About Us
Museum Membership
Event Schedule
Museum Newsletters
Museum Displays


Dr. W. R. Davis

                                                         Winfield, Kansas.
Winfield 1878.
Davis, W. R., 45; spouse, F. M., 35.
Winfield Directory 1880.
DAVIS, W. R., physician and surgeon, 9th avenue n. s. bet Main and Millington;
r. Manning w. s. bet 12th avenue and Blanden.
DAVIS, W. R., 9th avenue n. s. between Main and Millington.
Winfield 1880.
Davis, W. R., 46; spouse, Mary F., 35. Also listed: M. J. Davis, female, 52.
                                               FROM THE NEWSPAPERS.
Winfield Courier, February 3, 1876.
DR. W. R. DAVIS, from Kentucky, a physician of 27 years’ practice, has located with us. He comes highly recommended.
Winfield Courier, February 10, 1876.
We were in error last week in stating that Dr. W. R. Davis had been a practicing physician for 27 years. It should be 23 years.
Winfield Courier, February 10, 1876.
We take from the True Kentuckian, published at Paris, Kentucky, the following flattering notice of a new citizen of Winfield:
“Dr. W. R. Davis and family left us yesterday for Kansas. We regret sincerely to give them up. The Dr. has been a practi­tioner in our midst for several years, and by his decided ability and success as a physician, his uniform kindness and courtesy, christian and gentlemanly bearing, has won the highest respect, esteem, and love of us all. His wife (daughter of P. G. Seamands) is a most estimable lady and will prove a solid addi­tion to any country they may settle in. We wish them success, and heartily recommend them to the people of their new home.”
Winfield Courier, March 23, 1876.
Dr. W. R. Davis resides in the dwelling opposite his office on 9th Avenue.
Winfield Courier, May 4, 1876.
Dr. Davis recently had a fine buggy shipped from Kentucky, enclosed in two large boxes full of blue grass seed.
Winfield Courier, May 25, 1876.
We are pleased to note that Dr. W. R. Davis has purchased the Swain land near town. It is a valuable tract for suburban residences, containing 154 acres. This looks as though the Dr. had become a permanent citizen, a hope we have often heard expressed since our people formed his acquaintance.
Winfield Courier, June 15, 1876.
Dr. Davis drives a pair of bays now to a handsome buggy.
Winfield Courier, July 27, 1876.
P. G. Seamonds and wife, parents of Mrs. Dr. Davis, are here from Kentucky on a visit. Of course, they are pleased with Kansas.

Winfield Courier, July 27, 1876.
Dr. Davis has moved into the Menor’s addition to Winfield, having purchased and occupied the residence of Mrs. L. H. Howard.
Winfield Courier, August 17, 1876.
Last Sunday morning Dr. Davis, assisted by Dr. Headrick, performed a surgical operation on a child of a Mr. Turner, from Grouse Creek. The operation consisted of straightening a “club foot” and was entirely successful.
Winfield Courier, September 14, 1876.
JETHRO COCHRAN and Dr. Davis own adjoining farms near town. They have both claimed a certain spring or well. The line was run the other day and it crosses the well precisely in the middle. If we didn’t know the County Surveyor intimately, personally we might say, we might be inclined to think that it was not “a singular coincidence.”
Winfield Courier, October 5, 1876.
Bill of B. F. Baldwin, $13.10, against Cowley County, medicine for one W. Hudson, a pauper of Winfield Township and City, was read, and on motion the council recommended the county commissioners to pay the same.
Bill of J. E. Searle, $20, attention and care of same W. Hudson, a pauper, was read and on motion the council recommended the commissioners to pay the same.
D. A. Millington, mayor, taking the chair, the bill of Dr. W. R. Davis, $64.50, was read and council recommended the bill be allowed for $43, medical attendance on same Hudson, a pauper.
Bill of Robt. Hudson, $50, for board of same Hudson, a pauper, and attendance on same was read and council recommended the same to be allowed for $40.
Winfield Courier, December 14, 1876.
Notice. All persons indebted to me will please call and settle at once. Your accounts are now due and I need the money. Corn, oats, hogs, potatoes, and wheat will be taken on accounts, and the highest cash prices in this market allowed. W. R. DAVIS, M. D.
Winfield Courier, February 15, 1877.
Dr. J. L. Williams. With pleasure we announce the arrival in our city of the above named gentleman with his family. He comes to stay, and has already formed a partnership with Dr. W. R. Davis in the practice of medicine and surgery. Dr. Wil­liams comes highly recommended, being a graduate of the Kansas City Medical College, also of the Sterling Medical College of Columbus, Ohio. The latter is one of the oldest and most cele­brated medical universities in the country. The Dr.’s wife is the daughter of Dr. Conley, one of the faculty of the Kansas City  Medical College, and joint proprietor of the Kansas City Surgical Institute. Drs. Davis and Williams have their offices in the corner brick block, upstairs, and the finest rooms in the city, where they will be pleased to see their friends and patrons at all times. The Dr.’s family is stopping temporarily with his cousin, Judge McDonald, where he can be found when not profes­sionally engaged.
Winfield Courier, February 22, 1877. Editorial Page.

The taxpayers and farmers of Winfield Township are grievously disappointed at the action of Saturday’s meeting. They are no more so than the same class of men all over the county. It is a common cause. That our readers may see that our conclusions are justified, we give the names of the following heaviest taxpayers in town, who were in favor of a change of the law, and who have so expressed themselves: C. A. Bliss, C. C. Black, Dr. W. R. Davis, Col. J. M. Alexander, J. C. Fuller, J. B. Lynn, Dr. W. Q. Mansfield, B. F. Baldwin, D. A. Millington, Rev. J. E. Platter, J. P. Short, S. H. Myton, E. C. Manning, R. Hudson, W. L. Mullen, Wm. Rodgers, Max Shoeb, Ira Moore, J. P. McMillen, J. M. Bair, J. S. Hunt.
Besides these gentlemen there is a large class of smaller taxpayers in town of the same mind. Outside of the city limits four-fifths of the farmers are in favor of a change in the law.
Winfield Courier, April 19, 1877.
W. R. Davis, pauper bill: $60.00.
Winfield Courier, May 10, 1877.
Dr. Davis’ buggy is ornamented with a new top.
Winfield Courier, May 10, 1877.
See dissolution notice of Drs. Davis & Williams in another column.
Winfield Courier, May 10, 1877.
Dissolution Notice. The co-partnership heretofore existing between Drs. W. R. Davis and J. L. Williams under the firm name of Davis & Williams, is this day dissolved by mutual consent. We will both for the present continue to occupy the same office in Manning’s corner brick building. Partnership accounts have been left with Henry E. Asp for collection.
Winfield Courier, May 17, 1877.
A change will be noticed in Dr. Davis’ card, which appears on the first page.
Will practice Medicine, Surgery, and Obstetrics. Special attention given to Surgery and diseases of women and children. Prompt attention given to all calls, day or night. Office in Manning’s Brick Block.
Winfield Courier, July 12, 1877.
Davis & Williams, pauper bill, Rejected. [Claimed $16.50.]
Winfield Courier, September 20, 1877.
BIRTH. And now cometh Dr. Davis and testifyeth that it is a boy and he has named him Winfield Cowley Davis. Good, Doctor, good.
Winfield Courier, November 1, 1877.
Drs. Davis and Mendenhall have formed a partnership for the practice of medicine. Both of them stand at the head of their profession. See their card on the first page.
CARD: W. R. Davis, M. D. W. S. Mendenhall, M. D.  Drs. DAVIS & MENDENHALL.
Having associated themselves together in the practice of medicine, offer their services to the citizens of Winfield and adjacent country. Particular attention given to surgery and diseases of women and children.
Office upstairs, Corner of Main and 9th Avenue. (Manning’s Brick.)
Prompt attention to all calls, day or night.
Oct. 27th, 1877.

