About Us
Museum Membership
Event Schedule
Museum Newsletters
Museum Displays


John S. Andrews

                                                          [Handled Sheep.]
                     Silverdale Township and Maple City, Silver Creek Township.
                                               FROM THE NEWSPAPERS.
Winfield Courier, June 30, 1881.
Mr. J. P. Musselman completed the sale of the I. F. Austin place in Silverdale township, and came up Saturday to make out the papers. The purchaser was a Mr. Andrews, of Belle Plaine. He has several thousand sheep and purchased this place for a stock farm.
Arkansas City Traveler, August 10, 1881.
We received a pleasant call last week from Mr. Andrews, of Silverdale. This gentleman recently purchased the Austin place, and is now occupying the same as a sheep ranch.
Winfield Courier, January 19, 1882.
Sheep Items. BOLTON TOWNSHIP, January 16, 1882. As the sheep interest in Cowley has become one of considerable importance, perhaps a few items from this locality would not come amiss.
In 1881 Bolton Township had but 63 sheep. At this time I know of over 4,000, and the number will be doubled before another winter, as most sheep owners are anxious to add to their flocks. The winter has been a very favorable one, and where there is plenty of range, little or no hay or corn has been fed. Mr. Pink Fouts, at Willow Springs, Indian Territory, ten miles below us, has a flock of 4,000, and reports his sheep fat. He has but sixty tons of hay and does not expect to feed half of it.
Scott & Topliff have 2,500 head and about 70 tons of hay. They have not fed yet, except their Merino sheep shipped from Ohio last fall.
Most flock masters dipped late last fall, some not until the middle of November. Mr. Fouts had to dip twice. The first time he tried the “Scotch Dip,” and pronounced it a failure, and afterwards used a preparation of lime, creosote, arsenic, and a whole list of other drugs. The last dip proved effective.
Mr. Croker, west of Bolton, is grazing his sheep this winter and don’t intend to feed at all. He has his house on wheels and follows them from one range to another.
Mr. Hill, just in the corner of Sumner Co., shipped a carload of Colorado wethers to St. Louis a few weeks since, where they sold for $2.16 each. The freight on a single decked car was $70. When the yardage $10., fee $6., and commission $5, was deducted, the sheep netted $1.31 per head. They averaged 78½ pounds, and sold for $1.75 per 100 pounds.
Mr. Andrews has a large flock in Silverdale Township. He prefers losing lambs in the spring rather than in the fall, and will have his lambs come in April. Flock masters differ, as well as others. Many do not believe in taking the chances until grass is sufficiently plentiful to afford plenty of feed for the ewes, and the ewes plenty of milk.
Very little complaint is made against wolves, but dogs are a great annoyance in every direction.
Winfield Courier, February 23, 1882.
We were pleased to meet Mr. John Andrews, one of our largest sheep men, Wednesday. He is holding his stock in Silverdale Township.
Winfield Courier, May 10, 1883.

