About Us
Museum Membership
Event Schedule
Museum Newsletters
Museum Displays


James B. Schofield

                                         Spring Creek Township and Winfield.
Spring Creek Township 1880: James Schofield, 34; spouse, M. E., 29.
Spring Creek Township 1881: James Schofield, 36; spouse, Mary E., 30.
                                               FROM THE NEWSPAPERS.
Winfield Courier, July 3, 1879.
MAPLE CITY, JUNE 27, 1879. Mr. J. Schofield, our popular merchant, says that business is good.
Winfield Courier, February 5, 1880.
MAPLE CITY, Jan. 29, 1880. Mr. J. B. Schofield is closing out his stock of goods. He intends leaving us the first of March for Indianapolis, his old home. Jimmy has done the square thing by the people here, hence has a great many warm friends. Don’t go, Jimmy, don’t go.
Winfield Courier, March 31, 1881.
Jas. Schofield and family have returned from their visit to Indianapolis.
Winfield Courier, May 5, 1881.
John Moffitt has sold his livery business to Mr. James Schofield, late of Maple City.
Winfield Courier, May 26, 1881.
Mr. Chas. McNulty hired a span of horses and buggy of Speed and Schofield last Sunday and undertook to ford Timber creek just above the bridge which is in process of construction where the water was at least ten feet deep. The current floated the horses, who swam around twice, and finally drowned, with their heads near the bank in the direction from which they entered. Mr. McNulty clung to the buggy standing up in it with the water around his waist and was rescued by a boat which was rowed up to him from below.
Winfield Courier, June 2, 1881.
Nat Robinson came down from El Dorado Tuesday. He drove up in front of Speed & Schofield’s livery stable and alighted, giving the lines to the attendant, who started to unhitch the team. Not being used to strangers, they became frightened, started off down the street, and finally brought up against one of the carriage factory’s new wagons. The injury was not very heavy.
Winfield Courier, June 16, 1881.
A considerable number of the citizens of Winfield met on Monday evening on the steps of the Winfield Bank to provide for raising funds for the immediate relief of the sufferers caused by the cyclone Sunday evening. Mr. Crippen called the people together by music from the band.
Speed & Schofield $5.00.
Winfield Courier, June 30, 1881.
The comet, or something else, killed a horse for Speed & Schofield Sunday night.
Cowley County Courant, November 24, 1881.

Main Street, Winfield.
Cowley County Courant, February 2, 1882.
Johnny Emerson, son of Dr. Emerson, met with quite an accident this forenoon. He undertook to ride the Speed and Schofield’s goat down to the stable from uptown when some thoughtless person set a dog on his goatship and he commenced to goat down the street at a lively rate, throwing the boy off and bruising his face up in a severe manner.
Winfield Courier, March 9, 1882.
A. D. Speed, of the firm of Speed & Schofield, has sold his interest in the livery stable to Mr. Keck, the gentleman who purchased Dr. Black’s residence. Mr. Speed will remain here and invest his money where it will pay him. We are glad to hear this for Mr. Speed is too lively a man to lose.
Winfield Courier, March 9, 1882.
                                                       Library Association.
At a late meeting of the Library Association, the following officers were elected for the year ending January 31, 1883.
President: Mrs. M. J. Wood.
Vice President: Mrs. T. B. Myers.
Secretary: Mrs. E. T. Trimble.
Treasurer: Mrs. A. H. Doane.
Librarian: Mrs. W. L. Mullen.
Directors: Mrs. H. P. Mansfield, Mrs. J. B. Schofield, Mrs. J. A. Earnest, Mrs. J. G. Shreves, Mrs. W. H. Shearer, Mrs. G. W. Miller, Mrs. Elbert Bliss, Mrs. James A. Bullen, and Mrs. J. Swain.
It is hoped that the citizens of Winfield will feel that, as this association cannot flourish without money, it is the duty of each and everyone to purchase a yearly ticket. It will only cost three dollars for each gentleman in Winfield to have the opportunity of supplying himself with interesting as well as instructive reading matter for one year; and if he does not desire to do it for himself, he will have the satisfaction of knowing he is doing it for the benefit of his fellow men.
Cowley County Courant, March 9, 1882.
Amasa Speed shook us all up today by informing us that he had sold his interest in the livery stable to John Keck, of this city. All the boys will be sorry to hear that Amasa has severed his connection with this popular firm. The new firm of Schofield & Keck contains two genial, sociable, and good business gentle­men, and we wish them all the success in the world.
Cowley County Courant, March 16, 1882.
At a late meeting of the Library Association, the following officers were elected for the year ending January 31, 1883: President, Mrs. M. J. Wood; Vice President, Mrs. T. B. Myers; Secretary, Mrs. A. H. Doane; Treasurer, Mrs. W. L. Mullen; Directors, Mrs. H. P. Mansfield, Mrs. Elbert Bliss, Mrs. James A. Bullen, Mrs. J. Swain, Mrs. J. B. Schofield, Mrs. J. A. Earnest, Mrs. W. H. Shearer, Mrs. J. G. Shreves, and Mrs. G. W. Miller.