Winfield Courier, November 22, 1877.
FRIEND MILLINGTON: Have you ever heard of Cowley County? Of Winfield? Of Kansas? Well, it beats the world how things grow out West! What sudden and wonderful development our country makes! How our population increases!
There was Dick Walker, who was not satisfied with being sheriff a second term, and mayor of Winfield, and so he brought on a walker to keep him company.
This got Doctor Davis on his ear, and he sent right off and got a full-blooded Kentuckian, but gave him a Kansas name.
Then Judge Gans thought he would trump that card, but he missed it, for it was only a girl.
Then our accommodating county recorder, E. P. Kinne, resolved not to be out of the fashion, and he bought a ten pound boy.
After Dr. Mendenhall formed a partnership with Dr. Davis, of course he could not afford to be behind the times, so he rushed out one night and caught a bouncing big boy.
Then J. B. Lynn, chuckling in his sleeve, said he’d show ‘em, and sent all the way to Kansas City for a little lady.
But how Tom Bryan laughed to himself, waiting till these other fellows got through, when he went up to Topeka to see the state treasurer, and now Tom has a bran new boy weighing nine and a half pounds. Yours, SAMMY
P. S. I forgot John D. Pryor, who, you know, is a broker. Well, seeing how matters were going around town, he broke out and fished up the sweetest little girl in town.
And there’s Bill Hackney—well, he won’t be behind anybody, and nothing would do him but to take a run into Sumner County, or into the territory, and bring back a full-fledged attorney-at-law, weight nine pounds.
Won’t these chaps have a big Thanksgiving. SAM.
Winfield Courier, February 21, 1878.
EDITOR COURIER: I left Winfield on the 12th inst. on a ramble, called to see many of our farmers, especially in the eastern part of the county. I found them, generally, in good spirits, but rather blue over so much mud. I think, myself, this mud question is rather thin after my week’s ride through it.
On my trip I visited the quiet little town of Tisdale; met at this place J. W. Wright, late of Clark County, Iowa. He is both farmer and doctor. I also called upon W. D. Lytle, late of Fremont County, Iowa, who has purchased a drug store in Tisdale, and is keeping a general line of drugs; he is also studying medicine under directions of Dr. Davis, of Winfield.
Davis & Mendenhall erect office on Ninth Avenue...
Winfield Courier, February 21, 1878.
Davis & Mendenhall are erecting an office on Ninth avenue.
Winfield Courier, February 21, 1878.

South street, of Vernon, seems to be the most unlucky part of Cowley County this winter. Scarcely a family that has not been afflicted. Apollo Kimble is the worst off, with liver complaint. Dr. Davis is attending him. Mrs. Baker, under the treatment of Mrs. Ware, is about her work again. Mrs. Ware is an excellent nurse. Mrs. Duncan is better.
Winfield Courier, February 28, 1878.
BIRTH. A mass meeting of women was called by Charles Duncan at midnight. He was very anxious to know if it were a boy or a girl. The majority decided in his favor that it was. Charles would not trade it off for the best mustang pony in the country. Dr. Davis expounded the scripture on the occasion.
Winfield Courier, March 14, 1878.
Escape of Prisoners. Young Finch went into the jail about 11 o’clock on Monday evening; his father, the jailer being absent at Wichita, to get the light and lock up the cells. On entering a cell, he was immediately shut in by the prisoners and two of them; a colored man charged with horse stealing, and Bilson, the Arkansas City man charged with stealing jewelry, escaped. Hostetler remains. Says he did not want to leave. A good horse is missing from Dr. Davis’ place and a poker from the jail was left in place of the horse.
LATER. The white man has been retaken.
Winfield Courier, April 11, 1878. Supplement.
Lost. A large black morocco pocketbook, containing a memorandum book of charges, between Winfield and Arkansas City. The finder will be suitably rewarded by returning the same to me at Winfield. DR. W. R. DAVIS.
Winfield Courier, May 9, 1878.
Claim of W. R. Davis, $94.50, vs. Estate of Hiram Chase. Allowed.
Winfield Courier, June 6, 1878.
Webb was held over in jail to Monday for his preliminary examination. On Monday he was very low and weak; too ill to be moved, and his examination was postponed until his condition will permit of it. Dr. Davis, who is attending him, expresses the opinion that his mind was in a shattered condition.
Dr. Davis shares office with Coldwell & Son...
Winfield Courier, July 25, 1878.
DR. W. R. DAVIS will continue the practice of Medicine and Surgery in Winfield. Particular attention given to diseases of women and children. Office with Coldwell & Son.
Winfield Courier, August 8, 1878.
A project is on foot to cut through the mound between the farms of Col. Alexander and Dr. Davis to make the Tisdale road run straight into Elm Row.
Winfield Courier, August 8, 1878.
H. C. Loomis to W. R. Davis, off se. ¼ commencing at a point 516 feet north of the sw. cor. of said ¼ sec., thence n. 50 feet, thence e. 94 feet to w. line of Millington Street of Loomis’ addition, thence s. 50 feet along w. line of said street, thence w. 94 feet to beginning, 28-32-4.

Winfield Courier, September 5, 1878.
Dr. Mendenhall was called to Illinois on Sunday morning to be absent four weeks. Dr. Davis will occupy his office and attend to all calls left there.
Winfield Courier, September 19, 1878.
One of the most important witnesses for the defense was Jessie Herndon, the principal witness for the State. As is known, he was Page’s barkeeper and knew all about how the business of the house was conducted. The defense had endeavored to draw out this testimony on cross-examination but the court would not permit it, and he was put on as a witness for the defense. He testified as to all the occurrences of the night previous to the killing and made many important additions to his testimony. He said that Page deliberately robbed Webb that night by means of cold decks and drugged whiskey; that Webb drank often that night, and Page had instructed witness to give Webb liquor from a particular bottle he called “all sorts,” which witness did; that twice during the night Page went into the bar-room and put some liquid from a small vial which he took from his pocket into a tumbler of whiskey and instructed witness to give it to Webb the next time he called for drink, which witness did; that this bottle of “all sorts” was a villainous compound of whiskey and drugs, which Page kept for the express purpose of giving to men with whom he was gaming; that shortly before the conclusion of the game, and after Webb had drunk the whiskey prepared by Page, Page went into the bar-room and stacked a deck of cards, and instructed witness the next time drinks were called for to bring this pack under the water or server, and while Webb was engaged in drinking to leave them under the server on the table, which witness did, and then Page dealt from this cold deck, giving Webb a full hand and himself a better hand, on which he won all Webb’s money, and this concluded the game. Witness testified to some expressions of anger made by Webb to Page upon the conclusion of the game, saying he was robbed, but to no expressions of malice or threats of revenge. All the parties to the game remained an hour or more after its conclusion, Webb drinking frequently; then all left except Webb, who remained alone with witness. Webb never left the saloon from that time to the time of the shooting. Witness testified as to Webb’s condition and appearance during the day; said he looked very wild and had a jerking movement about his head, neck, and shoulders, was convulsive, and breathed hard. Witness testified that after the preliminary examination he went with By Terrill and Frank Manny to the saloon to make an examination for drugs. They washed out several empty bottles and one bottle that contained something that Page had used to put in liquor; what it was he did not know. When they emptied it out and washed the bottle, he told Terrill and Manny that it was not right. He testified that certain vials and small bottles shown him looked like those which Page had used to fix up liquors with.

