About Us
Museum Membership
Event Schedule
Museum Newsletters
Museum Displays


S. S. Majors

                                       Bolton Township, Wichita, and Winfield.
Bolton Township 1873: S. S. Majors, 31; spouse, Elizabeth, 32.
Bolton Township 1874: S. S. Majors, 32; spouse, Elizabeth, 33.
City of Winfield 1880: S. S. Majors, 38; spouse, Elizabeth, 40.
Also: Mary Majors, 21.
NOTE: Once I learned that James H. Vance was becoming a member of the Majors family due to his marriage to the daughter of Mrs. S. S. (Elizabeth) Majors, I included all items found relative to Vance. MAW
                                               FROM THE NEWSPAPERS.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, July 3, 1873.
Juror Drawn for the July Term of Court: S. S. Majors, Bolton Township.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, July 31, 1873.
The following Petit Jurors, on failing to appear as sum­moned, were each fined the sum of $10: William Sartin, S. S. Majors, I. F. Newland, A. B. Gardiner, and E. P. Young.
THIRD DAY. The fine of Young, Majors, Gardiner, and Sartin set aside.
Winfield Courier, March 2, 1876.
This week Mr. A. N. Deming and his estimable family move to Wichita to engage in the hotel business in connection with the Douglas Avenue House, and Mr. Sid Majors comes from Wichita to this place to take charge of the Valley House.
Winfield Courier, June 1, 1876.
Committee on Invitation: D. A. Millington, L. C. Harter, J. B. Lynn, C. A. Bliss, J. P. McMillen, H. S. Silver, A. H. Green, S. S. Majors, C. M. Scott, T. B. McIntire, R. C. Haywood, J. L. Abbott, John Blevins, T. R. Bryan, H. C. McDorman, Mc. D. Stapleton, S. M. Fall, J. Stalter, Wm. White, S. S. Moore, Jno. McGuire, H. P. Heath, J. O. Van Orsdal, G. B. Green, W. B. Skinner, J. W. Millspaugh.
Winfield Courier, August 17, 1876.
Just before going to press we learn that Mr. S. S. Majors has disposed of the City Hotel. Mr. Robert Hudson, formerly proprietor of the Valley House, being the purchaser, will take possession on Tuesday next. Sid. has, during his stay in this city, conducted the City Hotel with credit to himself, to the house, and to Winfield, and his many friends sincerely regret his going out of the hotel business in this city. Mr. Majors informs us that he intends returning to his farm some four miles west of Arkansas City.
Winfield Courier, September 7, 1876.

SID MAJORS informs us that he has leased the Lagonda House, and will be ready for business by the 20th inst. Sid is the best landlord that has ever been in Winfield, and he will no doubt make the running of this house a complete success. The house has been recently remodeled, repainted, replastered, and papered, and Mr. Majors proposes furnishing it from the floor of the cellar to the ceiling of upper story with bran new furniture and “fix­tures.” The house will no longer be run as the Lagonda, but as yet we have not learned the name by which it will hereafter be known. We, with his many commercial traveling friends, as well as those at home, wish him success.
Arkansas City Traveler, September 20, 1876.
S. S. MAJORS opened the Central Hotel, at Winfield, last Thursday, and is now having as good patronage as any house in the valley. Most of the people from this place, visiting Winfield last Saturday, stopped with “Sid.,” and all expressed themselves well satisfied. Mr. Majors is one of the best landlords in the Southwest, and a favorite with commercial men.
Arkansas City Traveler, September 20, 1876.
AD. CENTRAL HOTEL, (Formerly the Lagonda House), WINFIELD, KANSAS.
SID. S. MAJORS, Proprietor.
This house has been thoroughly renovated and remodeled, and is furnished throughout with new furniture. Special accommoda­tions for commercial men. Stages arrive and depart daily.
Winfield Courier, September 21, 1876.
NOTICE the card of the Central Hotel in this issue. Sid Majors has changed the name of the old Lagonda, and will now run it as the “Central House.” We liked the name of Lagonda. It has been “music to our ears” for four years, but we don’t object to the change. Sid will make it the best hotel in the Walnut Valley.
CARD: CENTRAL HOTEL, SID S. MAJORS, Proprietor. Winfield, Kansas.
This House, formerly the Lagonda, has recently been thor­oughly renovated and remodeled, and is furnished throughout with brand new furniture.
GOOD SAMPLE ROOMS. Stages arrive and depart daily.
Winfield Courier, October 12, 1876.
The “Grand Opening Ball of the Central Hotel” came off at the courthouse last night. It was well attended, the music excellent, and the supper, at Majors’, superb. Everyone enjoyed themselves to the fullest capacity. It was a decided success.
Winfield Courier, November 9, 1876.
A bill presented to the Council by S. S. Majors for $41.50, care and board of one Hudson, a pauper, was read and on motion referred to the finance committee.
Winfield Courier, February 15, 1877.
DIED. On Thursday, January 18, 1877, at Brantford, Canada, MR. HENRY MAJORS.
The deceased was the father of our respected townsman, Sid. S. Majors, and at the time of his death was a prosperous farmer living near Toronto; the village of Brantford being his nearest and most convenient trading point. On the day of his death he went to town, and was apparently in good health, but while walking on the street he, without a moment’s warning, fell dead upon the sidewalk. Mr. Sid. Majors, the bereaved son, has the sympathy of the entire community.
Winfield Courier, March 15, 1877.
Bill of S. S. Majors, $41.50, for care of Hudson, pauper, was reported on by finance committee, and, on motion, the bill was rejected.
Winfield Courier, March 29, 1877.

BASE BALL. Attorneys vs. Businessmen. That game of base ball on last Tuesday afternoon between the two nines, one of which was made up of attorneys exclusively and the other of businessmen, of this city, was decidedly an interesting one. The players, and a large crowd of spectators, assembled upon the ground, south of town, at [? failed to give time ?] o’clock p.m., soon after which the game commenced, with the attorneys in the field and the businessmen at the bat. The first man called to the bat was Mr. Thos. Copeland, who made a fair hit, making a home run. Next came Geo. Robinson and A. C. Dickinson, both “fouled out.” Fred Hunt then went to bat and by a fair hit made second base, where he was left by Sid Majors being put out by a fly catch, and being the third man out, when the businessmen went into the field and the attorneys to the bat. Mr. L. J. Webb was the first attorney called to the bat and “fouled out.” Mr. Buckman then followed with a fair hit and went to second base. Jno. Pryor went out on three strikes. A. H. Green then went to first base by a good hit, and Mr. Buckman at the same time making a score; Mr. Jennings went out on three strikes, being the third man out, put the side out, leaving Mr. Green on second base. The score was even at the end of the first inning, the businessmen gained five in the second, and the attorneys gained three in the third, leaving the businessmen only two ahead. The businessmen went seven more ahead in the fourth inning and sixteen in the fifth, leaving the score stand as will be seen below. The game was well played considering the fact that most of the players had not played a game of base ball for years and several of them never in their lives. Considerable interest was manifested in the game. At the beginning of the fifth inning, Mr. Green withdrew from the attorneys, whose place was supplied by Will Holloway, and Geo. Robinson withdrew from the businessmen, whose place was supplied by Mr. Guinn, of Sheridan Township, who made during this inning the strongest hit made during the game and made a home run. O. M. Seward, of the attorneys, did excellent playing behind the bat. The game was called at the close of the fifth inning, at 5 o’clock p.m.; duration of the game 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Score given after article shows that Businessmen had 44 runs; Attorneys had 19 runs.
Players—Businessmen: Copeland, c.; Dickinson, p.; Hunt, F. C., s.s.; Robinson, 1st b.; Majors, 2nd b.; Stuart, 3rd b.; Wallis, B. M., l. f.; Hunt, J. S., c. f.; Starwalt, r. f.
Players—Attorneys: Webb, 2nd b.; Buckman, p.; Pryor, J. D., 1st b.; Green, c. f.; Jennings, 3rd b.; Seward, c.; Asp, r. f.
Winfield Courier, April 5, 1877.
Mr. Sam Majors and family of Butler County were visiting their friend, Sid Majors, in the city this week.
Winfield Courier, April 26, 1877.
MARRIED. VANCE - McGAUGHY. At the residence of the bride’s mother, Mrs. S. S. Majors, by Rev. J. E. Platter, on Thursday evening, April 19th, 1877, Mr. James H. Vance and Miss Jennie E. McGaughy. Mr. Vance, who has for several years been a much respected citizen of Wichita, is a fine young man and comes among us well recommended and is welcomed by the social circle in this city. Miss McGaughy, well known to our citizens, is beloved and respected by her many acquaintances. The happy couple have the congratulations and best wishes of the COURIER and the entire community. Our force is under obligations for an abundant supply of the wedding cake, a small portion of which was dreamed over.
Winfield Courier, May 10, 1877.

