Winfield Directory 1880.
Butler, J. P. M., watches and jewelry, Main, e. s. bet 8th and 9th avs.; room same.
FROM THE NEWSPAPERS.
[J. P. M. BUTLER & CO.: WINFIELD JEWELERS.]
Winfield Courier, May 13, 1880.
While at Winfield last week, we called on J. P. M. Butler & Co., of that city. This firm is well known to the citizens of Florence, and we are glad to state that they are doing a good business. The citizens of Winfield and Cowley County can congratulate themselves on the acquisition of this new firm to the business of their town. These gentlemen have no superiors in the state as mechanics and they are both steady, hard working men, and we freely recommend them to the people of that city. Florence Herald.
[The above refers to our new jewelers, in the old Hope stand, and from their straight forward manner of business, we judge that the compliment is merited.]
Winfield Courier, December 2, 1880.
J. M. P. Butler has gone into the service, for the winter, of a wholesale jewelry firm of St. Jo. His partner, George A. Schroeter, will continue at the old stand to attend to customers.
Winfield Courier, March 17, 1881.
Ehret moved the remnant of his whiskey out of his old saloon building Monday. It will be occupied by Butler’s jewelry store.
Winfield Courier, March 31, 1881.
J. M. P. Butler’s jewelry store has been removed into the old Ehret saloon building. The room has been fitted up elegantly and will make a handsome jewelry store.
Winfield Courier, April 7, 1881.
The Winfield Jewelry House has an ad in this paper. Mr. Geo. Schroeter, the manager, is one of the finest watchmakers in Kansas. He has fitted up his store in magnificent shape, and all would do well to call.
AD: THE WINFIELD JEWELRY HOUSE, GEO. A. SCHROETER, MANAGER, HAS
REMOVED TO THE NEW STAND NEXT TO HORNING, ROBINSON & CO’S. STORE.
They have fitted up the rooms in Palatial Style and have the Largest Stock of Watches, Clocks & Jewelry, etc., etc., in City. Repairing & Engraving done promptly.
Winfield Courier, July 7, 1881.
Mr. Geo. Schroeter has invested in another enterprise that will be of much benefit to our citizens. Aside from furnishing time by bell, he has put up on the sidewalk in front of his jewelry store a stone column and pedestal in which is set two clocks, one registering Santa Fe time and the other K. C. L. & S.
George’s public spirit is commendable and he understands the principal that looking out for the wants of the public always brings its own reward.
Winfield Courier, September 29, 1881.
The old wooden sidewalk in front of the Winfield Jewelry house has been removed and workmen are putting down a stone one. This is about the last piece of wooden sidewalk in the city.
Winfield Courier, October 20, 1881.
If you have any watch or clock that needs repairing, be sure and bring them to George Schroeter’s, the jeweler who warrants his work, and is a watch maker of long experience.
Next item shows that Schroeter was located one door south of Horning & Robinson...
Cowley County Courant, November 24, 1881.
THE WINFIELD JEWELRY HOUSE, GEORGE A. SCHROETER, AGENT.
SOUTH OF 76 HORNING 76, ROBINSON & CO., WINFIELD, KANSAS.
Since moving into my new quarters, have increased my stock, etc.
Winfield Courier, December 1, 1881.
Silverine for nothing. Get it from George A. Schroeter, the only practical and experienced Jeweler in this city. It brightens Silver and plated goods splendidly, and even George will smile.
Winfield Courier, December 15, 1881.
Hand painted “Jardinieres,” plaques, toilet seats, etc., just received at George Schroeter’s. Ladies please call and examine.
Winfield Courier, January 19, 1882.
Be sure and call on Winfield Jewelry House for anything in their line, as you will be convinced that there has never been a finer and better selected stock of jewelry and Holiday Goods been brought to this city. Also, compare prices.
Winfield Courier, February 23, 1882.