This witness suffered considerably in the hands of W. E. Stanley, attorney for State, on cross-examination. His attention was called to statements he had made before Justice Boyer at the preliminary examination in direct contradiction to his present statements. These contra-dictions witness explained by saying he had been advised by certain friends of Page that if he told anything he knew about these transactions in the saloon they would let Webb go and send witness up; that from those threats and the general excitement he was afraid to tell all he knew about that saloon.
Further testimony for the defense from Burt Covert, G. L. Walker, James Fahey, P. Hill, A. H. Green, R. F. Baldwin, Ed. Bedilion, and Dr. W. R. Davis corroborated Herndon in relation to the wild and insane appearance, the convulsive twitching movements of the throat, head, and shoulders of the defendant immediately before and subsequent to the shooting; also showed the finding of some small bottles and vials in the counter used by Page in his saloon; that these vials were taken from the counter sometime after the shooting and preserved with their contents and are the same that are now exhibited in court; and the testimony of Drs. Davis, Rothrock, and Furley showed that these vials contained opium, nux vomica, and India hemp, and that these compounded and administered would produce the symptoms described in the defendant and would produce insanity.
Winfield Courier, September 26, 1878.
NOTICE. Dr. W. R. Davis will return to Kentucky about the first of October. All claims against him should be presented before that time, and all persons indebted to him must call and settle before that time to save trouble and expense.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, January 2, 1879.
The following is a list of new buildings erected in the city of Winfield since January 1, 1878, with the name of owner and cost of building.
Dr. Davis, two residences, frame: $650.
Winfield Courier, July 3, 1879.
Dr. W. R. Davis left for his home in Kentucky last Monday. The doctor was very reluctant to leave our little city, and we expect, before many months, to see him back among friends in Cowley County.
Winfield Courier, July 10, 1879.
Dr. W. R. Davis, of Nicholasville, Kentucky, who by the way was a highly esteemed citizen of our city and who owns a valuable farm close by, has been spending a few weeks visiting his friends here and started Monday last on his return to his “Kentucky home.” Were it not for his interests and wide practice in his native State, he would become a permanent resident here.
Winfield Courier, September 4, 1879.
Dr. Davis returned last week, bringing his family, bag and baggage, and from all appearances, will make Winfield his future home. We always had an idea that the doctor couldn’t stay away from Cowley.
Dr. Davis locates upstairs, Bahntge Building, corner of Main and 10th Avenue...
Winfield Courier, September 18, 1879.
Dr. Davis’ card appears in this issue. The doctor has concluded to resume his practice here, and has established an office in the Bahntge building.
CARD: W. R. DAVIS, M.D., Offers his professional services to the people of Winfield and surrounding country. Office in Bahntge building, upstairs, corner Main and 10th Avenue. Special atten­tion given to surgery and diseases of women and children.
Residence on Manning Street, Southwest part of city.
Winfield Courier, December 11, 1879.

The organization of the Southern Kansas Medical Association, spoken of last week, was effected at Wichita, on Dec. 3. The following officers were elected.
President: Dr. C. C. Furley, of Wichita.
Senior Vice President: Dr. W. R. Davis, of Winfield.
Junior Vice President: Dr. Hartley, of Newton.
Secretary: Dr. W. S. Mendenhall, of Winfield.
It was decided to hold the next meeting of the Association at Winfield, Jan. 2, 1880.
Winfield Courier, January 22, 1880.
A meeting was held at Manning’s Hall last Wednesday evening to consider a memorial to Congress asking that a right of way for a railroad be granted through the Indian Territory from Arkansas City to Fort Smith.
Mayor Lynn was called to chair and J. E. Conklin chosen secretary.
A committee, consisting of C. C. Black, C. Coldwell, W. R. Davis, J. L. Horning, and M. L. Robinson, was appointed to prepare a memorial.
Winfield Courier, January 22, 1880.
On January 17th, the ladies who met for the purpose of organizing a public reading room and library, received reports from the four ward committees who had been canvassing the city.
The city had obtained 63 lady members at $3 per year and received $175.00 in books, $77.75 in cash, 10 papers (daily, etc.), 1 clock and bracket, 2 window shades, and several pic­tures. The southwest ward has been but partially canvassed.
A committee on constitution was appointed, consisting of Mrs. Van Doren, Mrs. Dr. Davis, Mrs. Wallis, Mrs. Trimble, and Mrs. Holloway. This committee is to report at next meeting.
Mrs. Earnest, Mrs. Hickok and Mr. Beach were made a commit­tee on procuring a suitable room, to report at next meeting.
Meeting adjourned to meet at 4 p.m., Jan. 22nd, at the Baptist church.
Everybody interested in this important enterprise is ear­nestly requested to be present at this meeting. MARY A. BRYANT, Sec’y pro tem.
Winfield Courier, April 8, 1880.
Last week Dr. W. R. Davis received a call from Kentucky to attend a gentleman who was taken ill and thinks no one can cure him but Dr. Davis. From this we should judge that the doctor is missed as much there as he is appreciated here.
Dr. Davis turns lower part of Alexander building on East 9th Avenue into offices...
Winfield Courier, June 17, 1880.
Dr. W. R. Davis has fitted up the lower part of the old Alexander building on Ninth avenue, and will hereafter occupy it as offices.
Winfield Courier, August 26, 1880.
Upon Examination of the county records we elicit the star­ling information that only thirty-two physicians have filed their certificates with the county clerk as required by law. Here they are.