It would be a great encouragement to the ladies to have the gentlemen come manfully to the front and buy a yearly ticket. Three dollars for one year is a small sum when the benefits to be derived from the investment are considered, still if every family in Winfield would purchase a ticket, it would place the ladies in a position where they would feel justified in not only sustaining a Library but would open an attractive reading room. Many entertaining and instructive volumes have been added to the library during the winter. Let all see to it that they have a personal interest in this association.
Cowley County Courant, April 6, 1882. 
Schofield & Keck now have a team of goats.
Cowley County Courant, April 13, 1882.
LOST. Between Rock and Winfield, a buffalo robe. Name of R. Schofield is on inside. Return to Schofield & Keck’s livery stable and get a reward.
Cowley County Courant, April 13, 1882.
FOR SALE. Two Phaetons, one buggy and one family wagon, three springs and two seats. Will either sell for cash, give time on part, or trade. Call at Schofield & Keck’s livery stable.
Winfield Courier, April 13, 1882.
Lost. Between Rock and Winfield, a Buffalo Robe, on inside name of R. Smithers, U. S. A. Return to Schofield and Keck’s livery stable and get reward.
Cowley County Courant, May 11, 1882.
The board of directors of the Agricultural and Horticultural society met at the Courier office, in Winfield, May 6th, 1882, at two o’clock P. M.
Present: J. C. Roberts, R. B. Pratt, P. M. Waite, W. A. Tipton, W. J. Hodges, S. W. Phoenix, and J. W. Millspaugh.
The following officers were elected for the ensuing term: W. A. Tipton, President; Henry Harbaugh, Vice President; T. A. Blanchard, Secretary; J. W. Millspaugh, Treasurer; W. J. Hodges, Superintendent.
The Treasurer was required to enter into a bond of $2,000 and to have the same ready for approval at the next meeting.
The following committees were appointed.
Finance: W. J. Hodges, J. C. Roberts, James Vance, J. L. Horning, James Schofield.
Printing: T. A. Blanchard, E. P. Greer, W. A. Tipton.
Grounds: W. J. Hodges, J. C. Roberts, J. W. Millspaugh.
Bylaws: W. A. Tipton, F. S. Jennings, Henry Asp.
Committee on grounds were directed to meet May 8th, 1882.
Committee on premium list, the board.
The secretary was directed to procure a rubber stamp seal bearing the legend, “Cowley County Agricultural and Horticultural Society Seal.”
The Secretary was directed to publish the proceedings in all the county papers.
Adjourned to meet May 20th, 1882. T. A. BLANCHARD, Secretary.
Cowley County Courant, May 18, 1882.

