About Us
Museum Membership
Event Schedule
Museum Newsletters
Museum Displays


Thomas J. Johnson

Not known whether or not the T. J. Johnson in Tisdale was “Thomas J. Johnson.”
Tisdale Township 1874: T. J. Johnson, 25; mother, Caroline E., 85.
Kansas 1875 Census, Tisdale Township, Cowley County, March 1, 1875.
Name                     age sex color    Place/birth Where from
L. A. Johnson         32    f      w      Indiana             Indiana
T. J. Johnson          26  m     w      Iowa                      Indiana
Walnut Township 1881: T. J. Johnson, 33; spouse, Jennie G., 22.
                                               FROM THE NEWSPAPERS.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, October 16, 1873.
CIVIL DOCKET. FOURTH DAY. T. J. Johnson et al vs. Winfield Town Co.
Winfield Courier, November 19, 1874.
A Pleasant Time. Upon the invitation of the Maple Grove Grange of this county, a party consisting of Prof. Wilkinson, Mrs. Wilkinson, E. S. Torrance, Esq., Miss Helen Parmelee, ourself, and Mrs. Kelly attended the open session of that grange last Monday evening. This grange is held at what is called Ferguson’s schoolhouse in district 45. The schoolhouse is, perhaps, one of the best in the county outside of Winfield and Arkansas City. It cost the district nearly $1,000 in bonds. On our arrival we found the house full to overflowing with big and little grangers, the sons and daughters of honest toil.
The Grange was called to order by the Worthy Master, Mr. James H. Land, who briefly announced the object of the open session. An opening song being sung by the members, and prayer by the Chaplain, the grange was declared ready for business.
First a lecture was given by Mr. Frazier, in which he depicted the oppression and tyranny of today as equaled only by the oppression of the colonists in the days of King George the III. That it was the laboring men and farmers of that day who threw off the galling yoke just as the farmers and laborers of today would break the chains with which they are bound.
Next came a song by Mr. McCune. Then instrumental music by Professor Wilkinson and Mrs. Kelly. An essay was read by Mrs. Amanda Roberts on the old, old theme of “Woman’s Work.” This to our mind, was the best production of the evening. Her essay was well prepared, and aside from a pardonable embarrassment, well read. The whistling “Plow Boy,” was then sung, after which a speech by Mr. T. J. Johnson. Then a paper entitled “Boys on the Farm,” was read by Mr. C. A. Roberts, which was quite humorous.

Prof. Wilkinson made a short speech in which he advised the farmers to begin the work of reformation at home, and not mix the “tailings” with good wheat, nor sell half hatched, for fresh eggs. When the regular order had been gone through with E. S. Torrance, Esq., ourself and several others were called out but declined to make speeches. The thanks of the Grange was voted to the party from Winfield for the music furnished, when the meeting was closed in Grange order. The Winfield party are under obliga­tions to Mr. David Ferguson for transportation to and from the meeting.
Winfield Courier, December 31, 1874.
Public Installation. There will be a Public Installation of the officers of Maple Grove Grange elected for the ensuing year, on the first Monday evening in January, 1874, at half past six p.m. sharp. The programme for the evening is as follows.
Master states object of meeting.
Speech by brother Melville.
Installation of officers.
Lecture to officers by brother Gans of Lazette.
Essay on sociability by A. Fraser.
Essay on education in the grange by T. J. Johnson.
Song by Miss Maggie Bush.
Essay on dishonesty and deceitfulness by Chas. A. Roberts.
Essay on “Our Teachers,” by Mrs. Chas. A. Roberts.
Closing song.
A general invitation is extended to all.
                                                      By Order of the Grange.
Winfield Courier, January 14, 1875.
Maple Grove Grange No. 714, P. of H. at regular meeting on the first Monday evening in December, the following named members were elected to fill the several offices for the ensuing year.