Danl. E. Anderson, A. C. Barr, George Black, D. W. Cole, Jas. A. Chapman, F. M. Cooper, D. Cunningham, Judson A. Chapel, W. R. Davis, P. K. Dobyns, Geo. Emerson, W. G. Graham, Jas. P. Graham, Jas. A. Griffith, J. J. Harden, C. G. Holland, Geo. M. Hawkins, Jno. B. McDill, W. S. Mendenhall, M. E. Munger, A. G. Mudgett, Jas. H. Pleasants, J. W. P. Rothrock, J. W. Wright, H. B. Rude, Robert H. Reed, Jas. T. Shepard, W. M. Schofield, S. C. Tomlinson, Jas. Vawter, Sylvester Wilkins, J. J. Wolf, Wm. T. Wright, Geo. P. Wagner, Homer & Wells.
                          Thirty-five names were listed for doctors: not thirty-two.
Winfield Courier, October 28, 1880.
Winfield Courier, December 9, 1880.
Dr. W. R. Davis has been appointed surgeon of the Santa Fe railroad. Correct. The doctor is worthy of this compliment to his professional skill.
Winfield Courier, December 16, 1880.
Mrs. Dr. W. R. Davis has returned from Kentucky, where she has been visiting.
Winfield Courier, December 16, 1880.
A meeting was held in the council rooms last Thursday evening to consider means for temporary assistance to those in want in our city.
John B. Lynn was made chairman, and James Kelly, secretary.
By a vote of the meeting the city was divided into four wards by Main street and Ninth avenue, and committees were constituted as follows.
Northeast ward:  Mesdames T. R. Bryan, Dr. Graham, and Rev. J. Cairns.
Northwest ward:  Mesdames McDonald, McMullen, and Miss Service.
Southwest ward:  Mesdames Spotswood and Jillson, and Miss Mary R. Stewart.
Southeast ward:  Mesdames Hickok, Silver, and Swain.
Committees to solicit contributions were appointed as follows.
Northeast:  Mesdames Holloway, Linticum, and Troup.
Northwest:  Mesdames Short and Dr. Davis and Mayor Lynn.
Southwest:  Mesdames Earnest and Landers, and Mr. R. D. Jillson.
Southeast:  Mrs. Rigby, Miss L. Graham, and Mr. W. A. Freeman.
Lynn & Loose tendered their front basement for a storage room for the committees.
The committees were requested to meet in the council rooms on Tuesday, Dec. 14, at 2:30 p.m. to form plans of operation.
Winfield Courier, January 6, 1881.
The Arkansas City Democrat says:
Dr. Shepard is very low with fever. Drs. Mendenhall and Davis, his attending physicians, think his condition is very critical.
Winfield Courier, January 20, 1881.

TERRIBLE ACCIDENT. Winfield has in the past been unusually fortunate in having had but few accidents resulting in the loss of life. We are sorry to be obliged to chronicle one which is the most horrible that can befall a human being. A colored girl, working in the family of W. C. Carruthers, is the victim. Last Thursday evening while working about the stove, her dress in some manner caught fire. Messrs. Harris and O’Hare were spending the evening at Mr. Carruthers’, and while engaged in the parlor with the ladies, they heard terrible screams from the kitchen. The next moment the colored girl burst into the room enveloped in flames and rushed through into an adjoining bedroom. Mr. Harris tried to get the piano cover to throw around her, but it was fastened to the piano. In an instant the girl rushed back through the parlor into the dining room and jumped into a tub of water which was standing near. The gentlemen followed her, pushed her down into the tub, and with the water put out the flames and tore the charred remains of clothing from her. The skin was burned to a crisp and partially adhered to the clothing. Her screams were horrible and roused the whole neighborhood. The next morning she was removed to the poor house. Dr. Davis says she will not live. Several articles in the rooms through which she passed were set on fire. The girl was one of the “exodusters,” and has been here about five months.
Winfield Courier, January 20, 1881.
Last night about nine o’clock the home of W. C. Carruthers was the scene of a terrible event. C. C. Harris and Joe O’Hare were visiting at the house and they heard screams from the dining room. They rushed to the door and a living mass of flames burst into the room and ran screaming through the parlor and into the bedroom. It was the colored servant girl who had set fire to herself from the stove. After reaching the bedroom, she jumped on to the bed, but before any relief could be given her, she jumped up and ran through the rooms into the kitchen and jumped into a tub of water. By this time, Mr. and Mrs. Carruthers, who had gone to bed, came rushing to the scene. Mrs. Carruthers commenced tearing the clothes from her, and she and her husband pressed her into the water and extinguished the flames. Judge McDonald, from his residence on the opposite side of the street, heard the screams, saw the flames, and reached the unfortunate girl about the same time Mrs. Carruthers did. He gave what assistance was possible. Doctor Davis was called, and he says the girl was literally roasted alive, and will die as a result of her injuries. The rooms were set fire to in several places, but the flames were extinguished without any serious damage. The authorities took the case in hand, and have removed the girl to the poor house, which is the best under the circumstances. Her name is Ann Garr, and of large and strong build. She came here last summer with a party of “exodusters.” Her present sufferings are frightful and death will be a relief.
Winfield Courier, January 27, 1881.
MR. AND MRS. J. C. FULLER. Socially this has been one of the gayest winters in the history of our city. Almost every week has been made pleasant by a social gathering of some sort or other. One of the most pleasant of these was the reception by Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Fuller last Friday evening. The guests were many and the arrangements for their entertainment were complete.

Among those present were: Mr. and Mrs. Loose, Mr. and Mrs. James Harden, Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Hunt, Mr. and Mrs. Hodges. Dr. and Mrs. VanDoren, Mr. and Mrs. McMullen, Mr. and Mrs. Eastman, Rev. and Mrs. T. F. Borcher, Mr. and Mrs. T. R. Bryan, Dr. and Mrs. Davis, Mr. and Mrs. Gene Baird, Mr. and Mrs. Short, Dr. and Mrs. Graham, Mr. and Mrs. Boyer, Mr. and Mrs. Trimble, Mr. and Mrs. Moffitt, Mr. and Mrs. Speed, Mr. and Mrs. Doane, Mr. and Mrs. Kretsinger, Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Shreves, Mr. and Mrs. Millington, Mr. and Mrs. Spencer Bliss, Mr. and Mrs. Scovill, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Brown, Mr. and Mrs. Allen Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Carruthers, Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Black, Mr. and Mrs. S. L. Hamil­ton, Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Fuller, Rev. and Mrs. Hyden, Mr. and Mrs. D. L. Williams, Mrs. Mansfield, Mrs. Mullen, Miss Mary Stewart, Miss May Williams, Father Kelly, O. F. Boyle, and Charles Fuller.
Winfield Courier, January 27, 1881.
The Ladies’ Library Association met at the library rooms on Tuesday, January 25th, and elected the following members as directors. Mesdames D. A. Millington, T. R. Bryan, T. G. Ticer, W. R. Davis, W. O. Scovill, J. C. Fuller, J. Swain,          Eastman, J. P. Butler, George E. Raymond, W. P. Hackney,           Wallis, A. E. Baird, M. L. Read, E. S. Bedilion, A. H. Doane, G. Emerson, J. A. Hyden, A. T. Spotswood, C. S. Van Doren, J. W. McDonald, J. S. Mann, J. S. Loose, J. A. Earnest. The six last hold over under the constitution. The three first are re-elected.
Winfield Courier, January 27, 1881.
Doctor Davis in last Tuesday’s Telegram has a very interest­ing article on boring for coal. Many of our best businessmen are of the opinion that our future prosperity largely depends upon the solving of the question, whether or not we have coal within working distance. Doctor Davis’ plan is to organize a company at once, with a capital stock of thirty thousand dollars, make a small assessment on each share, and proceed to boring. He gives his own name and there are others who will each take one thousand dollars of stock. This starts the ball, let us keep it rolling. Later: The good work is started and the company organized.
Winfield Courier, February 3, 1881.
Charley Black and Dr. Davis went down to Arkansas City Tuesday to see them vote against the sale of the stock.
Winfield Courier, June 9, 1881.
Ben Cox broke his leg between the ankle and knee Wednesday, while wrestling with A. D. Speed. He was immediately taken in charge by Dr. Davis and the bones reset. The injuries are very painful, but we hope will not prove serious.
Winfield Courier, June 16, 1881.
Dr. Davis, M. L. Robinson, and W. P. Hackney will start next week for New Mexico. They did not start this week as was first intended.
Winfield Courier, June 16, 1881.
A considerable number of the citizens of Winfield met on Monday evening on the steps of the Winfield Bank to provide for raising funds for the immediate relief of the sufferers caused by the cyclone Sunday evening. Mr. Crippen called the people together by music from the band.
W. R. Davis gave $5.00.
Winfield Courier, July 28, 1881.