Mrs. Andrews and her daughter, Clara, of Maple City, were in the city Friday visiting friends.
Arkansas City Traveler, May 31, 1882.
Mr. Knott finished shearing his sheep last week. Mr. Upton has sheared his also, Mr. Crowell has sheared a part of his. Mr. Fouts, Scott & Topliff, Mr. Maxwell, Mr. Andrews, Mr. Cole, and others have to shear yet.
Arkansas City Traveler, June 28, 1882.
The awning of the City Hotel shaded the browned countenances of more sheep men last Saturday than we have seen together for some time. There was Andrews, of the placid Grouse creek; Fouts, of the wild Willows; Johns, from the historic Shilocco; Cole, from the romantic Bodoc; Saunders, of High Prairie; Rogers, of Endless View Ranche; Phraner, from Ponca Trail; and Scott, of the State line; while on the street was Majors Harnly, Stewart, and Maxwell. Knott had taken his departure the day before or he would have been there. Wool, tariff, scab, and coyotes were generally cussed and discussed until the supper call scattered them like a bombshell. They were all hungry.
Winfield Courier, July 13, 1882.
Mr. G. P. Andrews of Messina, New York, called Tuesday in company with his brother, J. Andrews, stock man of Silverdale, and entertained us with comparisons between Kansas and New York fruits and cereals. Our big samples were a wonder to our eastern friend. Call again, gentlemen.
Arkansas City Traveler, September 6, 1882.
A number of sheep and cattle men are sowing rye for winter pasture. Last year John A. Scott sowed three acres and pastured it all winter, and in the fall harvested 82 bushels of rye, which he sold on the place at 75 cents per bushel, or for $61.50. Mr. Andrews, a sheep owner on Otter creek, put in about fifteen acres last year for his lambs, and says it was the best invest­ment for feed he has ever made. When horses are poor in the fall, rye will bring them in good flesh, when they would remain poor all winter on dry feed. Every farmer should put in a few acres—it saves grain and hay.
Winfield Courier, September 27, 1883.
I have a lot of large brood Mares for sale at my ranch near Silverdale P. O.
Jno. Andrews.
Arkansas City Traveler, January 16, 1884.
Mr. Andrews, of Otter Creek, will ship four car loads of sheep to St. Louis this week.
Arkansas City Traveler, February 27, 1884.
Mr. Andrews, who shipped four car loads of sheep to St. Louis lately purchased a car load of horses to bring back with him, which he is selling at Winfield.
Winfield Courier, February 21, 1884.
Tony Agler had his shoulder blade broken last week while helping Mr. Andrews unload a car of horses.
Winfield Courier, February 21, 1884.
Mares, horses, and mules for sale. Some good brood mares with foal at Bobbitt’s Stable East 9th Avenue. J. Andrews, George Ordway.

Winfield Courier, March 20, 1884.
Mr. Andrews, although he has not recovered the full use of his arm, is much better, we are glad to note.
Arkansas City Republican, May 24, 1884.
J. Andrews, of Grouse Creek, one of the principal stock men of this county, was in the city Thursday. He reports his stock in an excellent condition.
Arkansas City Republican, July 19, 1884.
J. S. Andrews, of Silverdale, stated Monday for Massena, New York, where he will spend the summer.
Winfield Courier, September 18, 1884.
Mr. John Andrews returned, from his sojourn in New York, last week, and is once more “at home” on his ranch near Maple City.
Arkansas City Traveler, February 18, 1885.
John S. Andrews was over from Maple City Friday. He reports that he had no losses at all among his sheep. He is taking good care of them, and does not expect even a slight loss.
                                                    SOUTH BEND. “G. V.”
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 12, 1885.
Mr. Andrews brought eight hundred head of sheep from Grouse creek to this locality last week.
Arkansas City Traveler, April 22, 1885.
From Our Exchanges. Winfield Courier: The rise in Timber Creek, Thursday morning, caught one hundred head of sheep belonging to John Andrews, near Floral. Henry Dickens also lost twenty-five head. They were corralled near the creek, and the water came up before anyone was aware of it.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, April 23, 1885.
The rise in Timber creek Thursday morning caught one hundred head of sheep belonging to John Andrews, near Floral. Henry Dickens also lost twenty-five head. They were corralled near the creek, and the water came up before anyone was aware of it. The price of mutton has gone down several points.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, May 14, 1885.
John Andrews was over from Otter Friday. He is looking up the wool and fat sheep market. He says the COURIER was in error in stating that he had lost a hundred sheep by a freshet. He has lost none.
Arkansas City Traveler, Wednesday, May 27, 1885.
Stock Notes. Mr. Trimble, of Bolton Township, shipped several carloads of fall cattle and hogs to Kansas City last Tuesday. Mr. Andrews, of Silverdale Township, also shipped five cars of sheep to St. Louis. Prices on all kinds of stock are low now, yet when hogs are fat, there is no delaying the disposal of them. We are glad to notice our farmers shipping their own stock. There is very little money in sheep, cattle, or hogs at present prices, with corn 50 cents per bushel, and they should receive every dollar there is in the business.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, November 19, 1885.