THE COURANT family loaded itself into one of Schofield & Keck’s best rigs Sunday morning, and made what is sometimes termed a flying trip to the Geuda Springs. We won’t say “far famed,” “world renowned,” “justly celebrated,” for that would not be strictly accurate, and as the truth is all we desire to tell, the facts must be adhered to.
The ride to the Springs on a beautiful morning like yester­day is simply delightful. The road from the time you leave the livery barn, till the springs are reached, is as near perfection as it well can be, stretching as it does, across what we will risk to say, is the most beautiful township in Kansas. Cowley County, in our judgment, is one of the best looking counties in the state, and Beaver township is certainly very near if not quite the garden spot of the county. There are no hills to speak of, and the little streams are all bridged and unless it is immediately after a heavy rain, there is no more delightful drive in the west. The wheat is now headed and is of such uniform height and advancement, and so limitless in acreage, that it requires but little imagination to make it a shoreless green sea. But we must hasten to the Springs.
The Arkansas River is crossed on a good ferry boat, in charge of a careful boatman. Let us stop for a moment on this raging Arkansas, or as Vinnie Beckett would say: “this big rolling muddy.” We have had considerable acquaintance with this river for a number of years. So much so, that we are not afraid of being laughed at on the score of total ignorance on the subject. Thousands of dollars have been squandered—that’s the word—in making surveys of the stream by “competent engi­neers.” These surveys invariably follow the bed of the river on the old theory that nature knows what is best for us, which she don’t. The cutting across of miles of bend here and there, the advantage of crowding that body of water into a new and narrower channel never seems to have entered the “competent engineer’s” mind. The only competency seeming to be requisite was the ability to get through with the appropriation by the time Congress met again. But we are at the Springs. Scores of well dressed men and women, most of them for the first time, tasting this rare, mysterious, and to them not altogether pleasant beverage are here before us. It is considerable amusement to the old coons sitting around to watch the tasting process, especially the other sex, who for some unaccountable reason arrogate to themselves all the squeamishness extant. True, we couldn’t expect that seventeen year old girl to roll it down as Fritz does his beer, nor guggle it as Pat would his whiskey; but we can’t see any use in making such fearful grimaces, walling the eyes like a dying calf and wriggling the body like an eel, to get the blessed water down, when you can cut a basket full of slimy, boiled lettuce, two quarts of raw onions, and a skillet full of rotten tomatoes mixed with rancid butter without making a solitary wrinkle in your pretty face.
There are seven different springs or hydrants, each shooting up a different kind of water. A qualitative analysis, shows Bi-Carbonate of Soda, Bi-Carbonate of Iron, Bi-Carbonate of Calcium, Sulphate of Ammonia, Sulphate of Magnesia, Chloride of Sodium, Chloride of Potassium, Iodide of Sodium, Bromide of Potassium, Sulphur, and Silica. In addition to these constituents, the waters are charged with Carbonic Acid Gas. There is no question as to the healing properties of this water.

Of course, we took a bath, and it hasn’t hurt us so far. The drive home was a delightful one, and we vowed to avail ourselves of the very next opportunity to go again. To those who are unacquaint­ed, we would say that Winfield is the place to start from, as strangers can find a daily hack line to and from the springs, and the best and smoothest roads, through a beautiful and highly improved country, making it a luxury to ride over.
Winfield Courier, June 8, 1882.
Mr. Powell, a sheep man of Harper County, while returning from the country Tuesday in one of Schofield & Keck’s best rigs met with a very serious accident. In coming down the grade at this end of the west bridge, the buggy struck a large rock, almost upsetting it, and throwing Mr. Powell out. The horses immediately became frightened and began to run. Leaving the road, they ran into the timber at the right, and while going at a terrific rate, one horse struck a large tree, instantly breaking his neck. Luckily there was no lady in the buggy.
Winfield Courier, June 8, 1882.
The Presbyterian Church is in need of some interior repairing and the ladies have decided to have it papered as well. To gain the money for such purpose, they held a Paper Festival at the Opera House on Tuesday evening, which was a decided success. The hall was beautifully decorated and the tables were temptingly arrayed. A number of young ladies were dressed in becoming costumes of paper. At the paper booth Mrs. Bahntge, a charming Rosebud in red and green tissue presided, assisted by Miss Amanda Scothorn representing a glowing Poppy, Miss Lizzie Wallis, a blushing sweet Carnation, Miss Jennie Hane, “The Queen of Flowers,” the Rose, and Miss Jessie Millington a gorgeous Sunflower, attracted much attention. They sold all manner of pretty paper trifles, fans, parasols, and baskets.
Miss Ida Johnson, Nina Anderson, and Anna Hyde sold button hole bouquets, and other flowers, and wore also beautiful paper dresses and were a success.
The Tea booth probably attracted more attention than anything else. Each person who purchased a cup of tea was presented with the cup and saucer containing it, but the attraction was the ladies who attended and poured the tea. They were Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Robinson, Mrs. Shreves, and Mrs. Spotswood.
Miss Margie Wallis and Chas. Bahntge made lots of fun selling soap bubbles at five cents a blow.
A bevy of bright young ladies, in fancy caps and aprons, attended at the fancy tables, and sold all manner of pretty things made by the ladies of the Ladies Aid Society. They were: Misses Mary Shivers, Mate and Belle Linn, Mattie and Mary Gibson, Emma Howland, and Ella Johnson.
“Rebecca at the well,” was successfully carried out by Mrs. Buckman, who sold gallons of choice lemonade.
Ice cream and cake were sold by the quantity and, although not a new feature, was none the less a profitable one. Mrs. Doane, Mrs. Kretsinger, Mrs. Shearer, Mrs. Allen, and Mrs. Van Doren attended at one table while Mrs. Green, Mrs. Caton, Mrs. Manser, Mrs. Schofield, and Mrs. Cochran attended at the other.
The gross receipts of the evening were $130. The ladies also had a dinner at the Opera House Wednesday noon, but we have not been able to learn what success attended it.
Cowley County Courant, June 15, 1882.