Monday morning Dr. Mendenhall assisted by Drs. Green, Davis, and Henry, amputated Daniel Sheel’s leg just below the knee. This was the only chance to save his life, as the bone below the point of amputation was dead. He is now doing as well as could be expected. This is a sad ending of Dan’s trip to the west.
Winfield Courier, August 4, 1881.
Mr. M. L. Robinson and family left on the Santa Fe train Monday for the west. They went first to Kansas City, and from there will start west, Mrs. Robinson and family for California, while M. L. will join J. L. Horning and Dr. Davis in a ramble over the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico.
Winfield Courier, August 25, 1881.
M. L. Robinson, Dr. Davis, and 76 Horning are bracing up the wilds of New and Old Mexico.
Winfield Courier, October 27, 1881.
Amos Mounts, a little son of Mr. J. H. Mounts, of Liberty township, was out herding on Friday evening, last, was playing around a pony, when the pony suddenly kicked him, crushing in his skull. Drs. Emerson and Davis were summoned as soon as possible. They operated upon the skull, taking out a piece and raised the balance. The boy revived and it is thought he will recover.
Winfield Courier, November 10, 1881.
The Grand Hunt proved a grand success. Several catastrophes are reported. Jake Nixon burst a barrel of his fine breech-loading gun, Tom Soward lost a “plunger,” and Deacon Harris got soaking wet. The score was a very fair one!
J. N. Harter: 830                                        A. D. Speed: 170
J. M. Keck: 1,000                                      B. F. Cox: 290
G. A. Rhodes: 975                               C. C. Black: 90
T. H. Soward: 335                               G. L. Eastman: 2,375
S. Burkhalter: 480                                Dr. Davis: 450
Jacob Nixon: 80                                         E. Meech, Jr.: 285
Fred Whitney: 765                                Q. A. Glass: 180
____ Chapman: 980                                   Deacon Harris: 500
Total: 5,445                                                Total: 4,360
The defeated party gave a big banquet at the Brettun Friday evening and the tired and hungry sportsmen fed their friends and told of the hair breadth escapes of “mud-hen” and turtle-dove. Skunks counted fifty, but none were brought in.
Dr. Davis: one door east of stone livery barn, 9th Avenue...
Cowley County Courant, November 17, 1881.
W. R. DAVIS, M. D. Office, 9th avenue, 1 door east of the stone livery barn. Residence, corner 8th avenue and Manning street, just west of Lynn’s new building.
Cowley County Courant, November 17, 1881.

We regard Dr. Davis, who came from the blue grass region in Kentucky, as a public benefactor. He has been the means of getting hundreds of bushels of blue grass seed sown here, the good effects of which are seen in the parks and all over town. Give us one or two good seasons and it will take the country.
Cowley County Courant, December 29, 1881.
Dr. W. R. Davis, of Winfield, will, if Dr. Standiford does not put in an appearance soon, complete and take charge of the sanitarium at Salt City. Arkansas City Democrat.
Winfield Courier, February 9, 1882.
We have been compelled to leave out an interesting communication from Dr. Davis on the lock-jaw case to which we alluded last week. The Doctor gives a full history of the case and some facts that will stir the anti-lock-jaw fellows up. It will appear next week.
Winfield Courier, February 16, 1882.
The physicians have been on the anxious seat in regard to Dr. Davis’ lock-jaw communication, which appears on the first page this week. The Doctor makes a plain statement of the case.
Winfield Courier, February 16, 1882. Front Page.
More Lock Jaw.
WINFIELD, KANSAS, February 4, 1882.
EDS. COURIER: Disclaiming all idea of offending or of obtaining for myself a cheap advertisement and regretting the apparent necessity for so doing, I yet deem it but justice to myself to notice an article in your paper of the 2nd inst., in regard to a case of lock-jaw in the person of one Adam Bass, a young negro man, who came under my surveillance on the 18th day of January and was discharged as relieved on the 27th day of the same month, just nine days after I was called.
The inference clearly deducible from the item as given you, is that the physician who waited upon said Bass was ignorant of his true condition and that the fellow was playing “possum” on him all the while, or as medical men would express it, he was malingering; for your item says: “finally Dr. Green was called and taking Dr. Emerson, they went out. The Doctor was satisfied in his own mind that the fellow was shamming and on this theory began a rigorous treatment, etc., and got him to admit that he was not so bad off as he thought.”

On the 19th day of January, said Bass was reported as having dislocated his shoulder and damaged his side by a fall in a well. I first saw him in company with Drs. Headrick and Green, and we examined him in the presence of Dr. Wells. As to his hurts, we found the ribs upon the left side evidently very sore and tender to the touch, while the shoulder was much inflamed and swollen around the joint. We all concurred in the opinion that there had been a dislocation and that it had been properly adjusted by Dr. Wells, and I deemed it but just to Dr. Wells to so state, and left the case in his hands. The following morning I was again called and refused to go, but told Dr. Wells that he had best go, and he did so. At noon the boy’s father again came for me and I again refused to go, but being told by him later that Dr. Wells wished to retire from the case, I visited him in the afternoon and found him with locked jaws, or that form of tetanus known as trismus. Dr. Emerson was then with me and I understood him to fully concur with me in the diagnosis, and he gave him a very thorough and searching examination and suggested a dissection of the offending nerve if we could establish what nerve to cut. I visited the boy after this for several days twice daily and each time found his jaws closed so firmly as to defy all my efforts to unlock them. I gave him chloroform several times and at least once had him completely anesthetized, or under its influence, and yet failed to move them. The boy had besides the closed jaws other prominent symptoms of tetanus. (I use the words tetanus, trismus, and lock-jaw as synonymous.)
The scholarly gentlemen who made the wonderful discovery that he was only malingering know full well that time enough (9 days) had elapsed for his partial recovery, if he was to recover at all, and further that the spasm attending this trouble does go off, just as it did in his case, i.e., relaxing and often returning for many days after the patient is considered relieved.
The day that they visited him together, Feb. 1st, I had positively refused to go, because as I informed the messenger there was no need of it, and that he would get well without further treatment. It may be that towards the close he did play “possum” to a certain extent in order to attain the sympathy of his dulciana, but I submit that no man could maintain as he did for several days and nights in succession an uninterrupted rigidity of the muscles of the jaw, defying all attempts at opening, and further assert that there would naturally be less difficulty in opening his jaws after the violence, if the trouble had been overcome or had passed away. I should not have commented on this matter but for the large amount of talk growing out of it upon the streets and the fact that it is largely known that I was the doctor made to appear so ignorant in diagnosis. Allow me to add that I set up no superior claims of intelligence, in fact, I am painfully aware of my own ignorance and freely admit that the world, and Cowley County more especially, contain very many wiser and greater men than myself. Still I have learned to go slow on diagnosis and avoid hasty conclusions, and when I know that I do not comprehend a case, I am always willing and ready to admit it.
Dr. I. Fleming, a practitioner of age and experience, a gentleman and a scholar, recently here from the state of Indiana to attend his son-in-law, Mr. Ticer, visited Adam Bass with me during the 7 or 8 days when he was at his worst, and when neither of the gentlemen who visited him for the first time did see him, hearing the matter freely canvassed on the streets, kindly mailed me the following certificate, which explains itself.
I have the honor to subscribe myself very respectfully, W. R. DAVIS, M. D.
Cowley County Courant, March 23, 1882.
Tally one for the telephone. It is being extended into the country. Dr. Davis is building a house on his farm on the mound east of town and will soon move out. He will keep his office in town and have telephonic connection with his farm house.
Cowley County Courant, April 13, 1882.
Last Saturday J. P. Baden sold his house and lot on tenth avenue to Dr. Schofield, and yesterday he bought the Dr. Davis residence on the corner of eighth avenue and Manning street, paying we understand $1,500 for the same.
Cowley County Courant, April 13, 1882.
Misfortunes never come singly. Sunday night Dr. Davis had a valuable horse stray away from his stable. Monday afternoon one of his little boys had a finger cut off in a cutting box, and the same evening the Dr. received a severe kick on the leg from a vicious horse standing in the stable. The only consolation he has is that he advertised the strayed horse in THE COURANT, and found him Monday.
Winfield Courier, April 13, 1882.