Notice the change in the card, on the first page, of the Central hotel. The house will continue business under the firm name of Majors & Vance, and in the same first class style as it has in the past. The house has a commendable reputation abroad as well as at home, which will be retained through the skillful management of the proprietors, Sid and Jim.
CARD: CENTRAL HOTEL, MAJORS & VANCE, Proprietors, Winfield, Kansas.
This House, formerly the Lagonda, has recently been thoroughly renovated and remodeled, and is furnished throughout with bran new furniture. GOOD SAMPLE ROOMS.
Stages arrive and depart daily.
Arkansas City Traveler, May 30, 1877.
THE CENTRAL HOTEL AT WINFIELD is now conducted by Majors & Vance. Business was too rushing for one, and resulted in adding an additional gentleman as host.
Winfield Courier, June 7, 1877.
Mr. and Mrs. James Vance will visit Wichita next week.
Winfield Courier, June 21, 1877.
Mrs. Majors started last Monday for Southern Illinois, with the intention of visiting her old home and relatives.
Winfield Courier, June 21, 1877.
Fourth of July Meeting. A meeting was held last Monday night on Sid Majors’s front stoop to determine on some plan of action in regard to celebrating the glorious 4th of July.
H. B. Lacy, Esq.., was appointed to the chair, and made a few remarks in regard to the importance of the occasion, and the duty that each man ought to feel in lending a helping hand to the forwarding of the enterprise. A motion was made and seconded that a committee be appointed to secure the necessary orators for the occasion, but upon the chair suggesting that “that would be a h___l of a note, to select the orators before they know whether they were going to celebrate,” the motion was immediately withdrawn. Several other motions were ruled out of order as being premature. It was moved and seconded that “we celebrate,” and unanimously carried. On motions, committees on grounds, music, oratory, and finance were appointed by the chair. It was then moved that a committee on fire crackers be appointed, which motion was not entertained by the chair. The chair then suggested that it would be a good plan to adjourn to some given time and place. A motion was made to adjourn to meet at By Terrell’s hay loft on the 35th of the present month. The motion was indignantly rejected. It was then moved that the minutes of the meeting be read, but the secretary was found asleep with a stick and a blank piece of paper in his hands, and so they were dispensed with. A motion was then made to adjourn to meet on the next evening, which was unanimously defeated. The chair then rose and moved into the hotel and declared that he would adjourn it, and the meeting broke up with cries of “Lacy” and “ice.” C. H. F.
Arkansas City Traveler, July 11, 1877.
MR. VANCE and lady, with Mr. Copeland and one of the belles of Winfield, were on the grounds of the 4th of July celebration in Bolton. Mr. Vance is one of the managers of the Central, and Copeland exercises a lively quill on the Courier.
Winfield Courier, July 12, 1877.
We regret to learn of the severe illness of Mrs. Vance. She has been confined to her room for several days.

Arkansas City Traveler, August 15, 1877.
When you go to Winfield, stop at the Central Hotel. Major & Vance, proprietors, are hospitable gentlemen and know how to treat a fellow when they catch him away from home.      Independent.
Winfield Courier, August 23, 1877.
Sid Majors and wife visited friends in the vicinity of Arkansas City during last week.
Winfield Courier, September 6, 1877.
Mr. Jas. H. Vance and wife, of the Centennial hotel, are visiting in Wichita this week.
Winfield Courier, September 27, 1877.
Sid Majors drives a span of handsome and well matched cream-colored horses now.
Winfield Courier, October 4, 1877.
We met Mr. James Vance and lady, of the Central Hotel, at Wichita enjoying the fair. They returned on Friday.
Winfield Courier, November 8, 1877.
[From the Kansas City Journal of Commerce.]
There are half a dozen hotels in town representing all degrees of excellence, from the Central Hotel, creme de la creme, down to a twenty-five cent hash foundry. Sid Majors and Jim Vance are too well known as successful landlords to lose a wink of sleep over any threatened competition in this town.
Winfield Courier, December 13, 1877.
Majors & Vance, of the Central hotel, are having a big run now. The house is full every day and night. They have recently put another table in their dining room, making in all, five large well furnished tables. The silver and tableware are the best the market affords.
Winfield Courier, December 20, 1877.
Mr. and Mrs. James H. Vance visited Wichita last week. Jim reports everything “dead” and dull in that once lively and thriving little town.
Winfield Courier, April 18, 1878.
LOST. A dark brown pointer dog about one year old with white on his breast, a strap collar with a ring. I will give five dollars for his return. J. H. VANCE.
Arkansas City Traveler, May 1, 1878.
CENTRAL HOTEL, [Formerly the Lagonda House], WINFIELD, KANSAS.
This house has been thoroughly renovated and remodeled, and has new furniture throughout. Special accommodations for commer­cial men. Stages arrive and depart daily.
Arkansas City Traveler, June 12, 1878.

The delay of the paper last week was from the careless handling of a package of paper we had shipped by express that was thrown off at Winfield, and permitted to be taken away. We made every effort to get it, at considerable cost, but failed after a night’s ride and breaking a buggy to pieces. After we had given up the idea of getting it in time for that week, Sid Majors, the gentlemanly landlord and accommodating friend of everyone, brought it down to us in his private carriage. In the meantime we had printed about four hundred copies of the paper on some old paper we had, which we have to lose. Besides the disappointment to our patrons, it was an expense of nearly $50 to us, all owing to the carelessness of someone of the company. At this time, too, our regular carrier was taken sick, and the town papers had to be delivered by one of our old carriers and a number were missed that should have been supplied. We hope a repetition of the same neglect won’t occur again.
Winfield Courier, June 13, 1878.
Committee on streets and alleys reported on Majors & Vance petition in regard to the Lacy nuisance; that they did not consider the same to be a nuisance. On motion, petition was laid on the table.
Arkansas City Traveler, August 14, 1878.
BIRTH. JIM VANCE, of the Central Hotel at Winfield, has a clerk. It is four days old.
Winfield Courier, August 15, 1878.
Sid Majors and lady and Neal Fuller and lady left last Sunday for a visit to Toronto, Niagara, and other places on an excursion.
Arkansas City Traveler, September 18, 1878.
James Vance of the “Central” at Winfield came down and spent a few hours with us on Monday.
Arkansas City Traveler, September 18, 1878.
Mr. and Mrs. Majors, of the favorite Central Hotel at Winfield, returned from a visit to Canada last week.
Arkansas City Traveler, September 25, 1878.
DISTINGUISHED ARRIVALS. Sid S. Majors and wife, of Winfield, were down to assist in the funeral ceremonies of W. H. DeMott, last week.
Arkansas City Traveler, October 16, 1878
Sid Majors made us a flying visit last Monday.
Arkansas City Traveler, October 16, 1878.
S. S. Majors, R. L. Walker, Bert Crapster, O. M. Seward, Suss and Speed, and Frank Baldwin and lady were all here last Wednesday.
Winfield Courier, November 7, 1878.
Last Friday the Gun Club had their first glass ball shooting match with the following score. This is the first shoot and the score is not very good, but we hope that the next score will give a better showing. Dick Gates carried off the leather medal.
Cannot put scores down: too complicated. Club participants were Fred Heisinger (not in town), James Vance, Bert Crapster, F. C. Nommsen, Frank Manny, B. M. Terrill, Chas. Steuven, Dick Gates.
Winfield Courier, December 5, 1878.
The score of the shooting match last Thursday is as follows: Dick Gates, 10; Frank Manny, 9; James Vance, 9; Charles Steuven, 9; B. M. Terrill, 5; Bert. Crapster, 2; S. Suss, 3; Ed. Clisbee, 2; F. Nommsen, 1.
Winfield Courier, December 12, 1878.
The score of the shooting match last Friday is as follows: Fred Heisinger, 8; James Vance, 9; Bert. Crapster, 3; Chas. Steuven, 6; S. Suss, 4; C. C. Wallis, 7. For want of glass balls, they had to content themselves with shooting at apples.