The Catholic Fair. “A little fun now and then is relished by the best of men.” The Catholic Fair, which closed Friday evening, Feb. 10, was the source of much amusement to the people of Winfield. Everything in the way of pleasure was there, and the citizens did not fail to patronize the good work. The businessmen when called upon for contributions responded liberally, as did the ladies, in donating the various articles for a supper and refreshment tables. The fancy articles which were donated were duly appreciated, and served to decorate the booths nicely. We do not pretend to name the several articles; however, we will give a few. The china set of one hundred and fifty seven pieces, which was won by Mr. J. B. Lynn, who afterwards presented it to Father Kelly, occupied a prominent position on one of the tables. A handsome family Bible, a fine gold necklace and bracelets, donated by Mr. P. Laverty; a wax cross, a silver castor, donated by Mr. Schroeter; a silver butter dish and knife, the gift of Hudson Bros.; an artificial flower pot, given by F. Manny; a large wax doll, a silver pickle castor, and two silver goblets, donated by Mr. and Mrs. C. Buckley; a Kalomeda set, given by Johnston & Hill; a pair of vases, by Harter Bros.; lace curtains, by Mr. Hahn; a box of fancy note-paper, by Mr. P. Buckley; a handsome album, by Mrs. Charlie Allen, of Wichita; a pair of vases, by H. Goldsmith; a pair of gentleman’s slippers, by Smith Bros.; pin cushions, tidies, toilet sets, mats, pillow shams and numerous other articles, which decorated the fancy tables over which Mrs. J. C. Fuller and Mrs. Pierce presided. The refreshment stand was taken charge of by the Misses Healey, McGonigle, and Kelly. The supper table was superintended by Mrs. Dockery and Mrs. Lanbener. Miss Kate Healey was postmaster and distributed many letters and valentines to the young folks. Mrs. Charlie Allen, from Wichita, took care of the oyster table. Our friend, Capt. H. H. Siverd, was the winner of the hanging lamp and pickle castor; he deserved them for his energy in trying to make the fair a success. Dr. C. C. Green won the horse. The ball, though last, was not least. It was conducted with so much propriety that many church members were tempted to “tip the light fantastic toe.” Capt. C. Steuven was floor manager. There were many visitors here during the fair. Mrs. E. Woolheater, Mr. Buck, from Newton, Miss D. McDoigle, from Leavenworth, and Mrs. Charlie Allen, from Wichita, being noticed. Nearly all the young folks of Winfield were out. The young men were very gallant and generous in taking chances on all articles to be disposed of in that way. Capt. W. Whiting, Dave Harter, Ad Powers, Willie Smith, C. Hodges, J. Hyden, Fred Whiting, Ed and H. Cole, C. C. Harris, J. O’Hare, H. Seward, and A. D. Speed were among the many who assisted in making the fair a success, both socially and financially, and we feel sure the Catholics will feel grateful for the kindness of all those who contributed toward the good work.
Cowley County Courant, March 16, 1882.
THE WINFIELD JEWELRY HOUSE, GEORGE A. SCHROETER, AGENT, SOUTH OF 76 HORNING 76, ROBINSON & CO., WINFIELD, KANSAS.
Cowley County Courant, April 6, 1882.
George Schroeter, our jeweler, has concluded to go into the chicken business for amusement this summer. As George has no wife and babies, he must have something to take care of, so he has commenced the “culture” of hens.
Cowley County Courant, April 27, 1882.
The tower clock for the McDougall building, ordered recently by George Schroeter, our popular jeweler, arrived today and will be put up as soon as possible. Schroeter is an excellent workman, and will put up this excellent time piece in a manner that will be a card for him and an ornament for the town.
Cowley County Courant, April 27, 1882.
Geo. A. Schroeter extends a cordial invitation to all to call in and examine the new clock to be placed in the McDougall building. This is an opportunity that should not be lost. After it is up, many of the beauties cannot be seen from the street.
Winfield Courier, April 27, 1882.
The town clock, which is to go in the McDougall tower, has been received and will be put up in a few days by George Schroeter. It is a very nice one. Those who wish to see the machinery of it should call at George’s.
Cowley County Courant, May 11, 1882.
The new tower clock will soon be in its place over the McDougall building. Mr. Schroeter has advertised himself considerably by putting it upon a table in the Winfield Jewelry House, where his numerous callers could see its running gears exposed.
Cowley County Courant, May 18, 1882.
The tower clock will be put up in running order in the McDougall building by Mr. Schroeter as soon as the architect, Mr. Cook, gets time to put up the dials.
Winfield Courier, June 1, 1882.
George Schroeter has put the new town clock in place and it is now marking off the hours with regularity.
Winfield Courier, June 1, 1882.
Geo. Schroeter received last week a magnificent “transit” for taking observations of the sun, and will hereafter keep correct “sun time.” George displays commendable enterprise in matters of this kind.
[WINFIELD CITY COUNCIL.]
Winfield Courier, June 8, 1882.
Petition of Geo. A. Schroeter for appointment to the position of the City Time Keeper was read and on motion granted upon the same conditions and terms as last year.
Proposition of Hudson Bros., to furnish a time clock for the regulation of night police without expense to the city, was presented and accepted.
Cowley County Courant, June 15, 1882.
George Schroeter has been assigned city time keeper for the ensuing year.
Winfield Courier, August 24, 1882.
George Schroeter is doing the biggest business in silverware of any house in the west. Aside from furnishing the Brettun House with silverware to the amount of six hundred dollars, he is furnishing several large bills for hotels in other towns. He ordered yesterday $200.00 worth for the new hotel at Geuda Springs. Those who wish to buy silverware should call on Mr. Schroeter.
Winfield Courier, October 5, 1882.
Geo. Schroeter came in from Kansas City Saturday night and spent a day or two in our city.
[Above item was the last to appear about Schroeter.]