Dr. Schofield has purchased J. P. Baden’s residence on Tenth Avenue. Mr. Baden immediately bought Dr. Davis’ residence on Eighth Avenue, for $1,500. J. P. don’t propose to be turned outdoors if he can help it. Dr. Davis will move out to his farm east of town.
Dr. Davis moved office to room upstairs in Myton’s new building...
Cowley County Courant, April 20, 1882.
Dr. Davis has moved his office into the room upstairs, just south of the telephone central office, in Myton’s new building.
Cowley County Courant, April 27, 1882.
Dr. Davis is now number two on the telephone list, having had an instrument put up at his residence this morning.
Cowley County Courant, May 11, 1882.
DIED. The dead body of Amanda Franklin, a young colored girl eighteen years of age, was brought from Wichita on the 11 o’clock train Wednesday. She had been at work for Frank Williams of the Occidental Hotel in Wichita, for some time past. The circumstances surrounding her death are somewhat suspicious.
It seems that one Tom Mills, a young colored man, who has been quite intimate with the girl, procured for her a small phial of oil of tansey, at one of the drug stores. The phial was found in the girl’s trunk and about two-thirds empty. It is surmised that the twain had been criminally intimate, and the tansey was pro­cured and used, to perpetrate an abortion, for which it is said to be a specie. Of course, this is only conjecture, but the circumstanc­es, we think, warrant us in the statement. This, coupled with the fact that the girl had about a year ago an illegitimate child makes the suspicion doubly strong.
It is claimed by the friends of the girl that her death was caused by the sudden breaking and discharge of a tumor in the throat, which they say she was af­flicted with. And so it is telegraphed from Wichita from the physician who sends what he says is a part of the tumor thrown up, but which Dr. Emerson says is but a piece of beefsteak, the contents of her stomach. The coroner, Dr. Wells, is at this writing summoning a jury for the purpose of holding an inquest; and it is understood that an autopsy will also be made, when he will be able to give our readers the exact facts. Under the circumstances it is rather singular, to say the least, that the matter was not more fully investigated at Wichita.
LATER. As we go to press the post mortem is being held and establishes the fact of the girl’s pregnancy. Although the examination is not yet complete, there can be no doubt as to the cause of the girl’s death.
STILL LATER. Examination completed. The odor of the oil of tansey in the stomach shows, clear and distinct. The autopsy was conducted by Dr. Emerson, assisted by Davis and Wilson, in a very scientific manner.
Dr. Davis moves again: now on Main Street, over Earnest’s store...
Winfield Courier, April 20, 1882.
Dr. Davis has his office on Main Street once more—over Earnest’s store.
Winfield Courier, April 27, 1882.
Dr. Davis has removed his family to the farm east of town and has had a telephone put up between the City and the house. Persons can call him from any telephone.
Winfield Courier, April 27, 1882.

J. P. Baden has moved into the residence recently purchased of Dr. Davis and is building an addition, new fences, and otherwise beautifying the premises.
Winfield Courier, April 27, 1882.
Mrs. Hill, living just across the river west of Bliss’ Mill, was gored by a mad cow last week and her arm fractured. The cow also took after Dr. Davis and came near catching him. She was finally killed, and since three other cows and two hogs have shown decided symptoms of hydrophobia. Look out for mad dogs.
Winfield Courier, April 27, 1882.
Dr. Davis has twenty acres of blue grass, sown four years ago, and which affords excellent pasture for his stock. He says blue grass in Cowley is a success.
Winfield Courier, May 18, 1882.
We are told that there is great complaint in some quarters, charging that the prosecutions of several physicians charged with prescribing intoxicating drinks in violation of law is a political move got up only for the persecution of Democrats. It is stated that only Democratic physicians are interfered with, etc. Dr. Wells, they admit, however, is an exception; but they say he is an enemy of Hackney, which is the reason he was classed as a Democrat.
Now we have known Dr. Wells, not only as a Republican, but as a friend of Hackney up to the time the Doctor was arrested, and we have known Dr. Headrick many years and have always understood him to be a Republican. Dr. Cole and Dr. Fleming are all whom we have known as Democrats, who have been proceeded against here. If the object was to persecute Democrats, Dr. Davis would have been the first one to strike at, for he is the most powerful and influential Democrat of the whole lot.
Now, we do not see what anyone in this county wants to persecute Democrats for. They are generally good fellows, some of them are very popular, and none of them are politically dangerous in a county which has eleven hundred Republican majority. We do not observe any ill feeling towards the Democrats. They are patronized in business by Republicans just as well as are Republicans. Who ever refused to employ or trade with Judge McDonald, or John B. Lynn, or A. T. Spotswood, because they are Democrats? Who refuses to eat dinner at the Brettun because the proprietors are Democrats? H. S. Silver sells just as many seeds as though he was a Republican, and the whole community seems just as friendly to Democrats as Republicans, and would resent an outrage on one just as strongly as the other. Some of our most valued friends are Democrats, and the thought of discrimination outside of politics never entered our mind.
Winfield Courier, May 18, 1882.
A Big Picnic. The A. O. U. W. Society of Winfield are making arrangements for a grand basket picnic in Riverside Park, May 25th. Twenty-five neighboring lodges have been invited, special trains will be run, and a general good time indulged in. The following committees have been appointed.
Devotional exercises: Revs. Platter and Cairns.
Reception: J. S. Mann, W. R. Davis, J. F. McMullen, C. A. Bliss.
On grounds: Wm. Hodges, A. B. Snow, B. F. McFadden, John Burroughs, S. G. Gary, Wm. Caton, T. J. Harris, D. Dix.