Winfield Courier, December 12, 1878.
Gove’s Domestic Washer. Mr. Hardenbrook, the agent of the above washer, is in town selling the same. He will wash for any family in city or country free of charge to introduce his machine, THE BEST WASHING MACHINE EVER MADE. The machine and testimonials can be seen at the hardware store of H. Jochems, where orders may be left. The following named persons who have seen the machine work are referred to: Mr. & Mrs. Sid Majors, Mrs. S. I. Parr and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Tansey, Mrs. Hannah Gates, Mr. and Mrs. Olds, Mrs. A. J. Rex, H. L. Robbins, laundryman, and numerous others.
Winfield Courier, December 26, 1878.
[Special Correspondent, Atchison Champion.]
Winfield has excellent hotels, and of course your correspondent “put up” at the Central, where the majority of the traveling public do, kept by those good-natured, obliging gentlemen, Messrs. Majors & Vance. What these gentlemen don’t know about keeping hotels, it is useless for anyone else to undertake. H. C. R.
Winfield Courier, January 2, 1879.
CENTRAL HOTEL is a popular resort for the weary traveler, and under the auspices of Mr. Sid Majors and J. Vance, two experi­enced hotel men, and their estimable ladies, this house has become popular among traveling men. The stage and express offices are kept at this house.
CENTRAL HOTEL, MAJORS & VANCE, PROPRIETORS, WINFIELD, KANSAS. This house, formerly the Lagonda, has recently been thoroughly renovated, remodeled, and furnished throughout with new furni­ture. Stages arrive and depart daily.
Winfield Courier, January 2, 1879.
Winfield Courier, January 16, 1879.
The following officers of the Winfield Lodge, No. 101, I. O. O. F., were installed last Thursday evening.
M. B. Shields, N. G.; D. C. Beach, V. G.; John Hoenscheidt, R. S.; E. S. Bedilion, P. S.; Max Shoeb, Treas.; J. G. Kraft, R. S. to N. G.; J. H. Vance, L. S. to N. G.; J. E. Allen, W.; D. W. Southard, C.; J. W. Curns, Chaplain; B. M. Terrill, R. S. S.; Will Hudson, L. S. S.; John Smiley, I. G.; C. C. Stevens, O. G.; A. W. Davis, R. S. to V. G.; T. C. Robinson, L. S. to V. G.; J. S. Blue, Host. Total number of members 52.
Winfield Courier, May 1, 1879.
Sid S. Majors has purchased the property formerly owned by E. P. Kinne, on 12th Avenue.
Winfield Courier, May 1, 1879.
Sidney S. Majors and wife to Sarah E. Hunt. $2,000.
Daniel Hunt and wife to Elizabeth Majors, Lots 9 and 10, blk 161, Winfield. $1,800.

Winfield Courier, June 12, 1879.
Mr. Sid Majors and lady have been visiting friends in Butler County.
Winfield Courier, July 10, 1879.
In the “glass ball shoot,” which took place at 4 o’clock, Jas. Vance carried off the first premium, breaking 14 balls out of a possible 15. The races, owing to the bad condition of the track, were postponed.
Vance retires, replaced by Harter: Now firm known as “Majors & Harter.”...
Winfield Courier, November 27, 1879.
Next Monday the Central Hotel changes hands, Mr. Vance retiring, and Mr. Harter taking his place. The new firm will be Majors & Harter. The house is to be enlarged and remodeled; and if completed under the proposed plan, will be one of the most commodious hotels in the country.
Winfield Courier, December 11, 1879.
The following is a list of the elective and appointed officers of Winfield lodge No. 101, I. O. O. F., to serve for the ensuing year.
N. G.: A. W. Davis; V. G.: James H. Vance; Rec. Sec.: David C. Beach; Treas.: Max Shoeb; W.: John W. Smiley; C.: D. W. Southard; I. G.: M. B. Shields; O. G.: F. Ebenback; R. S. to N. G.: Jacob Lipps; L. S. to N. G.: Charles Youngheim; R. S. to V. G.: John Fleming; L. S. to V. G.: Daniel Steel; R. S. S.: B. M. Terrill; L. S. S.: Jno. Hoenscheidt; Chaplain: W. H. H. Maris; D. D. G. M.: M. G. Troup.
Winfield Courier, December 25, 1879.
Mr. James Vance and A. W. Davis, of New Salem, have pur­chased the livery stable and stock of A. G. Wilson. Jim Vance is one of the most popular young men in town, an old liveryman, and will undoubtedly catch “the boys.” We wish the new firm success.
Arkansas City Traveler, May 5, 1880.
The particulars of our account of the Winfield fire are taken from the Daily Telegram. We think we can beat Winfield in most anything, but we yield the palm in this particular. You can have another one if you want it.
Arkansas City Traveler, May 5, 1880.

WINFIELD’S FIRE. About 11 o’clock on last Thursday night, as the citizens of Winfield were wending their way home from the Opera House, the alarm of fire was given, and soon thereafter our beautiful little county seat was the scene of a most destructive conflagration. The fire originated in the furniture store of Fred Leuschen, on Eighth avenue, immediately in the rear of the Central Hotel. The cause of its origin no one knows. Mr. Leuschen says there has been no fire in the lower portion of the store where the fire broke out. The supposition is that a spontaneous combustion of the material used in varnishes, stains, etc., and like stores was the cause of the fire. The flames spread rapidly, it being but a few minutes before the entire building was entirely enveloped. Mr. Leuschen’s family, who resided in the second story of the building, barely had time to escape with their lives. All their personal effects were entirely consumed. Immediately east of the furniture store stood two frame dwellings, which it was impossible to save. They were owned by Messrs. C. L. Harter and Robert Hudson. The furniture being all carried out, these gentlemen sustained no great loss except that of the buildings. On the west of the building, where the fire originated, stood the livery stable of Hackney & McDonald. The contents of this place were removed, with the exception of a few bushels of grain and some hay. After this latter building took fire, it became evident that the Central Hotel must also yield a victim to the fell destroyer. The work of removing the contents began at once. Hurrying to and fro through the hallways of the building was a score or more of half dressed women, carrying in their arms bundles of clothing, and crazed with excitement and fear, presenting a spectacle that baffles description. Carpets were torn up, and with the beds and bedding, hastily carried into the street opposite the building. By the time this work was completed, the east wing towered up a waving mountain of flames. Harter & Majors had just completed the sale of this hotel to Mr. A. H. Doane, of Danville, Illinois; but as the transfer had not yet been made, the loss falls upon the old proprietors. The Lindell Hotel, adjoining the Central, soon gave way before the flames, though, as in the case of the Central, all the contents were carried out of reach of the fire.
The value of the buildings destroyed was between $10,000 and $11,000, with an insurance of only about $4,400.
Winfield Courier, May 6, 1880.
Last Thursday night, between 11 and 3 o’clock, Winfield was visited by the most disastrous conflagration yet happening within her borders. The fire started in the old log store, one of the landmarks of the town, and for years occupied by the COURIER, but was now being used by F. Leuschen as a cabinet shop. The fire is supposed to have originated from the old rags, oil, and varnish in the shop. The alarm was given before the fire was thoroughly underway, and had those first on the ground been furnished with decent appliances, it might have been controlled, saving thou­sands of dollars worth of property. The old log building was like a tinder box and made a very hot fire. Next to it on the east were two buildings, one belonging to C. L. Harter and occupied by the moulder at the foundry, the other owned and occupied by Robert Hudson. These buildings were both destroyed, but the contents were saved.
Immediately west of the log building, across the alley, was an old livery barn belonging to Hackney & McDonald, which was the next to go.
From this the fire was communicated to the Central and Lindell hotels. As soon as it was evident that the hotels must go, the work of getting out the furniture began. Carpets, bedding, crockery ware, and furniture of all descriptions were tumbled promiscuously out of windows and doors into the street, much of it being broken and smashed. The hotels being dry, pine buildings, burned rapidly, sending up large cinders which fell in different parts of the city, making the utmost vigilance neces­sary to keep them from igniting buildings three blocks from the fire.
When the two hotels caught, everyone turned their attention toward saving the buildings on either side of the street. They were covered with men who handled buckets of water and barrels of salt, and by their exertions prevented the fire from spreading and destroying the larger part of the business portion of our city.

The old part of the Central Hotel was owned by Jas. Jenkins, of Wisconsin. The new part of the Central Hotel was owned by Majors & Harter. They had sold out to A. H. Doane, and were to have given possession Saturday morning.
The Lindell Hotel was owned by J. M. Spencer, and was leased by Jas. Allen one month ago.
Our citizens generously opened their homes to the homeless people, and accommodations were offered for more than was needed.
The following is a list of the losses and insurance.
Captain Stevens, store, loss $1,000; no insurance.
Fred Leuschen, furniture store and dwelling, loss $1,200. Insurance on stock, in Home, of New York, $300.
C. L. Harter, tenant dwelling, loss $300; no insurance. Tenant had no loss except damage.
Robert Hudson, dwelling, loss $800. Mrs. Hudson removed most of her furniture. No loss except damage. No insurance on either house or contents.
Hackney & McDonald, livery stable occupied by Buckhart, loss $800; no insurance.
Central Hotel, main building: James Jenkins, loss $3,500; insurance, $1,500 in the Atlas.
Central Hotel, Majors & Harter portion: loss to building, $2,500; insurance, $2,100, as follows: Westchester, Springfield Fire & Marine and Hartford, $700 each. [Their insurance was on building and furniture.]  The loss of Majors & Harter in excess of their insurance will be upwards of $3,000.
PUZZLING! $2,100-INSURANCE...AND YET $700 EACH ($1,400)...DOES
           ON CONTENTS!
J. M. Spencer, Lindell Hotel, loss $2,500; insurance $1,000, as follows: Fire Association, $500; Phenix, of Brooklyn, $500; James Allen, loss $1,000; insurance, $800.
Policies are in the agencies of Gilbert, Jarvis & Co.; Curns & Manser; and Pryor & Kinne. The companies are all first class, and the losses will be promptly adjusted and paid.
Winfield Courier, May 6, 1880.
There is but one Central Hotel in the Walnut valley, and that is run by Charlie Harter and Sid Majors. There could not be two like it in one community. The house itself could be dupli­cated, but you could not find another Harter by a large Majority. Clay Center Dispatch.
Arkansas City Traveler, June 30, 1880.
Ed. Greer, of the Courier, with Messrs. Vance, Goldsmith, and Lee, of Winfield, was in town Monday. They were on their way home from Hunnewell.
Arkansas City Traveler, June 30, 1880.
Hunnewell is still the prospective town as is evidenced by the number of teams laden with lumber and merchandise that daily leave our city for this new “El Dorado.”
Davis sells interest in livery stable to Sid Majors: changed to Majors & Vance...
Winfield Courier, July 15, 1880.
A. W. Davis sold his interest in the livery stable of Vance & Davis to Sid. Majors on Monday. He leaves this Thursday morning for a visit to Denver, Colorado, accompanied by his wife.
Arkansas City Traveler, March 30, 1881.