Master, Wm. Orr; Overseer, T. J. Johnson; Lecturer, A. Frazer; Steward, A. Orr; asst. Steward, D. Ferguson; Chaplain, John C. Roberts; Treasurer, J. H. Land; Secretary, Chas. A. Roberts; gate keeper, G. W. Prater; Ceres, Mrs. C. A. Roberts; Flora, Mrs. A. Frazer; Pomona, Miss Maggie Bush; Lady Asst. Steward, Mrs. Jos. C. Roberts; Trustees: Rev. Sol Ferguson, G. W. Prater, and J. H. Curfman. JOS. C. ROBERTS, Sec’y.
Winfield Courier, April 29, 1875.
WINFIELD KAN., April 21st, 1875.
To friends and brethren who have contributed aid to the destitute of Cowley County, Kansas, who reside in Indiana, at points I shall mention below:
I have delayed writing to you until all should arrive that was solicited and shipped by me, and according to my directions.

The car load of grain, flour, etc., contributed to this county, in the vicinity of Brookfield, and London, mostly by relations, friends, and personal acquaintances of mine, was sent to another county, where some of Wm. Mason’s friends reside, without the knowledge or consent of the donors—done in my absence by Mr. Mason, who was acting as chairman of our neighbor­hood committee, and who agreed to ship the car when loaded to our county committee, according to directions given by me. Conse­quently, our county received nothing from those points except $5.00 given by Frank Shaffer, who refused to give grain unless I would return with it.
The car load raised in the vicinity of Mount Pisga, and shipped from Shelbyville, came after a long time with freight charges for most of the route. The $41.60 in cash was received by our committee in due time.
The $184.00 raised by the sale of the Sumner car load of grain was duly received by the committee, and also the $18.00 subscribed. The boxes of clothing, fruit, etc., arrived about the first of this month.
The car sent from Acton, contributed by the citizens of the Fry neighborhood and New Bethel, principally, came in most a week ago.
Western railroads have been charging freight on relief supply for several weeks.
The above acknowledgment I hope you will accept as a receipt for the supplies so generously bestowed upon the destitute of our county. It affords me pleasure to say to you, that our County Relief Committee have faithfully, and honorably, discharged their duty, and I believe, given general satisfaction.
I tender my hearty thanks to many friends for their kindness to me, and for their assistance. Among whom I will name Rev. John Reace, the McCabes and others, of Mt. Pisga; Jesse Leonard and family, N. Neasuer, and many other good Quakers, of Sumner; Wm. McGregor, Mr. Moore, Jas. Carroll, and seven others that space will not permit me to mention, who reside in the vicinity of Acton and Bethel.
I reached home March 26th, and was delighted to see farmers so hopefully and industriously sowing spring grain, and preparing the fields for planting corn. Many at this date have finished planting. Cattle have been living on the range for a month nearly, and are now beginning to thrive nicely. The prospect for wheat is fair, though we need a little rain just now. We are having some immigration this spring, and property is gradually advancing in value. Hoping that we may never again be so unfor­tunate as to require help from abroad, and thanking you in behalf of the people, I remain yours truly, T. J. JOHNSON.
Paper should have stated “W. O. Johnson” instead of “O. Johnson.”...
Winfield Courier, September 14, 1876.
O. Johnson, of Indianapolis, Indiana, a brother of our genial friend. T. J., of this township, is out on his first visit to this county. He expresses himself as being well pleased with the West.
Winfield Courier, November 22, 1877.
T. J. JOHNSON threshed his wheat last week, and got a better turnout than he expected. He had fifty acres, but it was harvested late with waste. He threshed out and saved 20¼ bushels to the acre, and thinks if it had been well saved, it would have yielded 22. It is a plump and good grain of the Walker variety.
Winfield Courier, January 24, 1878.
Real Estate Transfers.

H. N. Banner to T. J. Johnson, s. e. 14, 32, 4, 160 acres, $2,500.
T. J. Johnson, constable, Walnut township...
Winfield Courier, July 17, 1879.