On music: W. C. Carruthers, B. F. Wood, G. S. Manser, Chas. Green.
On Finance: B. M. Legg, A. D. Hendricks, J. N. Harter, H. S. Silver.
On invitations: E. T. Trimble, W. J. Hodges, G. F. Corwin.
On Printing: A. B. Sykes.
The committees are hard at work perfecting arrangements, and intend making this a memorable event in the history of their Society.
Winfield Courier, May 18, 1882.
The Poison Case. In the case of the colored girl, Amanda Franklin, who died at Wichita last week, the coroner’s jury returned a verdict to the effect that she came to her death from the effects of oil of Tansey procured for her by one Thos. Mills. A post mortem examination was held by Drs. Emerson, Davis, Wells, and Wilson, which disclosed the fact that the girl had been in a delicate condition for about two months, and also that she had taken a very large dose of oil of Tansey. The circumstances seem to indicate that young Mills was the cause of her trouble and had got her the medicine. Mills is under arrest at Wichita.
Winfield Courier, October 5, 1882.
The following accounts were presented and referred to the County Commissioners.
Johnston & Hill for 2 coffins and box: $22.50.
J. A. Earnest, groceries for poor: $12.00.
Harter Bros., Medicines for poor: $19.35.
Dr. Emerson for professional services: $22.00.
Dr. Davis for professional services: $89.00.
Winfield Courier, November 9, 1882.
Sporting News. The Grand Annual hunt of the Winfield Sportsmen’s Club took place last Thursday. The club met at the Brettun House Monday evening and elected J. N. Harter and Fred Whitney captains. Each hunter, with the advice of his captain, selected his route, and most of them went out to the field the evening before. The following is the score.
J. N. Harter, Capt., 2,700; Jas. Vance, 1,400; Frank Clark, 1,140; Frank Manny, 200; Jacob Nixon, 1,780; Ezra Meech, 620; Sol Burkhalter, 610; Dr. Davis, 310; C. Trump, 150; Ed. P. Greer, 160; E. C. Stewart, 120; G. L. Rinker, 360. TOTAL: 9,550.
Fred Whitney, Capt., 110; G. W. Prater, 290; J. S. Hunt, 1,130; C. C. Black, 1,070; Jas. McLain, 1,000; A. S. Davis, 100; H. Saunders, 130; Q. A. Glass, 240; A. D. Speed, 240; Dr. Emerson, 190; J. S. Mann, 100; J. B. Lynn, 000. TOTAL: 4,660.
The gold medal was won by Mr. Harter. The tin medal will be won by J. B. Lynn. On next Wednesday evening the nimrods will banquet at the Brettun, at the expense of the losing side. The score made by Mr. Harter has never been equaled in this county.
Winfield Courier, November 23, 1882.
Dr. Davis was in this neighborhood recently hunting. Some of his family visited at Mrs. Johnson’s and the Dr. was anxious to be on hand for his dinner. I am ready for mine.
Winfield Courier, December 14, 1882.

Mrs. J. W. Hoyland was quite sick, but under the care of Dr. Davis soon recovered her former health.
Winfield Courier, December 28, 1882.
DIED. Miss Hanchet, a deaf and dumb girl living east of town, died very suddenly in spasms Monday evening. Drs. Davis and Emerson made a post mortem examination Tuesday and found that she had died from the effects of strychnine poison, probably administered by her own hand. She had been despondent ever since her brother, Frank Hanchet, died, and had threatened suicide. She was twenty-eight years old and could read and write fluently. The funeral was held Wednesday.
Winfield Courier, January 4, 1883.
Little Walter Hoyland has been very sick and we all feared the death angel would come for the little darling; but through the kindness of Providence and the excellent but careful treatment of Doctor Davis, his little feet still linger on earthly paths.
Winfield Courier, February 1, 1883.
The following petition was circulated last week by Frank Manny, taken to Topeka, and presented by him to Senator Hackney.
WINFIELD, KANSAS, January 23, 1883.
HON. W. P. HACKNEY, State Senator, Topeka, Kansas.
Inasmuch as the Prohibition Amendment, as enforced, has always resulted in injury to the material development of our town—it having signally failed to accomplish the object sought, the suppression of the sale and use of intoxicating drinks—we would respectfully urge upon you the necessity of so providing for the enforcement of the law that its application shall be uniform throughout the State. If this is impossible, don’t sacrifice our town on the altar of inordinate devotion to an impracticable principle.
W. R. Davis signed the above petition.
Winfield Courier, March 1, 1883.
Dr. Davis will have a sale next Tuesday, a notice of which appears in this paper.
Winfield Courier, March 1, 1883.
PUBLIC SALE. In order to pay my debts, I will at my place, three quarters of a mile east of Winfield, sell to the highest bidder, on Tuesday, March 6th, all of my personal property, consisting of household and kitchen furniture, farming utensils, stock and grain, as follows: Two buggies; two good milch cows; two nice young ponies; 50 or 60 excellent stock hogs; 2 to 3 hundred bushels of corn; one stack of hay; 25 shocks of corn in field, 20 bushels of oats, 20 bushels of wheat, grain sacks, plows, harrow, etc.; one nearly new Emerson piano.
Also at same time and place, 1 vacant lot in the city of Winfield. Sale to commence at 12 o’clock sharp. Terms. All sums of $10 and under, cash; over that amount a credit of six months will be given, purchasers giving bankable notes bearing 12 percent interest. My farm of 160 acres is for rent. The right man can probably have it for a term of years. Money rent will be required. Also for sale privately, an 80 acre farm 6 miles north of Winfield, a fair box house and never-failing spring, with twenty acres in cultivation on the place; good neighbor-hood and fair stock range. Will exchange for wagon and team and am prepared to offer a big bargain. If not sold by the 6th of March, will be rented, for money rent only. All persons knowing themselves indebted to me will call and settle at once, as I mean business.