The livery firm of Schofield & Keck seem to have their share of what is called bad luck, recently. Only a short time ago they had a new buggy smashed to pieces, and now it is one of their best horses killed. The circumstances are about as follows: A gentleman from Harper county by the name of Powell hired a team and buggy to drive a short distance in the country. On his return he by some means upset the buggy, when the team started and ran away, along the Riverside Park road. The nearside horse outran the other and drove him full against a tree to one side of the road, killing him instantly. The poor horse’s chest and shoulders were crushed into his body. He was one of the very best horses in the town, and was valued at one hundred and twenty-five dollars, which Mr. Powell will pay. The team was a pair of matched sorrels, gentle and good drivers, and it will be difficult to replace the dead one.
Cowley County Courant, June 29, 1882.
STRAYED. A bay horse, suckling colt. Any information may be left at the livery stable of Schofield & Keck, Winfield, Kansas.
Winfield Courier, February 1, 1883.
The following petition was circulated last week by Frank Manny, taken to Topeka, and presented by him to Senator Hackney.
WINFIELD, KANSAS, January 23, 1883.
HON. W. P. HACKNEY, State Senator, Topeka, Kansas.
Inasmuch as the Prohibition Amendment, as enforced, has always resulted in injury to the material development of our town—it having signally failed to accomplish the object sought, the suppression of the sale and use of intoxicating drinks—we would respectfully urge upon you the necessity of so providing for the enforcement of the law that its application shall be uniform throughout the State. If this is impossible, don’t sacrifice our town on the altar of inordinate devotion to an impracticable principle.
Both J. B. Schofield and his partner, John M. Keck, signed petition.
Winfield Courier, April 12, 1883.
The annual meeting of the Cowley County Fair Association met at the Courthouse Tuesday afternoon. W. A. Tipton called the meeting to order, and announced the first business in order to be the election of nine directors for the ensuing year.
The following persons were elected directors.
C. M. Scott, Creswell; R. W. Stevens, Richland; Jas. B. Schofield, Winfield; J. L. Stewart, Ninnescah; Henry Harbaugh, Pleasant Valley; R. B. Pratt, Fairview; Jas. F. Martin, Vernon; J. L. Hodges, Winfield; B. F. Wood, Winfield.
Winfield Courier, May 24, 1883.
Number of directors or trustees of this corporation shall be seventeen (17), and the names and residences of those who are appointed for the first year are: A. H. Doane, Winfield; A. T. Spotswood, Winfield; D. L. Kretsinger, Winfield; J. B. Schofield, Winfield; C. C. Black, Winfield; W. J. Hodges, Winfield; E. P. Greer, Winfield; W. S. Mendenhall, Winfield; Sam Phoenix, Richland Township; S. S. Lynn, Vernon Township; G. L. Gale, Rock Township.; Henry Harbaugh, Pleasant Valley Township; R. F. Burden, Windsor Township; E. B. Nicholson, Dexter Township; J. W. Millspaugh, Vernon Township; J. B. Nipp, Creswell Township; J. F. Martin, Vernon Township.
In testimony whereof, we have hereunto subscribed our names, this 3rd day of May,
A. D., 1883. (Signed) A. T. Spotswood, W. S. Mendenhall, J. B. Schofield, A. H. Doane, Charles C. Black, Ed. B. Greer, D. L. Kretsinger, Wm. J. Hodges, S. C. Smith.