Walnut Twp., Cowley Co., July 12, 1879.
Pursuant to call, the Republicans of Walnut twp. met at the courthouse in Winfield and organized by the election of J. H. Curfman, chairman, and T. A. Blanchard, secretary. The object of the meeting being the election of a Township Republican Commit­tee. The following gentlemen were chosen: T. A. Blanchard, D. Robertson, and S. E. Burger.
J. H. CURFMAN, Chairman. T. A. BLANCHARD, Sec.
Walnut Twp., Cowley Co., July 12, 1879.
Pursuant to call, the citizens of Walnut twp. met at the courthouse in Winfield on the 12th day of July, 1879, and orga­nized by the election of J. H. Curfman, chairman, and T. A. Blanchard, secretary. The object of the meeting being stated, the nomination of a township ticket to be voted upon at the coming township election on the 22nd day of July, inst.
Committee on nominations appointed as follows: Robert Weakley, John Mentch, and John Hoenscheidt, who, after due deliber­ation, made report, which was received and unanimously adopted as candidates at the approaching election: trustee, J. C. Roberts; treasurer, Joel Mack; clerk, T. A. Blanchard; Justice of the Peace, J. L. King and S. E. Burger; Constable, T. J. Johnson and Abe. Land. Messrs. Mentch and Hoenscheidt were appointed a committee to procure ballots.
Resolved, That Winfield papers be requested to publish.
J. H. CURFMAN, Chairman. T. A. BLANCHARD, Sec.
Winfield Courier, November 27, 1879.
Tom. Johnson is the best hog raiser in the county. Last week he brought in two porkers that tipped the beam at 1350 pounds.
Winfield Courier, February 24, 1881.
Walnut township has been convulsed by a law suit between Tom Johnson and Charley Roberts, in which Charley sued Tom for $34.20. The jury gave him a verdict for 25 cents and the festive Charles is disconsolate. The suit will be before Justice King.
Winfield Courier, April 13, 1882.
Four good valley farms for sale, well located and improved, from 2½ to 6 miles from Winfield, ranging in price from $1,600 to $3,500 on easy terms. Inquire at the brick residence near the brewery. The residence is also for sale. T. J. JOHNSON.
Winfield Courier, August 9, 1883.
Mrs. Tom Johnson is absent visiting friends in Iowa.
Winfield Courier, November 1, 1883.
Mr. T. J. Johnson is erecting a house in the northeastern part of the city, for rent. The demand for tenement houses is causing many to be built.
Winfield Courier, April 10, 1884.

The tract near Manny’s brewery is filling up rapidly with good houses. E. H. Gilbert has just finished four houses for rent in addition to a residence for himself, all of which were rented before a nail was driven, one of them at $20 per month for a boarding house.
In the same neighborhood houses are being built by Jim Nichols, Tom Johnson, and W. J. Andrews, all neat and good.
Note: Ella Johnson, sister of Thomas J. and W. O. Johnson, married C. W. Hill...
Winfield Courier, December 28, 1882.
MARRIED. A quiet, but very pleasant wedding took place last Thursday evening at the residence of Mrs. J. E. Platter, at which time Miss Ella Johnson was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Mr. C. W. Hill, of Wellington, Rev. J. E. Platter officiating. The ceremony was performed at 7½ p.m., and after partaking of an elegant supper, the happy couple left on the 10 o’clock train for Wellington, their future home, where the groom has resided for some months. Mr. Hill formerly lived in Winfield, and was a member of the hardware firm of George & Hill, and has many friends here. Miss Johnson has grown to womanhood in this place, and by her sweet disposition and pleasant manners, has won a place in the hearts of her friends, who join with us in wishing her every happiness in her new life.
Winfield Courier, June 12, 1884.
Mrs. Chas. Hill, of Wellington, is visiting her brothers, W. O. and Tom Johnson.
Winfield Courier, October 2, 1884.