S. S. Majors was on our streets last Monday.
Arkansas City Traveler, May 4, 1881. Front Page.
Arkansas City Traveler, May 18, 1881.
S. S. Majors, of Winfield, was in town on Monday.
Winfield Courier, June 16, 1881.
A considerable number of the citizens of Winfield met on Monday evening on the steps of the Winfield Bank to provide for raising funds for the immediate relief of the sufferers caused by the cyclone Sunday evening. Mr. Crippen called the people together by music from the band. Majors & Vance $5.00.
Sid Majors running “Railroad Hotel” in Cherryvale...
Winfield Courier, July 28, 1881.
Sid Majors has gone into the hotel business at Cherryvale. He has traded for the Railroad hotel and will run it.
Majors changes hotel name at Cherryvale to “Leland.”
Winfield Courier, August 25, 1881.
We met Sid Majors at Cherryvale the other day. He is keeping the Leland, the “crack hotel” of that place.
Winfield Courier, September 1, 1881.
Sid Majors was over from Cherryvale yesterday.
Winfield Courier, November 3, 1881.
CIVIL DOCKET. FIFTH DAY. Sid S. Majors vs. James H. Vance et al.
Kitty Majors marries Rembaugh at residence of her sister in Winfield. Could Kitty be a daughter of S. S. Majors, marrying at the residence of James H. Vance???
Winfield Courier, November 17, 1881.
Married. Mr. George Rembaugh and Miss Kitty Majors were married at the residence of the bride’s sister in this city Thursday after­noon. Rev. Platter tied the knot. George is foreman of the Courant office and one of the finest printers in the state. The bride is one of Winfield’s fairest daughters.
The answer to question posed before previous entry: it appears that Mrs. Sid Majors provided the wedding cake for her daughter’s wedding to George Rembaugh at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James H. Vance...
Cowley County Courant, November 17, 1881.
The COURANT band of printers are under many obligations to Mrs. Sid Majors (our George’s mother-in-law) for a goodly share of splendid wedding cake, and to George Rembaugh, her newly-made son-in-law, for a lot of fine cigars.
Cowley County Courant, November 17, 1881.

MAJORS & VANCE, LIVERY, FEED AND STABLE, Ninth Avenue, just west of the Post office, Winfield, Kansas. Keep the finest turnouts in the city in the way of buggies, carriages, and teams, provided especially for commercial men. Special attention given to our business and the care of stock left in our care. Give us a trial.
Reference made to “Vance’s horses” in next item...
Winfield Courier, December 29, 1881. Front Page.
About the 16th of May, 1881, E. J. Cooper, a young man doing a general merchandise business at Trinidad, Colorado, went to the wholesale Boot and Shoe House of J. A. Cooper & Co., of Kansas City, and purchased over two thousand dollars worth of goods on ten days time, stating that he had inherited some money from his mother’s estate and that he would then pay for the goods. Some time afterward he wrote to the Kansas City House, saying he had met with some misfortune and would pay soon. In September Cooper went before a Squire Walker in Trini­dad, and there made a sale to his clerk, W. J. Bolin, had the transfer acknowledged, and Bolin paid the amount over the squire’s table, twenty-three hundred dollars in cash. In less than five hours Cooper took the cars and “shook the dust” of Colorado from his feet. In the meantime someone telegraphed to the Kansas City House and they attached the goods, locked up the store, and the sheriff of Las Animas County put the key in his pocket. Bolin then came onto the scene, produced his bill of sale and proved the pur­chase; the only witness that could back the contract was Cooper: and he had gone where the “woodbine twineth.” Cooper & Co., began to hunt their faithless namesake. As time wore away it was discovered that Cooper had an aunt living at Marshalltown, Iowa; there they intercepted one of his letters, dated Winfield, October 16, 1881. In November their agent on this route gave the case to Capt. Siverd with a descrip­tion of the man. Capt. Siverd watched and waited; time wore on, and at last a letter addressed to Cooper came here from Augusta, Kansas, and last Saturday a man called for that letter. Capt. Siverd soon discovered that he was the man he wanted, and sent a man to talk to him. Approaching him from behind, he said: “Hello, Cooper. I think I met you in Colorado.” “Why, yes, guess you did. I did some business there for three years and think I shall go back.” The wires were called into use and last Monday night Cooper & Co.’s agent arrived; Hackney was called into service; a five thousand dollar bond was given from Kansas City through Read’s Bank, and by noon Thursday the agent, Jake Boyles, and Capt. Siverd were “lighting out” through Vernon Township for the residence of John McMahon, where Cooper was employed as a farm hand. His arrest was at once accomplished; his team, wagon, trunk, and clothing were attached, and Cooper invited to take a ride behind Jim Vance’s best greys. The agent gave them a sumptuous supper at the Brettun, and then Cooper was invited to Mr. Hackney’s office, where he showed his first dread of the jail. He soon lost his defiant air and “squealed.” He told the whole story of the fraudulent transfer to Bolin, signed the proper paper, and that night slept in No. 5 at the Brettun, guarded by Boyles and Capt. Siverd. The wires were again called into use between here and Trinidad. The clerk, Bolin, “threw up the sponge.” J. A. Cooper & Co. will get back their money. E. J. Cooper goes back to his counter; the case will be dismissed; and Siverd will wear a new coat. The probabilities are that Cooper and his clerk intended to meet somewhere after Bolin could convert the stock into cash, but did not see the difficulties in the way. And after the Trinidad attachment, Cooper drifted aimlessly into Cowley County, a fugitive from Justice, and went to work among strangers to keep from starving. He went back to Trinidad, Colorado, Friday.

Cowley County Courant, February 9, 1882.
Some people in this city would like to know the whereabouts of John Witherspoon. We are informed that yesterday noon he procured a two-seated rig from Majors & Vance and informed Jim that he was going out in the country about seven miles and would be back in two hours, since which time he has been conspicuous by his absence, and several persons are interested in his welfare. It seems that he told a party to tell Vance not to be uneasy about his team as he would be back today at noon. It is also discovered that he has mortgaged his billiard room outfit to the firm from whom he purchased his goods, sold a half-interest in the stock to E. Dunbar for a house and lot which he sold to E. C. Seward for cash. He took with him his family and it is supposed that he went north. E. Dunbar is perhaps out a house and lot and the loss will be severe for him. We hope Mr. Witherspoon will turn up all right, as there are several here on the anxious seat. Jim Vance returned from his trip after his team and wagon last Saturday evening. He met the team about five miles this side of Douglass driven by a boy from Augusta, from which place John Witherspoon started it. Jim congratulates himself on the recovery of his horses and wagon, even if he didn’t get any pay for the use of it. Witherspoon told the boy that he was going to Wichita, and go around on the train.
Cowley County Courant, April 6, 1882.
FOR SALE: Half interest in an established livery stable in this city. Good reason for selling. Also, for sale or trade, 160 acres of first-class farming land, one mile from Seeley.
Cowley County Courant, April 6, 1882.
Arthur Bangs thought he would break Charley Black’s runaway nag of its tricks Monday, so he hitched it on to a buggy and started around to take in the city. The horse wouldn’t have it that way, and started to run a little just for fun. Arthur was unable to manage him, and after letting him run awhile, tried to pull him into a lumber wagon on Main Street. He succeeded in guiding the horse sufficient to run the buggy wheel against the wagon, which threw Arthur out of the buggy and into the wagon box without receiving any serious injury. The horse then went out east on Ninth avenue and the last seen of him he was going on east between the mounds, with the buggy following him very modestly. The same horse ran away with Charley Black Sunday when his wife and children were in the buggy, and Mrs. Black was considerably injured.
LATER. The wild animal has been captured and brought into town by Jim Vance, and the buggy is being carried in in small pieces.
Cowley County Courant, May 11, 1882.
The board of directors of the Agricultural and Horticultural society met at the Courier office, in Winfield, May 6th, 1882, at two o’clock P. M. Committees were appointed.
Finance: W. J. Hodges, J. C. Roberts, James Vance, J. L. Horning, James Schofield.
Cowley County Courant, June 22, 1882.