Personally appeared before me, a notary public in and for Cowley County, Kansas, the above named: A. T. Spotswood, W. S. Mendenhall, J. B. Schofield, J. Wade McDonald, Ed. P. Greer, D. L. Kretsinger, A. H. Doane, Wm. J. Hodges, and S. C. Smith, who are personally known to me to be the same persons who executed the foregoing instrument of writing, and duly acknowledged the execution of the same.
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto subscribed my name, and affixed my notarial seal, this 4th day of May, A. D., 1883.
             LOVELL H. WEBB, Notary Public. (My commission expires Sept. 8, 1883.)
Winfield Courier, September 13, 1883.
The following superintendents of their respective departments will please meet with the secretary at his office as early as possible on the first day of the Fair, Sept. 25th. The duties of the superintendents will be to have charge, under the general superintendent, of the departments to which they are assigned, and to select judges to award the different premiums. Those who find it impossible to serve will notify the secretary as early as possible that others may be appointed in their stead.
Horses, James B. Schofield.
Winfield Courier, October 4, 1883.
Hand embroidered slippers, Mrs. J. B. Schofield, city, 1st premium.
Winfield Courier, October 11, 1883.
Among the Directors who did faithful work during the fair, we neglected to mention Directors Schofield and Millspaugh. Mr. Schofield had charge of the horse department, the duties of which were heavy. Mr. Millspaugh handled the grains and grasses and made an excellent and tasty display of it.
Winfield Courier, December 20, 1883.
A social party were entertained at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. H. Buckman on Tuesday evening. The guests present were: Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Rembaugh, Mr. and Mrs. M. L. Robinson, Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Fuller, Mr. and Mrs. S. D. Pryor, Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Black, Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Doane, Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Spotswood, Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Bahntge, Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Green, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Brown, Mr. and Mrs. D. A. Millington, Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Soward, Mr. and Mrs. Henry E. Asp, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Horning, Mr. and Mrs. M. G. Troup; Mrs. Schofield, Mrs. G. H. Allen; Misses Josie Bard, Jennie B. Hane, Nettie R. McCoy, Margie Wallis, Sadie French, Jessie Millington; Messrs. M. O’Meara, R. B. Rudolf, Louis B. Zenor, E. H. Nixon, W. H. Smith, H. Bahntge, L. H. Webb. The affair was delightful in every way, and the guests were profuse in their thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Buckman for their many and pleasant attentions which secured  them so much enjoyment.
Winfield Courier, January 17, 1884.