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Hill and Mr. and Mrs. A. Graff were among the Wellington folks who attended our Fair last week, the former visiting W. O. and Tom Johnson, brothers of Mrs. Hill, and the latter Mr. and Mrs. C. Collins. They were highly pleased with our displays as compared to those of Sumner.
Winfield Courier, December 18, 1884.
Tom Johnson and family have located at Boulder, Colorado, where Tom hopes to regain his health, impaired by consumption.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, March 5, 1885.
George McCarl will move over on Tom Johnson’s place for the summer.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, June 11, 1885.
MURDER MOST FOUL! Mrs. White’s Skull Crushed in by a Flat-Iron or Ax While Lying in Bed! THE DEMON UNKNOWN! A Parallel to the Quarles Tragedy, With Results More Deep and Despicable.

THE STORY OF THE HORRIBLE AFFAIR. Monday night between one and two o’clock, a tragedy was enacted almost the simile of the one in which Mrs. Anna Quarles was the victim, a few months ago. But its results are even more mysterious and horrible! In company with Dr. Emerson, a COURIER reporter visited the scene at eight o’clock this morning. On the bank of Timber creek, just north of Tom Johnson’s residence and near Frank Manny’s Brewery, is a little box house, 10 x 12, with pasteboard roof, papered cracks, and no windows. On entering this crude house a sickening sight met our gaze. Lying on a hay bed, and surrounded by circumstances indicating almost poverty, was the victim of this tragedy. The face, neck, hair, and bed clothing were covered, and the throat and lungs filled, with blood. The whole skull over her right eye was crushed in, exposing the brain and presenting a terrible sight. Mrs. R. H. White was only mechanically breathing, expected to pass unconsciously away at any moment. Just back of her lay the baby, a nice looking little girl of two years, calmly sleeping. The other child, a little girl of five, had been taken to Mrs. Tom Johnson’s. At the foot of the bed stood the husband, and around the house was a crowd, anxious to learn the particulars. Starting at the fountain head,
MR. WHITE SAID: “My wife and I were married in 1880, in Johnson County, Illinois, where most of our relatives live. Last fall we came west, to take a claim. When we reached Winfield, I thought it would be better to stop here, work at my trade, painting, until spring and then go out west. But I was unable to obtain much work, rents were high, and we had a hard time to get along. Last April I got permission of T. J. Johnson to build this shanty, to save rent, and here we have since lived. We rented a garden patch, my wife tended it while I painted, and we were getting along well. In Illinois I was once in the edge of a fearful cyclone, one that tore up everything in its track, and I have since been deathly afraid of storms. My wife wasn’t afraid, and so since living here I have been in the habit of going down into the lime kiln (on the creek’s bank, in the edge of the timber about a hundred feet from the house), and staying there till the storm was over. Last night, about 12 o’clock, it looked like a cyclone, and leaving the babies asleep and my wife lying on the side of the bed with only her shoes off, went down to the kiln, thinking to prepare it for the wife and babies; but on reaching there, I covered my head with an oil cloth and stayed probably an hour and a half, not considering it worthwhile to get the folks. It quit raining and calmed down and I went to the house. Before I got there a flash of lightning showed the door to be ajar and it looked like the light was out. On getting there I found the door partly open, but the light burning all right. My wife was lying as I had left her excepting her head was hanging over the edge of the bed and her face was covered with blood. I thought she had fallen, hurt herself, and fainted; and I ran for Mr. Mann and Mrs. J. R. Scott (both living only a little way) and got some camphor. She was unconscious and her hair had fallen down over the awful gash covering it so that I didn’t know how bad she was hurt until somebody brought Doctors Emerson and Graham. Then it dawned upon me that some devil had come into the house while I was out and dealt the awful blow. My wife or I hadn’t an enemy in the world that we knew of; have always got along well and were as happy as our poor circumstances would admit. I don’t have the least idea who could have done the deed. I heard no screams and had suspicioned no one or any such harm. She is my first wife and we only have these two children. She is twenty-four years old and I am thirty-six. She weighed about one hundred and fifty pounds, was unusually healthy and always light-hearted. Her folks are well off in Illinois, and we have both seen better days. I have been painting for twelve years. I took much pride in landscape and sketch painting, and hope to make a fine artist.” Several sketches of Winfield residences and scenery were lying around the house, among them sketches of the homes of W. J. Wilson and Dr. C. Perry, painted for practice.