Among those who especially exerted themselves in the boats and water for the recovery of the body of the drowned boy, Charlie Austin, we noticed Mr. Colgate, Frank Finch, Tom Myers, Charlie Hodges, Capt. Smith, Dr. Wells, Ben Cox, Sydal, Sid Majors, Hank Paris, Bert Freeland, and a number of others who were strangers to us. Those in the river were ably assisted by those on the banks. Horses and teams were freely tendered for conveying implements to be used in the search for the body, everyone seeming desirous of doing their part.
Winfield Courier, July 13, 1882.
Ninth Avenue, West of Post Office, Winfield, Kansas.
Carriages and teams furnished on short notice and reasonable terms.
Winfield Courier, July 20, 1882.
Winfield Lodge No. 101, I. O. O. F., at its meeting on July 13th installed the following members as officers for the ensuing term.
M. B. Shields, N. G.; W. H. Dawson, V. G.; Jos. O’Hare, Recording Secretary; E. S. Bedilion, Per. Secretary; R. S. Kroft, N. G.; J. H. Vance, L. S. U. G.; Howard, Warden, Bradt, Con.; O. H. Herrington, I. G.; Will Hudson, O. G.; L. B. Jolliff, R. S. V. G.; E. Youngheim, R. S. S.; J. W. McRorey, L. S. S.
Winfield Courier, October 5, 1882.
Lost. A white pointer dog, both ears and one side of face brown. Brown spot on back between hip bones about the size of a silver dollar. Large scar on left shoulder. A liberal reward will be paid for his return to Jas. Vance, Majors & Vance Livery Stable.
Winfield Courier, November 9, 1882.
Sporting News. The Grand Annual hunt of the Winfield Sportsmen’s Club took place last Thursday. The club met at the Brettun House Monday evening and elected J. N. Harter and Fred Whitney captains. Each hunter, with the advice of his captain, selected his route, and most of them went out to the field the evening before. The following is the score.
J. N. Harter, Capt., 2,700; Jas. Vance, 1,400; Frank Clark, 1,140; Frank Manny, 200; Jacob Nixon, 1,780; Ezra Meech, 620; Sol Burkhalter, 610; Dr. Davis, 310; C. Trump, 150; Ed. P. Greer, 160; E. C. Stewart, 120; G. L. Rinker, 360. TOTAL: 9,550.
Fred Whitney, Capt., 110; G. W. Prater, 290; J. S. Hunt, 1,130; C. C. Black, 1,070; Jas. McLain, 1,000; A. S. Davis, 100; H. Saunders, 130; Q. A. Glass, 240; A. D. Speed, 240; Dr. Emerson, 190; J. S. Mann, 100; J. B. Lynn, 000. TOTAL: 4,660.
The gold medal was won by Mr. Harter. The tin medal will be won by J. B. Lynn. On next Wednesday evening the nimrods will banquet at the Brettun, at the expense of the losing side. The score made by Mr. Harter has never been equaled in this county.
Winfield Courier, November 30, 1882.
T. H. Jackson, the “Common Sense” Liniment man, has returned to this place after an absence of three years, for the purpose of introducing his new remedy, “Jackson’s Common Sense Renovating Powders,” for Pink-eye, Epizootic, Coughs, and Colds. It is also a positive destroyer of worms, which are the cause of most of the diseases of horses. He will remain at Majors & Vance’s stable for a few days, where persons having lame or diseased horses can consult him free of charge.
Winfield Courier, December 7, 1882.

About Horse Medicine. T. H. Jackson, the famous horse-medicine man and proprietor of “Jackson’s Common Sense Liniment,” has been in the city several days—not for his health, as many might suppose, but to push his Liniment and to introduce his new “Common Sense Renovating Powder,” for pink-eye, coughs, colds, and worms in horses. The powders are not put up for chickens, goats, dogs, and to cure the ills of the whole animal kingdom, but are exclusively and emphatically for the purposes set forth above. We have interviewed several of our liverymen on the subject. W. L. Hands says: “Jackson’s Liniment is indispensable in my barn. It saves me hundreds of dollars a year, and never fails of a quick and permanent cure. If the powders do as well as the liniment, they will be of greatest benefit to horsemen.” Jas. H. Vance, of Majors & Vance livery stable, says: “There is no use of talking, Jackson’s liniment is the best thing out. It cures sprains and bruises on a horse every time. The renovating powders, if they are equally as effective, will do wonders for horse flesh.” J. N. Harter says that the sale of Jackson’s Liniment is greater and gives better satisfaction than all the other liniments in the market. Druggist Brown also recommends it highly. It is for sale by them and all druggists.
Sid Majors disposes of his portion of livery stable, which is now called “Vance & Collins.”...
Winfield Courier, January 11, 1883.
Sid Majors disposed of his interest in the livery business last week to Mr. Collins, formerly of Oxford. The firm now appears, Vance & Collins.
Winfield Courier, February 1, 1883.
The following petition was circulated last week by Frank Manny, taken to Topeka, and presented by him to Senator Hackney.
WINFIELD, KANSAS, January 23, 1883. HON. W. P. HACKNEY, State Senator, Topeka, Kansas. Inasmuch as the Prohibition Amendment, as enforced, has always resulted in injury to the material development of our town—it having signally failed to accomplish the object sought, the suppression of the sale and use of intoxicating drinks—we would respectfully urge upon you the necessity of so providing for the enforcement of the law that its application shall be uniform throughout the State. If this is impossible, don’t sacrifice our town on the altar of inordinate devotion to an impracticable principle.
J. H. Vance and S. S. Majors both signed the above petition.
Winfield Courier, February 15, 1883.
“For the purpose of paying teachers’ wages and improving and repairing school buildings, the laying of sidewalks and improvement of school furniture. . . .”
      Election 1st ward: to be held in a building situated on Lot No. 19, in Block No. 129, in said ward. J. C. Fuller, George Emerson, and G. H. Buckman to be judges; John M. Reed and H. E. Silliman to act as clerks.
Election 2nd ward: to be held in a building situated on the rear end of Lot No. 1, in Block No. 109, in said ward. B. F. Wood, A. H. Doane, and T. H. Seward to be judges; L. D. Zenor and J. H. Vance to act as clerks.
Arkansas City Traveler, March 21, 1883.

[From the Winfield Telegram newspaper.] Mrs. Frank Speers, of Arkansas City, who has been visiting the last few days with Mrs. James Vance, returned home Tuesday.
Winfield Courier, April 26, 1883.
The Match Shooting. By invitation, the Arkansas City Gun Club was present at the weekly meeting of the Winfield Club on Tuesday. The score on ten balls each was as follows.
SHOOTERS: Parish, Young, Steadman, Speers, Shelden, Breene.
SHOOTERS: McLain, Vance, Clark, Whiting, Manny, Black.
Following this was a match with five balls each, which resulted as follows.
PLAYERS: Parish, Young, Steadman, Shelden, Breene.
PLAYERS: Vance, McLain, Clark, Black, Whiting.
Quite a crowd of spectators were present. Mr. Parish, of the Arkansas City Club, broke every ball in both matches, but two of them were broken just as they touched the ground and were ruled out by the referee, as were several balls broken in the same way by the Winfield Club. The Arkansas City boys were the guests of the Winfield Club during their stay in the city.
Another daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S. Majors???...
Arkansas City Traveler, May 16, 1883.
Miss Mary Majors, of Winfield, has been in the city for several days past visiting her many friends.
Winfield Courier, May 31, 1883.
Amusements: C. C. Black, T. M. McGuire, John Keck, Jas. Vance, A. T. Spotswood, and J. Wade McDonald.
Sid Majors purchases interest in W. A. Freeman livery business...
Winfield Courier, July 12, 1883.
Sid Majors has purchased an interest in the W. A. Freeman livery business.
Winfield Courier, July 26, 1883.
Winfield is well represented at Geuda Springs this week. Mrs. W. R. McDonald and her daughter, Ida, went over a few days ago, and on Tuesday Mrs. Majors, Mrs. Vance, and Mrs. Roy Millington inaugurated a season of rest and recreation at the same place. Several others contemplate going over soon.
Sid Majors buys Likowski billiard hall, fitting it up for a restaurant...
Winfield Courier, September 13, 1883.