The president’s fourth-class post office appointments, in Thursday’s DAILY, gave the appointment of Miss Clara A. Andrews as postmaster at Maple City, this county. Miss Andrews is well known in this city, having visited here frequently.
Arkansas City Republican, November 21, 1885.
Miss Clara Andrews has been appointed postmistress at Maple City. Miss Clara is a handsome and well educated young lady and will doubtless succeed in conducting the affairs of Maple City’s post office satisfactorily.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 4, 1886.
Maple City comes forward with a romance mixed up with love, jealousy, and slander. A very pretty and accomplished young lady, Miss Clara Andrews, well known to many of the young people of Winfield, and daughter of John Andrews, the cattle and sheep man at Maple City, is the central figure. John Snyder, a young man of twenty-four, who has been paying very devoted attentions to Miss Andrews, got “wind” of remarks that seemed to reflect on the character of Miss Andrews, and made threats that came to a clash Wednesday morning at about 10 o’clock, when he met the accused slanderer, John Marshall, in front of the Maple City schoolhouse. A few words ensued, when Marshall drew his revolver and sent a ball through Snyder’s head, and then gave himself up to the authorities. Sheriff McIntire was dispatched for, went down Wednesday afternoon, and at 2:51 Thursday arrived on the Santa Fe from Arkansas City with the prisoner, who was accompanied by the bride he wed only last Friday evening. Our reporter met the sheriff at the train and got his pointers and the story of the murderer.
                                                   MARSHALL’S STORY.

“I knew John Andrews and family near Columbus, Ohio, from where I came to Maple City last November, intending to canvass as a book agent. I stopped with Andrews. I soon saw that the book business was no go, so I got up a writing school. Mr. Andrews had a lame shoulder, so in the day times I helped him. I got up his winter wood and did anything and everything. I asked no pay and got none. I didn’t try to go with Clara, and she treated me respectfully. During my stay here, John Snyder, a young fellow from New Orleans, who was living with whom he claimed as an old friend, Dr. E. H. J. Hart, came to see Clara and appeared to be badly “gone.” I never disturbed him. We knew each other, but were not intimate. I left Andrews a few weeks ago and went to boarding at Mr. Clay’s, my anticipated wife’s folks. Thursday week I was up here to get my marriage license, and in conversation relating to certain girls, whose fellows were busted, I said, ‘That’s nothing. We’ve got two fellows down our way whose girls keep them’—meaning Snyder and myself. This got to Snyder, and in a day or two a friend came to me and said that Snyder said I had been lying about his girl and he was going to horsewhip me, and this friend said I had better arm myself. I did so, and carried a Smith & Wesson 32-calibre in my coat pocket, cocked, a week before the fracas yesterday. Others told me that Dr. Hart had bought a black-snake and that he was going to hold me up with a revolver while Snyder horse-whipped me. I didn’t run across either of them until yesterday. When I was coming up from the spring with my big mittens on and a pail of water in each hand, I met Snyder and Hart taking their team across to the barn to hitch up. Snyder was twenty feet ahead of Hart, who was driving the unhitched horses. He threw down his wraps, done up with a shawl strap, and said: ‘You’re the s     of a b      I’ve been looking for, I’ll maul h    l out of you!’ He made for me, with his hand on his back pocket and I yelled ‘Halt!’ several times. He kept coming and I drew my cocked revolver quick as a flash, and shot. As I shot, he dodged, and the ball went into his head behind the ear, they say, and came out of his forehead. Snyder fell and Hart dropped the lines and rushed up. I yelled, ‘Halt!’ and came down on him, and he threw up his hands, where I held him, till the crowd came, when I gave myself up.”
Marshall is a young man of twenty-six, of sandy complexion, and rather small stature, a good face, and talks well. He was married last Friday night to Miss Clay, who is now at the jail with him. She is a girl of about sixteen, whose folks are old settlers of Maple City.
Snyder came from New Orleans two months ago, supposedly to visit his old friend, Dr. Hart. He and Dr. Hart, whose wife and three children are back in Ohio, boarded with Mrs. Goodrich. Snyder didn’t do much work, dressed only moderately well, and didn’t appear to have any money. His natural appearance was good and he took pretty well. It was well known that he was badly in love with Miss Andrews, and she seemed to reciprocate. On investigation Sheriff McIntire had Dr. Hart arrested as an accomplice, and Deputy Sheriff Joe Church brought him up by buggy this afternoon. No revolver was found on either Hart or Snyder after the affray, though it is claimed that Snyder was not searched until after Hart had examined and conveyed him to the office.
Snyder was unconscious up to death, which occurred at 10 o’clock last night.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 4, 1886.

