Amos Hahn is written about in the 1901 Biographical sketches of Cowley County. He came August 17, 1871.
[AUGUST 1871] PAGE 163.
AMOS HAHN was the owner of 480 acres of highly cultivated land in Ninnescah Town-ship, Cowley County, Kansas, and his home was situated on the northeast quarter of section 21. He was an enterprising farmer and a self-made man, having earned his livelihood ever since he was ten years of age. He was born in Warren County, New Jersey, July 12, 1837, and was a son of Henry and Sarah (West) Hahn, who were natives of Hunterdon County, New Jersey.
After farming all his life, Henry Hahn died in 1880. His first wife, Amos Hahn’s mother, died in 1842. She bore her husband six children: Stacy, who lived at Flemington, New Jersey; Julia, who lived in Hunterdon County, New Jersey; Amos; Elizabeth and Mary, deceased; and Harriet. By his second marriage Henry Hahn had, also, six children.
Amos Hahn, with his sisters and brothers, attended the public schools, although their opportunities were limited; at the early age of ten years, Amos began to work out. Thus he continued for two years, and the next three years he lived on his father’s farm. He then went out working for different employers until the age of twenty-two years, when, in 1870, he went to Jersey County, Illinois, where he farmed until 1871, when he settled in Cowley County, Kansas. On August 17 of that year, he took up the northeast quarter of section 21, Ninnescah Township, and improved it until 1872, when he returned to Jersey County, Illinois. There he engaged in farming for five years, after which he again came to Kansas, where he thereafter resided. In 1886, he bought the southwest quarter of section 15, known as the Downing place, and in October 1900 he added 80 acres of section 22, known as the Bennett place. He also owned the southeast quarter of section 16. He made extensive improvements on his farm; besides raising cattle and hogs to a considerable extent, he was a large grain producer.
Mr. Hahn was married August 8, 1878, to Barbara Schoene, of Lee County, Iowa, a daughter of Martin and Catherine Schoene, natives of Germany, who came to this country in 1837, and located in Pennsylvania, where the father followed farming. He died in 1880, and his widow in 1886. They had 11 children, of whom the following were still living in 1901: Kate; Philip; Elizabeth; Sophia; Martin; Charles; and Barbara.
Four children blessed the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hahn.
They were Charles Henry, George M., Spencer C., and Stacy E.
Mrs. Hahn was a member of the Methodist church. In politics Mr. Hahn was independent.