THE PREMISES. The furniture in the house is in harmony with the shell containing it. It is very meager, consisting of a small cooking stove, three wooden bottom chairs, a few dishes, mostly tin, a rude bedstead, with hay tick and pillows, and a small home-made table. No signs of a struggle were visible, excepting the print of a bloody hand on the round of chair that sat just under her head, as she was found. Sheriff McIntire and Marshal McFadden were early on the ground, and found suspicious footprints. They indicated a number nine boot or shoe and that the party had come up from the west and had looked through a large knot hole in the wall, supposedly to see who was in the room. This was the only trace that could be found. The blow was undoubtedly struck with a flat iron or an ax. The gap commences in the middle of the right forehead and runs diamond shape above the temple and into the hair. The skull bone was broken into splinters and taken out piece by piece by Drs. Graham and Emerson, who at once pronounced the injury fatal. The bones removed, a ghastly sight was revealed in the deep cavity: a mixture of blood and brain.
THE NEIGHBORS. Our reporter interviewed the neighbors and found that all had formed a good opinion of Mr. and Mrs. White. None had ever heard of a family jar or anything that would denote domestic infelicity. Both husband and wife always appeared to be industrious and happy as possible with such meager pecuniary comforts. Mr. Mann was the first neighbor aroused last night, between one and two o’clock. He hastily put on his clothes and went over. When he got there, White had his wife in his arms dashing water in her face, which was streaming with blood. When Mann came in he laid her down on the bed and ran over to J. R. Scott’s, the painter, and Mrs. Scott was soon at the murdered woman’s side. Mrs. White and Mrs. Scott had been more intimate than any of the rest of the neighbors and takes much sympathetic interest in the sad affair. She found Mrs. White lying on the bed unconscious, her frame in a terrible tremor, and the blood streaming from her mouth and nose. The husband was trembling from head to foot, though making no other demonstrations. The physicians arrived at four o’clock, and not till then, when a number of neighbors had gathered, did any realize the terrible extent of the injury. White told all the neighbors when he aroused them that his wife had fallen and hurt herself, and he didn’t appear to understand how bad the hurt was. Mrs. White had often told Mrs. Scott how good her husband was to her. One day last week she called Mrs. Scott’s attention to a trampish looking man whom she said was an utter stranger to her and yet had passed by her door several times with a queer stare at the house. The children didn’t wake up until the noise made by the neighbors as they came in, and knew nothing of the tragedy that takes away their mother.
THE HUSBAND. Mr. White is, of course, in a terrible position—one which involves many theories that may do him injustice. The cool manner in which he accepts the sickening affair seems to play against him in the minds of many. Those who know him best attribute this to his naturally quiet and unassuming disposition, and that though outwardly undemonstrative, within is brooding the deepest sorrow. Before the reporter he exhibited no nervousness and talked very calmly, giving details without a falter. When the reporter left, he was sitting at the table eating some biscuits and drinking some coffee a neighbor had brought in. He is a man of fair looks and small in stature. He appears inoffensive and, as far as anyone knows, is a man of good habits. Such a mystery, of course, is always surrounded by various theories formulated by circumstantial evidence and a curious public. Of course, THE COURIER, having made thorough examination, has its theory but withholds it until put to use, if there is anything in it, by our officials. We present the bare facts in the case and, for the present, will leave a searching public to draw its own hypothesis. No arrests have yet been made.