Dr. G. H. J. Hart, who was arrested and brought up by Deputy Sheriff, Joe. Church, charged with complicity in the murder of John Snyder, swore out a warrant for John Marshall, Thursday. The Doctor was released until after the preliminary examination of Marshall, who was taken before Justice Buckman, Friday morning. The preliminary was set for February 8th, at one o’clock, with bonds at $5,000. Of course, Marshall can’t give bonds and won’t try. Dr. Hart’s story gives a very different phase to this tragedy. Hart and Snyder were raised together and the Doctor thought a great deal of him. Snyder was a young man of refinement, was a good singer and talker, and performed nicely on the piano. Andrews’ were the only ones in the neighborhood who had a good instrument and Snyder in this way got very friendly with the family. He thought a great deal of Miss Andrews. He admired her beauty and accomplishments, but was not particularly in love. He had been engaged for several years to a girl back east. He was raised in the south and was of that extremely sensitive southern nature, and when he heard what Marshall had said about himself and Miss Andrews, he told Hart that he proposed, before returning home to New Orleans, to give Marshall a good pounding. The Doctor tried to persuade him out of the idea; said it was a foolish thing to fight over, and to let it go. Nothing was said about any horse whipping: Snyder was going to leave the next day. “When we met Marshall Tuesday morning, Snyder started for him—I knew there would be a fight. Knowing that Snyder had no revolver, I thought there would be only a little knock down, and started around my team to get a view of the affair. Just as I got in plain view, only a few steps off, I noticed Marshall stoop over and as he raised up, brought out his revolver and fired. Snyder, on seeing the revolver, was just in the act of wheeling to run when the ball took him behind the left ear, coming out over his left eye. He fell over on his face, without uttering a word. I ran up and was going to pick him up when Marshall covered me and held me up. Snyder breathed only mechanically until 10 o’clock, when he died. He never knew, farther than the momentary sight of the revolver, what hurt him. He said not a word to Marshall. He never carried or owned a revolver in his life, and I never carried one but three days in my life. Neither of us had the sign of a weapon about us.” The Doctor telegraphed to Snyder’s parents at New Orleans today, took a casket down with him, and will inter the body tomorrow. Miss Andrews, who is postmistress at Maple City, is greatly distressed over the terrible tragedy in which she is innocently the central figure.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 4, 1886.
Coroner H. L. Wells and Capt. H. H. Siverd, after nearly two days’ examination, concluded the inquest on the body of John Snyder, at Maple City, Saturday afternoon. Thirty-two witnesses were examined. The jury, J. G. Shreves, Geo. Eaton, H. S. Libby, S. S. Blakesley, and P. S. Gilgis, returned a verdict that John Snyder came to his death on January 27, 1886, from a pistol shot fired by John W. Marshall. About the only new facts developed, other than those given in THE COURIER, came from William Clay, father-in-law of John Marshall, the murderer. He said: “Three or four days before the shooting, I met Jack Snyder crossing the street. He said, ‘Where is Marshall?’ I answered, ‘In the house.’ He said: ‘I am going for the s      of a b      before I leave town.’”
“There was a dance at my house during the holidays and Snyder, who was there, handed me a revolver, saying he did not like to have it jolting up and down in his pocket while he was dancing. I laid it in the bureau drawer. When he came for it in the morning, he said, ‘It is not a nice thing to carry, but I hain’t gone without one since I was a boy.’”
Nothing regarding Miss Andrews or the reports circulated by Marshall about her and Snyder were brought out in the evidence.
Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, March 6, 1886.
John Andrews, our noble sheep man, has been sojourning in St. Louis and Cincinnati, but returned Monday.
Arkansas City Republican, March 20, 1886.
We take great pleasure in announcing that our sheep man, John Andrews, is entertaining visitors and relatives, in the person of his brother, G. B. Andrews and daughter. They are from New York, and will remain here this summer, at least, and are likely to become residents in the future.
John Andrews called in a number of our young folks Wednesday morning to participate in a general good time, which was had. Dancing, euchre, and checkers were the principal amusements. At eleven o’clock a repast was partaken of, after which dancing was resumed until 2 a.m., when all parties sought their home—and bed. P. D. Q.
Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, July 10, 1886. From Friday’s Daily.
John Andrews, of Silverdale Township, has traded his large flock of sheep for a farm up in the north part of the county.


Cowley County Historical Society Museum