After a thorough overhauling of the Constitution and By Laws in the way of amendments, the following Board of Directors was elected to transact the business of the Association for the year 1884.
Jas. F. Martin: Vernon Township.
Harvey Smith: Silver Creek Township.
S. P. Strong: Rock Township.
H. Harbaugh: Pleasant Valley Township.
J. B. Nipp: Creswell Township.
P. B. Lee: Vernon Township.
S. S. Linn: Pleasant Valley Township.
K. J. Wright: Beaver Township.
J. O. Taylor: Walnut Township.
H. C. McDorman: Dexter Township.
J. L. Horning: Winfield.
A. T. Spotswood: Winfield.
C. C. Black: Winfield.
D. L. Kretsinger: Winfield.
Ed. P. Greer: Winfield.
A. H. Doane: Winfield.
Jas. B. Schofield: Winfield.
This directory gives ten to the county and seven to Winfield, which places the full control of the Association in the hands of the live, energetic farmers of Cowley. Let us hope that every member of the Board will be on hand at every meeting of that body and bend their united energies toward making Cowley’s Fair a model institution from which every county in the state may “draw inspiration” for building up a similar one. With twelve members of the board in the city last year, it was sometimes impossible to get nine directors out to a meeting.
Following is a list of Shareholders and Number of Shares Held.
J. B. Schofield & John M. Keck, 2.
Winfield Courier, February 21, 1884.
For Sale. A carload of Missouri mules, 13 to 16 hands high, all well broke, at Schofield & Keck’s barn.
Winfield Courier, May 15, 1884.
Jennings & Crippen have decided to build a brick and stone building a hundred feet deep with two stories and a basement on the lot south of Schofield & Keck’s livery barn. A survey brought out the fact that the barn was two feet over on the lot. It will be moved off and the work of erecting the building proceed at once.
Winfield Courier, June 19, 1884.
The City Fathers ground out the usual grist of business Monday evening. Curns & Manser and Jennings and Crippen were granted building permits.

An ordinance was passed allowing Jennings & Crippen to move the building next to Wallis & Wallis grocery to the lot next to Schofield & Keck’s livery barn. These gentlemen, instead of building on the latter lot, as previously announced, will erect a large two story brick and stone store building on the lot next to Wallis & Wallis.
Winfield Courier, June 19, 1884.
The ground is being cleared for Curns & Manser’s new brick block, and work will commence at once. Jennings & Crippen will also erect a brick building next to Wallis’ store. The barber shop will be moved to the lot next to Schofield & Keck’s livery barn. As Seaver, of the Dexter Eye, would say, “still we boom!”
Winfield Courier, July 17, 1884.
Winfield will be represented at the Minneapolis Reunion by the following persons, so far as we have been able to ascertain: C. Ferguson, J. E. Snow, R. Amrine, L. B. Stone, A. R. Wilson, M. G. Troup, J. B. Schofield _____ Smith, T. J. Harris, N. A. Haight, A. G. Wilson, Thos. Thompson, S. C. Smith, and S. Cure. Delegations from other sections of the county will congregate in this city and all take a special train Sunday morning.
Winfield Courier, August 7, 1884.
DIRECTORS. A. H. Doane, A. T. Spotswood, C. C. Black, J. B. Schofield, S. S. Linn, Ed. P. Greer, D. L. Kretsinger, H. Harbaugh, J. F. Martin, J. B. Nipp, J. L. Horning, Harvey Smith, S. P. Strong, P. B. Lee, K. J. Wright, J. O. Taylor, H. C. McDorman.
The following is a list of the stockholders of the Cowley County Fair and Driving Park Association.
Both J. B. Schofield and J. M. Keck were listed as stockholders.
Winfield Courier, August 28, 1884.
Sid Majors and Jim Schofield have leased a hotel in Pierce City, Missouri, and will take charge next week. They will make a good hotel team.
Winfield Courier, August 28, 1884.
Jim Schofield and Sid Majors were loading their effects into a freight car Monday for transportation to Pierce City.
John Keck buys the interest of partner, J. B. Schofield, in livery business...
Winfield Courier, July 10, 1884.
John Keck bought the interest of his partner, J. B. Schofield, in the livery business of the firm and is now going it alone.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, March 4, 1886.
The old Schofield livery barn, one of the oldest and homeliest landmarks in Winfield, will soon be moved on north Main next to the old foundry building, where Frank Schofield will continue his livery business. A. H. Doane will erect a handsome business house in its place. And still we boom. The old shells will all be banished from Main street before 1886 goes out.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, March 4, 1886.

A. H. Doane’s frame business building, corner of Ninth & Millington, is going up and will be occupied by McGuire Bros. It would seem to be a mistake in putting up a frame building on such a valuable corner, with the grand prospect that this year shows. Before 1886 is closed very few of the old rookeries will be left on Ninth, two blocks down. Substantial buildings, anywhere for business houses, are far safer for the city and the investor. Mr. Doane will erect a fine stone block, handsome cut front, on the lot now occupied by the Schofield stable.


Cowley County Historical Society Museum