THE VICTIM. The victim was still breathing at three o’clock this afternoon, though life was almost extinct. To one beholding the awful cavity in her head, the wonder is forcible that she lived a moment after the blow. This is probably accounted for by her wonderfully robust constitution. She is of compact build, good nerve, and has suffered little from sickness. She has never uttered a word or groan since the blow—merely breathes.
Coroner Marsh, of Tannehill, was sent for and will take charge of the body and hold an inquest as soon as life ceases.
At five o’clock last evening the victim of Tuesday night’s terrible tragedy, Mrs. R. H. White, succumbed to the inevitable. The husband was taken into custody by Sheriff McIntire and lodged in jail, without a warrant, to avoid any injury that might possibly be done to him. Coroner H. W. Marsh was in the city and immediately impaneled the following jury and began the inquest: E. D. Taylor, Henry Brown, J. C. Curry, W. A. Freeman, E. S. Bedilion, and Dick Gates. Drs. Emerson and S. R. Marsh examined the body and found no evidences of violence excepting the crash in the skull. After examining the premises, the jury separated and the inquest was adjourned to the Court House at 8 o’clock this morning.
MRS. JAMES R. SCOTT, was called and corroborated what her husband had said regarding condition and position of Mrs. White when they got there, etc. “Mrs. White was often at my house. Said Mr. White was always good and kind to her—had said nothing about family matters for a month.”
UNFINISHED. There are a number of witnesses yet to be examined and the inquest will not close before tomorrow evening. The court room was thronged all day, over-flow crowds being all around the Court House. The interest taken in the tragic affair is intense. White was again placed in jail after his examination and seemed perfectly satisfied to go. His demeanor on the witness stand was just as it has been all through the affair: stolid and indifferent, answering questions without a falter, and in a smooth way. He seems to be a man of considerable intelligence.
THE FUNERAL. The unfortunate woman was laid away today in the potters field of Union Cemetery, with a short ceremony at the grave conducted by Elder Myers, of the Christian Church. The neighbors dressed the body nicely and gave it every attention and a number of citizens attended the funeral, which was under the charge of the officials. The county will have to bear the funeral expenses. White didn’t ask to be taken to the funeral—in fact didn’t appear to take much interest in it. When Sheriff McIntire offered to take him, he went, but showed no outward grief at the grave. The children are in charge of Mrs. Tom Johnson.
The evidence introduced after that reported in THE COURIER was meager in development. Levi Hayes and T. J. Johnson were the only remaining neighborhood witnesses  and their testimony was principally the same as that given by other neighbors preceding them.

DR. GEO. EMERSON said: “I was called for Tuesday morning about 5 o’clock, and on reaching there found Dr. Graham, J. R. Scott, T. J. Johnson, and others there. I made a post mortem examination of the body with Dr. S. R. Marsh. The wound must have been made by a heavy blunt instrument and with great force. The flat-iron was tried in the wound and presume the wound was given by it. We also examined and found human blood on the flat-iron. From our critical examination of the body, I do not think there could have been any sexual intercourse for at least twenty-four or thirty-six hours before death. I think the woman was probably lying down on her left side when the blow was given, though the blow might have been made when the woman was standing, but she must have been instantly placed on the bed to have spattered the wall above the head board with blood.”
DR. S. R. MARSH, testified: “I held, in connection with Dr. Emerson, a post mortem examination on the body of Mrs. Julia Ann White. I have heard Dr. Emerson’s testimony and I fully concur therein.”
