the kind would be done. Marshall was bound over with bond at $5,000. He will languish. Dr. Hart, the principal witness, was put under $200 bond for his appearance and the other witnesses under bonds of $100 each. A large number of Maple City people attended the trial, the court room being a jam.
Arkansas City Traveler, February 24, 1886.
A Card. The TRAVELER is requested to publish the following vindication of a former resident of this city.
ARKANSAS CITY, KANSAS. DEAR SIR: We wish to state through the columns of your paper, since Dr. Hart has been at Maple City, his conduct has been the reverse of that reported in the Arkansas Valley Democrat. Instead of proving himself a dead-beat and failing to pay his bills, we have personal knowledge of his having made sacrifices to be able to pay his debts. His conduct has been that of an honorable man, and he has been held in the highest esteem as a physician in this community. [Signed by] Geo. Eaton, R. P. Goodrich, R. E. Howe, Geo. A. Sutton, A. M. Severy, Robt. Haines, M. Anthis, John Drury, O. L. Goodrich, S. L. Howe, A. L. Hubbard, J. L. Andrews, H. S. Gibbs, H. S. Libby.
      Winfield Courier, Thursday, March 4, 1886.
Dr. G. H. J. Hart, of Maple City, has sold his effects and departed. He went to Winfield and from there to Atchison and from there the general supposition is that he went to New Orleans. He was under a $200 bond to appear as a witness in the Marshall murder trial.
Arkansas City Republican, April 10, 1886.
John Drury was over from Maple City Tuesday en route to Winfield to attend the Marshall murder trial, which was docketed for Wednesday. Dr. G. H. J. Hart came back from the south to Maple City several days ago.
Arkansas City Republican, April 24, 1886.
Dr. G. H. J. Hart, we are told, has located at Glenn Allen, Morris County.


Cowley County Historical Society Museum