Uncle Joe Likowski has sold out his billiard hall paraphernalia and the building is being fitted up by Sid Majors for a restaurant. This change will seem strange to the old settler for awhile. For the last nine years “Old Joe” has held forth at this stand, dealing out the ardent before the prohibitory law, but since running only the billiard hall. The old gentleman is being sorely afflicted by an old wound received on the left ankle while serving with the Kansas militia just before the war. It is growing so much worse as to threaten amputation. He will go to Florida in a few weeks.
“Sid’s Place.” Restaurant and confectionery store...
Winfield Courier, September 20, 1883.
Sid Majors has thoroughly remodeled the old Joe Likowski stand and got opened up in good shape. It is a restaurant and confectionery store, and will be called “Sid’s Place.”
Winfield Courier, October 25, 1883.
Mr. G. E. Vance, of Altoona, Pennsylvania, a brother of our Jim Vance, came in Monday and will spend a few weeks visiting here. He is accompanied by Mr. Boyd, a friend from Pittsburgh. They are both conductors on the Pennsylvania Central railroad. A duck hunt was improvised for their benefit Wednesday, and the boys will try to make it pleasant for them during their stay.
Winfield Courier, November 8, 1883.
The grand annual hunt of the Winfield Sportsmen’s Club came off last Thursday. The captains were Jas. H. Vance and Jas. McLain. There were twelve hunters on each side, but several could not go, leaving ten on Capt. Vance’s side and only eight on Capt. McLain’s.
The count was as follows: Jas. Vance, Captain: 1,520; Frank Clark: 1,910; J. S. Hunt: 1,835; Kyle McClung: 1,130; J. Cochran: 1,855; W. P. Beaumont: 1,010; Frank Lockwood: 370; A. T. Spotswood: 205; A. S. Davis: 1,125. TOTAL FOR VANCE TEAM: 10,970.
McLain team: Jas. McLain, Captain: 1,230; J. N. Harter: 1,120; C. C. Black: 715; G. W. Prater: 970; Fred Whiting: 1,245; Ezra Meech: 3,420; Judge E. S. Torrance: 865; Wilson Foster: 1,380. TOTAL FOR McLAIN TEAM: 10,945.
Capt. Vance’s side having made 25 points the most was declared the victor.
The annual Banquet and presentation of the medals was held at the Brettun Saturday evening. It was an elegant affair and one of the most enjoyable of the season. In a neat and appropriate speech, Mr. C. C. Black presented the gold medal, awarded for the highest score, to Mr. Ezra Meech, who responded to the toast “How did you catch ’em?” with a full description of his days report and the methods he so successfully employed in bagging the festive little “cotton tail.” Next came the presentation of the tin medal, by M. G. Troup, which was done in that gentleman’s happiest vein. The recipient, A. T. Spotswood, responded in a short speech. After other toasts the company adjourned for business at which it was decided to hunt again with the same sides, on November 22nd. This is the third annual hunt of the club, and has been more successful than its predecessors.
Winfield Courier, January 17, 1884.
                                                           The Masquerade.
The members of the Pleasant Hour Club have made the winter thus far very pleasant in a social way. Their hops have been well attended, and the utmost good feeling and harmony has prevailed. Their masquerade ball last Thursday evening was the happiest hit of the season. The floor was crowded with maskers and the raised platforms filled with spectators. At nine o’clock the “grand march” was called, and the mixture of grotesque, historical, mythological, and fairy figures was most attractive and amusing. Then, when the quadrilles were called, the effect of the clown dancing with a grave and sedate nun, and Romeo swinging a pop-corn girl, was, as one of the ladies expressed it, “just too cute.”

The following is the list of names of those in masque, together with a brief description of costume or character represented.
LADIES. Mrs. Rembaugh, Folly; Mrs. James Vance, Gipsy.
Winfield Courier, March 27, 1884.
It is rumored that Sid Majors will lease the building vacated by J. S. Mann, and again convert it into a hotel. Sid would be just the man to fill the demand for more hotel accommodations.
Sid Majors was approximately 42 years of age in 1884 when he reopened the old Williams House, calling it “The Central.”...
Winfield Courier, April 10, 1884.
Sid Majors is having the old Williams House Building fitted up in first-class style for a hotel, to be christened after the one which gave him popularity in days gone by, “The Central.” He will open out in a few days.
Mr. C. Collins, of the livery firm of Vance & Collins, has the foundation up for a handsome residence on his quarter block on the corner of Mansfield Street and Ninth Avenue. This place has many trees, is close to business, and will make a good home.
Winfield Courier, April 24, 1884.
A horse ran away with Miss Mary Majors last Friday, throwing her out of the buggy, but luckily producing only a few slight injuries. A number of toilet sets, being taken from Sid’s house to the new hotel, were in the buggy and completely demolished.
Winfield Courier, April 24, 1884.
Sid Majors opened up his new hotel, “The Central,” Monday, and kept open house to his many friends during the day. The house is furnished throughout with new furniture, and is neat and complete in every way. This is Winfield’s sixth hotel, and all are running over with business.
Winfield Courier, June 19, 1884.
Jas. H. Vance has been selected to prepare the race program for the 4th. He knows how to do it.
Winfield Courier, June 26, 1884.
No. 1. PACING.
Mile heats, 1 in 3. Purse, $75.00.
$45.00 to 1st; $22.50 to 2nd; $7.50 to 3rd.
Mile heats, 3 in 5. Purse, $90.00.
$54.00 to 1st; $27.00 to 2nd; $9.00 to 3rd.
½ mile heats, 2 in 3. Purse $60.00.
$45.00 to 1st; $15.00 to 2nd.
In all the above races 5 to enter and 3 to start.

Entrance fee 10 percent of purse.
JAMES H. VANCE, Com. on Races.
Stalls will be furnished on the grounds free of cost to those who desire to use them for speed purposes for a few days preceding the races.
Winfield Courier, July 10, 1884.
Credit was extended to Messrs. J. C. Long, Jas. H. Vance, D. L. Kretsinger, J. P. Baden, A. T. Spotswood, R. E. Wallis, Wm. Whiting, C. C. Black and Fred Kropp for the success of the celebration.
Sid Majors teams up with Jim Schofield to lease a hotel in Missouri???...
Winfield Courier, August 28, 1884.
Sid Majors and Jim Schofield have leased a hotel in Pierce City, Missouri, and will take charge next week. They will make a good hotel team.
Winfield Courier, August 28, 1884.
Jim Schofield and Sid Majors were loading their effects into a freight car Monday for transportation to Pierce City.
Winfield Courier, August 28, 1884.
A party of young folks consisting of Messrs. Will Stull, Clint Austin, Charlie Hodges, and Misses Susie De LaMeter, Anna Hyde, and Mary Majors, took a flying trip to Arkansas City Friday evening and “took in” the masquerade skating. A pleasant time is reported.
Winfield Courier, October 2, 1884.
James Vance is tussling with inflammatory rheumatism, and confined to home.
Winfield Courier, October 16, 1884.
Jim Vance was taken over to Geuda Springs last week. His spell of rheumatism is a very severe one.
The next item discloses the fact that Mr. and Mrs. S. S. Majors (and probably their young daughter, Mary), had taken up residence in Pierce City, Missouri. It seems strange that the Courier made no mention of activities relating to last hotel started by Majors let alone the dining room and confectionery business that he started in Winfield plus activities with the livery stable Majors was involved with...
Winfield Courier, December 18, 1884.
Mrs. George Rembaugh and Mrs. Jas. Vance are visiting their parents in Pierce City, Mo.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 12, 1885.
Miss Mary Majors came in from Pierce City, Mo., last week for a visit with her sisters, Mrs. Geo. Rembaugh and Mrs. James Vance.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, April 16, 1885.
The Cowley County Driving Park Association have joined the Southern Kansas Trotting Circuit and will give the first meeting May 21 to 23. At a recent meeting of the Directory, Messrs. Kretsinger, Spotswood, and Smith, for the Directory, and Messrs. J. Wade McDonald and Jas. Vance, for the delegates, were appointed to arrange and conduct the meeting. The Circuit embraces the following cities and dates, as follows.
Parsons: May 13, 14, and 15; Winfield: May 21, 22, and 23; Harper: May 28, 29, and 30; Wichita: June 4, 5, and 6.

Each Association hang up $1,500 in purses—aggregating $6,000 for the circuit. From information so far received, all the meetings will be attended by a large field of horses. Among the lot will be some of the fastest flyers in the State, with records down in the “twenties.”
Following is the program for Winfield.
1. Purse $150, 2:50 Class, Trot.
2. Purse $200, Free for All, Pacing.
3. Purse $100, ½ Mile, 2 in 3.
4. Purse $200, 2:33 Class, Trot.
5. Purse $150, 2:50 Class, Trot.
6. Purse $150, 1 Mile, 2 in 3.
7. Purse $150, 2:40 Class, Pacing.
8. Purse $200, Free for All, Trotting.
9. Purse $75, ½ Mile Dash.
10. Purse $125, Novelty Running, divided; $20 to ¼ mile, $40 to 1 mile, and $65 to 1½ mile post.
Our committee are live energetic men and will make the meeting a big success at Winfield. THE DAILY COURIER will post its readers from time to time as interest requires.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, June 25, 1885.
James Vance, D. D. G. M., assisted by twelve from the Winfield Lodge, instituted Dexter Lodge No. 257, I. O. O. F., Wednesday, with the following members: J. D. Ward, S. H. Kirk, C. A. Peabody, John Simmons, J. S. Bernard, W. G. Seaver, J. V. Hines, W. M. Chastain, L. Harrison, E. B. Noble, G. P. Wagner, S. H. Wells, J. T. Riggs, C. C. Brown, L. J. Howerton, Fred W. Fay, R. F. Kaster, C. W. Ridgway, George Callison, and J. A. Million. The Dexter folks entertained those from Winfield in a manner most agreeable. Our folks had a delightful drive, starting back at sun up this morning—a drive that comes as a balm in Gilead to the penned up businessman.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, July 16, 1885.
The following are the officers installed by the District Deputy Grand Master, J. H. Vance, at the last meeting of the I. O. O. F., to serve for the ensuing term.
George D. Headrick, N. G.; Jos. O’Hare, V. G.; J. M. Reed, R. S.; J. P. Stewart, P. S.; S. J. Hepler, T.; W. H. Dawson, R. S. N. G.; A. Snowhill, L. S. N. G.; J. W. Chancey, W.; M. B. Shields, Con.; Samuel Dalton, C.; M. Hahn, L. S. S.; A. B. Taylor, R. S. V. G.; Walter Harris, L. S. V. G.; Wm. Palmer, L. G., H. C. Callison, O. G.
The Lodge is one of the best in the State, as is proven by its financial condition. The trustees have secured the upper story of the new Morehouse building for a term of five years, which will be fitted up especially for lodge purposes. Mr. J. H. Vance, the financial manager of the institution, is entitled to much credit for his management of the affairs of the Lodge.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, July 30, 1885.