This concluded the testimony, the throng was asked to retire and the jury went out. After twenty minutes deliberation the jury returned their
VERDICT: The verdict was sealed, and owing to the excitement among our people, it has been made known only to the officials and the reporter and its appearance in THE COURIER will be the first knowledge the public will have of the jury’s decision. “An inquisition holden in the city of Winfield in Cowley County, Kansas, on the 9th and 10th days of June, 1885, before me, H. W. Marsh, Coroner of said County, on the body of Mrs. Julia Ann White by the jurors whose names are hereunto subscribed, the said jurors, do say, that the said Julia Ann White came to her death on the 9th day of June, 1885, from a blow received from a blunt instrument (probably the flat iron shown to the jury), crushing the skull, said instrument in the hands of Robert H. White, husband of the said Julia Ann White, with murderous intent. In testimony the said jurors have hereunto set their hands this 10th day of June, 1885.—Henry Brown, J. C. Curry, W. A. Freeman, E. S. Bedilion, E. D. Taylor, and D. R. Gates. Attest: H. W. Marsh, Coroner Cowley County.”
Winfield Courier, Thursday, June 18, 1885.
The Citizens of Winfield Gather En Masse to Welcome the College Committee.
WINFIELD LEADS THEM ALL. Honor to Whom Honor is Due—Some Happy and Forcible Speeches. A BIG TIME AND GLORIOUS ENTHUSIASM.
Thursday was the occasion of much joy to the people of Winfield and vicinity. The Opera House was filled with rejoicing people. Early in the evening the House commenced to fill, and impatiently waited for the gentlemen to put in an appearance for whom they had gathered to welcome. The Courier Cornet Band discoursed sweet music, sufficient to charm a God of olden times. Everybody felt happy.

Among the more potent factors in obtaining this great enterprise for Winfield were the soliciting committees who circulated the sub-papers with wonderful energy and success. They raised nearly twenty thousand dollars in this way—almost every man, young and old, in the city made good subscriptions, with many donations from the ladies. Nothing could more plainly demonstrate the great liberality and public spirit of our citizens. There is no doubt that without such assiduous labor on the part of these soliciting committees, Winfield would never have got the college. The committee for Winfield city were: Capt. J. B. Nipp, Judge T. H. Soward, Judge H. D. Gans, Capt. T. B. Myers, Prof. A. Gridley, J. E. Conklin, Frank Bowen, and J. E. Farnsworth. Those soliciting in adjacent territory, as near as we can ascertain, were: Rev. B. Kelly, Col. Wm. Whiting, Rev. S. S. Holloway, Rev. J. H. Snyder, A. H. Limerick, J. A. Rinker, T. J. Johnson, Dr. S. R. Marsh, J. W. Browning, J. A. McGuire, George Gale, D. W. P. Rothrock, D. A. Sherrard, D. Gramme, W. E. Martin, A. Staggers, W. D. Roberts, E. M. Reynolds, J. C. Roberts, and C. Hewitt.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, September 3, 1885.
Miss Sarah McCommon spent several days of last week with Mrs. Chas. Hill, at Wellington, and her brother, Ira, at Caldwell. Mr. and Mrs. Hill returned to Winfield with her Saturday, to remain several days among relatives and friends. Mrs. Hill is a sister of W. O. and T. J. Johnson, and is well known in this city.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, October 1, 1885.
The following are the real estate transfers filed in the office of Register of Deeds since our last issue.
Thos J Johnson et ux to Sidney S Wood, lots 11, 12, blk 266, Citizen’s ad to Winfield: $585.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, October 22, 1885.
T. J. Johnson has two very sick children.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, November 12, 1885.
Tom Johnson and James Brown are the latest victims of Marshal McFadden and Judge Turner. They got $12.25 apiece, and departed soberer, poorer, and wiser men.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, December 17, 1885.
Tom Johnson returned from a trip to the western counties yesterday. He thinks it will be only a question of time when the wild and wooly west will be all right.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, February 4, 1886.
T. J. Johnson vs. S. C. Sumpter, suit on promissory note; judgment for plaintiff for $109.06.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, March 11, 1886.
Tom J. Johnson is off for San Diego, California, where he will enter the real estate business with a brother there.
Winfield Courier, Thursday, March 11, 1886.
T. J. Johnson is thinking of taking a trip to the Pacific this coming week.


Cowley County Historical Society Museum