Winfield Courier, March 15, 1883.
Mr. Vance attended the sale of Dr. Davis and bought a family buggy.
Mrs. J. W. Hoyland is mending slowly. She is under the medical care of Dr. Davis.
Winfield Courier, March 29, 1883.
Dr. Davis returned from an extended trip through Missouri, eastern Kansas, and the Indian Territory. He saw some very fine country, but none as nice as Cowley. He says that when he returned home and looked from his farm, saw our beautiful valley, with Winfield resting in its bosom, he made up his mind that Winfield and Cowley were indeed blessed.
Dr. Davis: located again over Sam Myton’s new store...
Winfield Courier, March 29, 1883.
If sold within the next 10 days, will give a better bargain than will ever be offered again on my farm of 160 acres adjoining the city of Winfield. To be appreciated it needs only to be seen, and it must at least double in value within the next five years. Also an improved 80 acre farm and 1 city lot at bed rock prices. Long payments will be given. If not sold, these two farms are for rent, low for money rent. If rented to the right man, he can obtain privilege of re-renting for a term of years. My reasons for selling are a desire to change my business. Call on Dr. W. R. Davis, over Sam Myton’s. March 27, 1883.
Winfield Courier, April 12, 1883.
There seems to be quite a number sick at this writing. Mrs. Hoyland, we learn, is improving slowly. Mrs. Rief has been very sick and had Drs. Irwin and Davis. Is getting along nicely now. Mrs. Watsonberger has been quite sick but is better. Olivia was visiting at Chapell’s Thursday, started for home after enjoying herself with their company most all day, and the horse she was riding had been standing in the stable for some time, so of course he was ready to go. She was unable to hold the horse, and after running half a mile, she was thrown near Mr. Dalgarn’s. We fear she is worse than anyone supposed. Hope she will soon be able to perform this dreadful task. Mrs. John Walker’s little boy is not expected to live. Everyone is complaining of bad colds. I will not bother you longer with my scribbling for I think I am too old for a newspaper man. PANCAKE JIM.
Dr. Davis and family moved to Vinita, Indian Territory...
Winfield, Courier, April 19, 1883.
Dr. W. R. Davis came up from Vinita, Indian Territory, Saturday to finally settle up his business. He has his family located and likes the country. The Doctor is an excellent physician and a good citizen, and will be a valuable acquisition to Vinita.
Winfield Courier, April 19, 1883.
If you are indebted to Dr. W. R. Davis, call at our office and settle at once before costs are made. JENNINGS & TROUP.
Winfield Courier, April 26, 1883.
The following account was presented and referred to the finance committee.
W. R. Davis, Med. Attend., City Poor: $95.00.

Winfield Courier, May 10, 1883.
W. R. Davis, medical attendance city poor, $95.50, rejected.
Winfield Courier, February 28, 1884.
Dr. W. R. Davis is up from Vinita, Indian Territory, for a few days to settle up business and see old friends. He is in good health and spirits and family all well with a new daughter in the family. His son, Sam. E. Davis, is with him at Vinita, having been released from the army a few weeks ago. His military experience in New Mexico has been useful to him and now he will go into such civil pursuits as will bring his bright talents into play and we expect to hear of distinction and honors for him at no distant day.
Winfield Courier, May 22, 1884.
Sam E. Davis is now an attorney at law in Lamar, Missouri.
Winfield Courier, May 22, 1884.
Dr. W. R. Davis came up from Vinita, Indian Territory, just in time to catch the circus in town, and spent a few days around the old familiar haunts.
Winfield Courier, May 22, 1884.
Dr. W. R. Davis is offering his beautiful farm east of and overlooking the city for sale at $10,000. The location is a fine one and most of it will, in time, be covered with residences and be a part of the city.
Winfield Courier, May 22, 1884.
A Special Bargain. The Dr. Davis farm adjoining Winfield, with ten acres of orchard, fifteen acres of blue grass, one hundred acres in cultivation, a good house, spring and well, suitable to be made into suburban lots. Twenty-five acres overlooking the entire city. Price $10,000. This place is worth $16,000. Call on or address Limbocker & Albright.
Winfield Courier, July 24, 1884.
We have received a copy of the Lamar Daily Rustler, Sam E. Davis, editor. It appears to be of the Republican persuasion.
Winfield Courier, August 21, 1884.
Dr. W. R. Davis came in Monday. He looks hearty and is dressed up like a New York fashion plate.
Winfield Courier, August 21, 1884.
A Valuable Farm for Sale at a Sacrifice. A chance for big money to be made. Before renting for another year, I will sell my farm adjoining the City of Winfield for less money then it will ever be offered for again. This proposition will hold for 10 days only, after which it will be for rent. Parties desiring a bargain and the best bargain now on this market, will find it to their interest to call on me at office of Troup & Jennings, for the next five days, or on Albright and Limbocker Real Estate Agents for the next ten days; after this, it will be withdrawn. I mean business. W. R. DAVIS, M. D.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 12, 1885.
Anyone wishing to rent the Dr. Davis farm east of Winfield, or a part of said farm, can get terms and particulars by calling on J. H. Sorey, 3 miles northeast of Winfield.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, March 12, 1885.

Dr. W. R. Davis has been up from Vinita, I. T., for several days. He came to plat a part of his farm, near the mounds, for an addition to the city.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, March 26, 1885.
The City “Dads” held an adjourned session Monday evening.
The committee previously appointed to report territory for incorporation recommended that the city attorney commence legal proceedings at once to have the following described tracts of land added to the city’s corporate limits: Beginning at the northwest corner of the Morehouse property, near the railroad crossing to the Tunnel mill; running along the township line to the southeast corner of Howland’s quarter, then north to the northeast corner of same quarter, then east 80 rods, then north one mile to the northeast corner of same quarter, then east 80 rods, then north one mile to the northeast corner of west half of Dr. Davis’ quarter; then west three-fourths mile to northeast corner of Vandeventer quarter; then south to Manny’s brewery; then following on south side of Dutch Creek and east side of the Walnut to west line of right of way of the Santa Fe railroad; then following railroad south to corporation line. The report was adopted, and the city attorney will proceed at once to file the proper petition before Judge Torrance and the hearing is set for the 20th of April.
The following re “Davis residence” might refer to Dr. W. R. Davis...
Winfield Courier, Thursday, June 18, 1885.
The college committee and trustees returned to their homes Wednesday. The grounds for the college were surveyed and the stakes set for the building site. The building will be located on the five acres of table land, on the mound just north of the Davis residence—the prettiest site imaginable. The college can be seen from there for miles around.
Following item reveals that Dr. Davis moved back to Kentucky...
Winfield Courier, Thursday, June 25, 1885.
BLUE GRASS SEED FOR SALE. I have now on hand over 1,000 bushels of extra fine Blue Grass Seed of this year’s crop, gathered and handled by myself and properly cured. For the next 30 days will place on the cars at Paris, Ky., at 65 cents per bushel here. Sacks free. Will not sell a less amount than 50 bushels. CASH orders only attended to. This is seed that can be relied on. Cowley County equals this for Blue Grass. Sow in September, October, February, March and April
Address DR. W. R. DAVIS, North Middleton, Bourbon Co., Kentucky.
Question: Does the following apply to Dr. and Mrs. W. R. Davis...
Winfield Courier, Thursday, July 2, 1885.
The following are the real estate transfers filed in the office of Register of Deeds yesterday.
Mary F Davis and husband to Chas F Bahntge, se qr 22-32-s-4e, 160 acres: $11,500.
Chas F Bahntge to The College Hill Town Company, se qr 22-32-s-4-e: $22,400.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, July 2, 1885.

It is learned that the college grounds at Winfield are located on what has been known as the Dr. Davis farm, east of the city, and a very beautiful situation. It was a question with the locating committee, at first, whether to accept the twenty acres of land offered or the $10,000 in money offered in lieu of the land. The question was referred to the college trustees, but they referred the decision back to the locating committee, and they finally elected to take the land. Wichita Beacon.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, August 6, 1885.
Rev. S. R. Reese, of Holden, Missouri, has purchased, through Messrs. Curns & Manser, the Dr. Davis homestead in College Hill, for $1,155. Mr. Reese intends moving to Winfield at an early day and will make valuable improvements on the property purchased.


Cowley County Historical Society Museum