The base ball rage is still at fever heat. Friday afternoon there was a lively game at the park between a picked nine from the Central and a picked nine around town. The Central nine were: Frank Crampton, Levi Crampton, Will Russell, Harry Holbrook, Will McKay, Frank Lowe, Wardie Lee,       Hathaway, and McClelland. Frank Crampton, captain; McClellan, catcher; and Harry Holbrook, pitcher. The Exterminators were: Lum Callahan, Arthur Bangs, John Crane, Jim Vance, A. Snowhill, Cap. Whiting, Tom Eaton, D. L. Kretsinger, and Jim McLain. The Exterminators were excellent batters but lacked skill as fielders. They also had no good catcher. If they had had a good catcher, they would have made it very warm for the Central. Arthur Bangs sent the balls in like a bullet. Lum Callahan was the only one in full uniform. He had borrowed the suit of some clown of a yellow shade. The first lick he made in this suit, he split it, but Lum showed himself equal to the emergency by stepping aside and turning his garments front for back. This gave Lum a presentable appearance, and things went on all right. The last half of the ninth inning was not played by the Centrals. The score stood 27 to 37 in favor of the Centrals.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, August 13, 1885.
The base ball game at Arkansas City Wednesday between our Exterminators, composed of Frank Hathaway, G. D. Byerly, Tom J. Eaton, George Byington, Arthur Bangs, James Vance, John Crane, Cap Whiting, and James McLain, and the Terminus’ “Rough on Rats,” was a daisy game, for good feeling and genuine exercise, with some very good playing. The Rough on Rats were made up of Arkansas City businessmen, who went in for the fun of the thing: and got it. Our fellows put it to them with a score of 33 to 17. The Rats entertained the Exterminators in royal style, and all pronounce the occasion tip top. The Rats will return the game in a short time. Our Eli’s are getting a daisy “rep.”
Winfield Courier, Thursday, August 27, 1885.
James Vance, A. B. Taylor, J. H. McClellan, George Liermann, H. M. Zimmerman, Frank L. Crampton, John Craine, and Wm. Palmer, of the Odd Fellows Lodge, of this city, went over to Burden today to cross bats with a nine composed from Burden’s Lodge. Will Kirkwood and others went along.
Sid Majors returns and takes over the Central Hotel from Frank L. Crampton...
Winfield Courier, Thursday, September 3, 1885.
The Central Hotel changed hands yesterday, Sid Majors and Ivan Robinson having bought out Frank L. Crampton. Sid can’t keep out of the hotel business in Winfield. Frank Crampton will go west to grow up with the country. He has run the Central with satisfaction to all and we hope profit to himself. He is a young man of superior business qualifications and will succeed anywhere.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, September 3, 1885.

Wednesday was a big day for Burden—in the sporting line. Two base ball games, glass ball shoot, foot races, and other things too numerous and diversified for mention. The leading event was the game of base ball between the Odd Fellows of Winfield and those of Burden. Winfield got there of course. She always does. The score was fourteen for Winfield and eleven for Burden. It was a very fine game, for amateurs, and drew a large crowd of spectators. Our nine was composed of James Vance, A. J. McClellan, A. B. Taylor, Frank L. Crampton, Israel Martin, Will Kirkwood, A. F. Hopkins, George Liermann, H. M. Zimmerman, and Mr. Wagner; one or two of whom were out of the I. O. O. F. fold: proxies. E. A. Henthorn and John Ledlie were the principals in the Burden nine. John sat on a chair and had a small boy run in his balls—yet very few balls got past his corpulency—a perfect “stop” anywhere. Enos took in all the flies—none too high. He was dressed in ornamental tights, high water pants, and female hose, and presented a very fine appearance. Like Banquo’s ghost, he wouldn’t down—always up seven feet two. Frank Crampton pitched and A. J. McClellan caught for our fellows. Our nine are elated over the splendid entertainment given them. Burden will return the game in two weeks. A second game followed yesterday between Burden’s Clippers and Grenola’s club, the former getting there with a score of twenty to ten. Capt. Nipp was champion on glass balls. It was a “circus day” all around and the town was full of amusement lovers: ladies and gentlemen.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, September 17, 1885.
The base ball game between Burden’s Odd Fellow nine and a nine of Winfield’s Odd Fellows, at the Fair Grounds Thursday afternoon, was one of much interest and splendidly played for amateurs. The Burden nine were: W. R. Jackson, catcher and short stop; J. S. Leffler, pitcher; Wm. Elliott, catcher and short stop; E. W. Woolsey, first base; J. W. Henthorn, second base; John Ledlie, third base; Arthur Bangs, left field; George Cessna, center field; E. A. Henthorn, right field. Our nine was composed of A. J. McClellan, catcher; John Craine, pitcher; Amos Snowhill, short stop; George Byington, first base; A. B. Taylor, second base; Billy Dawson, third base; George Liermann, left field; George D. Headrick, center field; James Vance, right field. Clint Austin umpired the game and James McLain scored. E. A. Henthorn, John Ledlie, and Billy Dawson were the attractive stars. Enos had to have his balls so high that the catcher had to stand on stilts, and the players looked up like a gentle youth star-gazing. John Ledlie and Billy Dawson had soft bottomed stools and a ten cent boy each to run in their balls. At the 9th inning the score was even, when our fellows made the winning run, with one man out. The score stood twenty for Burden and twenty-one for Winfield. The jolliest good cheer was maintained throughout the game by players and spectators. The visit of the Burden Brethren was very enjoyable all around. They were banqueted at the Central, the guests of our nine.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, September 24, 1885.
Misses Mary Randall and Mary Majors came up from Ponca Thursday afternoon, after two weeks visit with the Hodges. May and Will Hodges accompanied them up. May will remain to attend our high school.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, October 1, 1885.
The speed ring runs along—the smoothest way under the superintendency of James Vance, and the judgeship of Capt. P. A. Huffman, Messrs. A. T. Spotswood, and Sol Burkhalter. They are old in turf experience and can readily tell every point in a race.

THE ROADSTER SHOW. The show of roadsters was very fine. Jim Vance, Joe Harter, Capt. Nipp, Gene Wilber, Billy Hands, Arthur Bangs, Joe Moore, and Judge McDonald were in the ring with their steeds. The driving was very fine and resulted in Joe Harter capturing the blue ribbon and Gene Wilber the red. In double roadster teams, Billy Hands, Gene Wilber, C. C. Pierce, and John Hahn competed. The teams were as fine as any one could wish to see. Billy Hands took first premium and Gene Wilber second. The teams were very evenly matched and the decision hard to make. In the roadster stallion class, Capt. Lyon captured first premium for 4 year-olds. For 3 year-olds, Judge McDonald’s “Malcomb Spray” took first.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, October 1, 1885.
The following are the real estate transfers filed in the office of Register of Deeds since our last issue.
Sid S Majors and Ivan A Robinson to Elizabeth Majors, lots 11, 12, 13, and 14, blk 49, A C: $800.
Sid Majors’ daughter, Mary, marries Abe Smith, Frisco railroad conductor, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Vance in Winfield. Mr. and Mrs. Smith planned to move to Pierce City, Missouri...
Winfield Courier, Thursday, October 29, 1885.
Married at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Vance, at 8:30 Sunday, Mr. Abe Smith and Miss Mary Majors, Rev. McDonough, the Episcopal minister of this city, officiating. The bride is a young lady well known here and high esteemed for her many excellent qualities. She is the daughter of Mrs. Sid Majors and the sister of Mrs. James Vance and Mrs. Geo. C. Rembaugh. The groom is a gentleman in every sense of the word and at present a popular conductor on the “Frisco” road. Immediately after the ceremony the happy couple took the K. C. & S. W. for Pierce City, their future home. They leave a host of friends here who wish them unbounded bliss and prosperity for their future lives and in which THE COURIER heartily joins them. We understand that they were tendered numerous and valuable presents by their friends, which we were unable to get a list of.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, November 12, 1885.
The Winfield Sportsmen’s Club held its annual meeting Monday night at A. H. Doane’s office. Officers were elected for the coming year: Joe Harter, president; Q. A. Glass, secretary, and A. H. Doane, treasurer. The day of the annual hunt was fixed on Wednesday, November 18. President Harter, James McLain, and James Vance were made a committee to revise the game score. Thirty new names were handed in for membership. The Club meet next Monday evening to make final arrangements for the hunt. This Club’s annual hunt have occasioned for years more genuine recreation and fun than anything ever inaugurated in the sporting line. But game is not as plentiful as yore, making the boys scramble to run up a big score. They always wind up with a big banquet at the Brettun.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, November 12, 1885.
Judge Soward and Jim Vance boarded the K. C. & S. W. train Tuesday for a big hunt up the road. No doubt the country in and around Latham will be entirely cleared of game today.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, November 26, 1885.

The annual hunt of the Winfield Sportsmen’s Club, yesterday, was all in a conglomerate mass on the floor of the Brettun House office last evening, where President Harter and Secretary Glass conducted the count of the terrible slaughter and gave the individual scores. It was a tired crowd of hunters, many of them looking very sad eyed. The unlucky ones swore on a stack of powder that Cowley County is just about gameless—some of them didn’t see a cotton tail all day; yes, some of them didn’t see anything, which is verified by the nonentity of their score; but hardly by the appearance of their ammunition, which seems to whisper, “wasted on the desert air.” But an honest consultation of hunters was unanimous in the verdict that they never did so much traveling for so little game. The game appeared to have been notified of its impending fate and crawled in its hole. Capt. Huffman’s division laid it over Capt. Hunt’s division by a good majority. The losing side sets up the banquet at the Brettun tonight, when a big time is anticipated. James McLain, as last year, bobbed up serenely with the champion score and raked in the gold medal. Dr. Riley, with a score of 20, raked in the tin medal.
Huffman’s Division. P. A. Huffman, 1620; Jas. McLain, 1755; J. N. Harter, 410; Fred Whiting, 665; K. McClung, 765; Chas. Holmes, 730; F. Kessinger, 180; John Eaton, 235; J. R. Handy, 1130; Q. A. Glass, 115; Dr. J. G. Evans, 385; Dr. Emerson, 385; Dr. Riley, 20; J. B. Garvin, 215; T. J. Harris, 65; L. M. Williams, 170. Total: 8,845.
Hunt’s Division. J. S. Hunt, 595; Jas. Vance, 705; F. Clark (didn’t hunt); Jap Cochran, 955; H. D. Gans, 910; J. B. Nipp, 805; J. Denning (didn’t hunt); Geo. Jennings, 805; M. L. Devore, 320; Geo. Headrick, 390; A. H. Doane (didn’t hunt); Geo. McIntire, 320; G. L. Rinker, 220; J. Barnthouse, 260; Hop Shivvers, 260; D. McCutcheon (didn’t hunt). Total: 6,445.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, November 26, 1885.
Thursday night was the occasion of the annual banquet of the Winfield Sportsmen’s Club. The annual hunt occurred the day before, the victors and defeated had received their scores, and now was another meeting, to eat, drink (water), and be merry; the “greenies,” or unfortunates, telling how they walked and walked, and fired and fired, and came out with only a few cotton-tails; and the victors were to explain how they managed it in getting so much salt on the tails of their game. The banquet, of course, was spread in the large dining hall of the Brettun, “set up” by the losing division, under Captain Hunt. Messrs. Harter & Hill did themselves proud in the preparation of the banquet, a magnificent array of about everything obtainable in the culinary art, with waiters most attentive. At nine o’clock the feast began, partaken of by the following.
Victors: P. A. Huffman, captain; Jas. McLain, J. N. Harter, Fred Whiting, K. McClung, Chas. Holmes, F. Kessinger, John Eaton, J. R. Handy, Q. A. Glass, Dr. J. G. Evans, Dr. Emerson, Dr. Riley, J. B. Garvin, T. J. Harris, L. M. Williams.
Defeated and had to set ’em up: J. S. Hunt, captain; Jas. Vance, F. Clark, Jap Cochran, H. D. Gans, J. B. Nipp, J. Denning, Geo. Jennings, M. L. Devore, Geo. Headrick, A. H. Doane, Geo. McIntire, G. L. Rinker, J. Barnthouse, Hop Shivvers, D. McCutcheon.

Judge Soward, an old member of the club, Ed. G. Gray, the scribe and a few others, were admitted to the feastorial court as guests. The feast over, Judge Gans, in a happy speech characteristic of the Judge, presented James McLain, whose score of 1755 made him the champion “sport” of the club, with the gold medal, a beautiful solid shield, engraved: “Presented to James McLain by the Winfield Sportsmen’s Club, for the highest game score, in 1885.” Jim was all “broke up,” as he should be, and asked John A. Eaton to the rescue for a response. John is always equal to any occasion and set the crowd in a roar with his unique remarks. Then came the presentation of the tin medal to Dr. Riley, for his lowest score of 20. Judge Soward’s wit bubbled out in a speech very witty and sparkling, full of happy hits. The Doctor’s response was very appropriate. Lively toasts on the “pot-shot,” the “professional shot,” and various subjects were dissected by Huffman, Vance, Emerson, Nipp, and others. It was a very happy occasion throughout, one to be long remembered.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, January 14, 1886.
The words cementing two more hearts have been pronounced, and Mr. Lewis Brown and Miss Lena Walrath are no longer known singly. The happy event wedding them was celebrated last night, at the well appointed home of the bride’s brother and sister, Mr. and Mrs. C. Collins. The occasion was no surprise. It had been anticipated with interest for some time. The general anticipation only made the event the more complete. At an early hour last evening, the large double parlors of Mr. and Mrs. Collins’ home were a lively scene, thronged with youth, beauty, and age.
Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Vance were included in the list of guests.
Among the list of gifts. Upholstered plush rocker, Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Robinson, Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Root, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Vance, Mr. and Mrs. D. A. Millington, Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Doane, C. E. Pugh, W. A. Ritchie, and M. Hahn.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, January 21, 1886.
The following officers of Winfield Lodge No. 101, I. O. O. F., were installed for the ensuing year: Jos. O’Hare, N. G.; A. B. Taylor, V. G.; D. C. Beach, Rec. Secretary; J. P. Stewart, Per. Secretary. S. J. Helper, Treasurer; M. B. Shields, Conductor; J. W. Chancy, Warden; J. H. Vance, R. S. to N. G.; M. Hahn, L. S. to N. G.; H. H. Siverd, L. S. to V. G.; A. Snowhill, R. S. to V. G. This order has a very strong organization here, and is in fine working order.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, January 21, 1886.
Mrs. J. H. Vance and son returned Thursday evening from a month at Pierce City, Missouri. Jim had all he wanted of widowerhood.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, January 28, 1886.
Never did Winfield have a more successful and thoroughly pleasurable social event than last Thursday night at the Opera House, the fifth annual Bal Masque of the Pleasant Hour Club. It was the talk of the town from the issuing of the invitations and fully met the fondest expectations.
Mrs. George C. Rembaugh was a Spanish girl, lively and graceful.
Mrs. James Vance was a very fine simile of the daughter of the regiment, with a tasty costume of national colors.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, March 18, 1886.
Joe Harter, James H. Vance, James McLain, Arthur C. Bangs, and Mr. Wood, a newcomer, crawled from their downy couches at four o’clock Tuesday, and girding their loins, lit out for the Kile McClung duck paradise in South Bend, to slay the festive and palatable duck as he awoke from his night’s slumber. Great was the assassination, great the fun, and great the bags of game.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, April 1, 1886.

The ducks must go. A party with blood in their eyes, a taste of delicious duck in their mouths, and a general liking for sport in their frames, lit out last evening for the South Bend duck paradise. The party embraced James McLain, Bret Crapster, James Vance, and Eugene Bogardus, the great rifle shot. They spent the night with Kyle McClung and besieged the duck haunts at break of day this morning. They bagged a fine lot.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, April 15, 1886.
John A. Eaton, James McLain, Joe Harter, T. H. Soward, Jim Vance, A. H. Doane, and Sol Burkhalter girded their loins and went forth to the old fair grounds Thursday afternoon to knock the wadding out of glass balls—the first shoot of the season. Each shot at twenty balls. McLain broke 17, Vance 15, Burkhalter 14, Harter 13, Soward 13, Eaton 13, Doane 4. This was good shooting for the first practice. The Winfield Gun Club will shortly be reorganized, with the Peoria blackbird, a new invention, instead of the glass balls. ’Tis fine sport and the re-initiation of yesterday afternoon gave these shootists a bad dose of the old-time fever.


Cowley County Historical Society Museum